More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Jamie
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Made in Memphis - should I buy it?

Post by Jamie »

hi,

I intend to buy a couple of FTD's this week to make some inroads to the one's I don't have. I am going to pick up Tucson as I don't possess any Imports from 76 (other than Pittsburg) and I suspect it may be next in line to be deleted.

I also wanted to pick up a studio release like Made In Memphis. However, is this likely to be obselete if/when definitive versions are released on the 69 and 73 Memphis sessions? Am I likely to be wasting money in the long run?

cheers Jamie

Gator's got me Granny.

DarrylMac

Post by DarrylMac »

Jamie, i just sold my copy of Fame and Fortune, for the exact reason you describe. The material has since been released on Elvis Is Back, Something For Everyone and His Hand In Mine.

Made In Memphis is one I've held off from, just in case the material is later replicated. Maybe The Memphis Sessions, Nashville Marathon or Jungle Room discs are a better bet, if you don't already have them?

jess wade

Post by jess wade »

you would not be wasting money with the ftd cds they are all essential imo made in memphis is in my top 10 of ftd cds .

Jess Wade :D

Topic author
Jamie

thanks

Post by Jamie »

Darryl

thanks for that. I have the three you mention. Generally, I try to keep up with the studio releases and pick and choose on soundboards and movie material. But the same as you I am struggling with MIM because you can see it becoming suplus to requirements. On the other hand there has been so much released on 69 and 73 Memphis sessions will they release yet another CD even on the FTD label? It would be great to have some sort of medium to long term plan from FTD but you wonder whether they know themselves beyond the next project they are working on - I suppose funding is always an issue so perhaps that effects how far ahead they can plan.

cheers Jamie

Gator's got me Granny.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Re: thanks

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

Jamie wrote:Darryl

thanks for that. I have the three you mention. Generally, I try to keep up with the studio releases and pick and choose on soundboards and movie material. But the same as you I am struggling with MIM because you can see it becoming suplus to requirements. On the other hand there has been so much released on 69 and 73 Memphis sessions will they release yet another CD even on the FTD label? It would be great to have some sort of medium to long term plan from FTD but you wonder whether they know themselves beyond the next project they are working on - I suppose funding is always an issue so perhaps that effects how far ahead they can plan.
I don't own "Made in Memphis", so I can't recommend it, but I do suggest you buy "Out In Hollywood" if you don't have that one yet. Sure, some of those takes are released on other FTDs now, but this CD is incredibly entertaining! I love it!

In my opinion, we don't need "From Elvis In Memphis", "Elvis Country" and "Promised Land" in the Classic Album series. These albums are already available in good sound, and there is no need to duplicate the material on "Memphis Sessions", "The Nashville Marathon" and "Rhythm & Country", which are three of my all-time favourite Elvis records by the way. This reissue business is going too far sometimes...

Keith Richards, Jr.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

jeanno
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by jeanno »

In my opinion, we don't need "From Elvis In Memphis", "Elvis Country" and "Promised Land" in the Classic Album series.
I don´t agree. All three are classic albums and more out-takes from the stax sessions would be welcome.

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Whether we "need" them (or not) will always be open for discussion. But I have little doubt that we'll get them eventually as a part of the "Classic Album" series.

Rob

Re: Made in Memphis - should I buy it?

Post by Rob »

Jamie wrote:I intend to buy a couple of FTD's this week to make some inroads to the one's I don't have. Am I likely to be wasting money in the long run?
I am assuming money is tight for you or this thread you have started wouldn't exist (I suggest getting them all if possible). Since you didn't list the ones you already have, I won't start throwing titles at you. I will tell you, however, that if you can get "Made In Memphis" then do so. The sound quality is great, especially the 1973 sessions.

If they shut your electricity off because you've spent your money on FTD's, you can always get your family and huddle together under a blanket while listeing to "Made In Memphis."

By the way, don't forget to get some batteries for your CD player because you won't be able to plug it in.

Johanesson
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Johanesson »

In my opinion, we don't need "From Elvis In Memphis", "Elvis Country" and "Promised Land" in the Classic Album series.
I don't agree,too! Hopefully FTD will re-release these great albums in deluxe edition. We deserve it.

Post by Guest »

Keith Richards wrote:
Jeanno wrote:
I don´t agree. All three are classic albums and more out-takes from the stax sessions would be welcome.
I'm with you here Jeanno. I'm especially looking forward to these in the Classic Album series.

My only questions are a) when can we expect them and b) will they be issued in upgraded sound quality throughout? Certainly the packaging should be tremendous.

BigredG
Registered for: 19 years 7 months
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Post by BigredG »

Johanesson wrote:
I don't agree,too! Hopefully FTD will re-release these great albums in deluxe edition. We deserve it.
Personally I don't think we need From Elvis In Memphis, but definitely the other 2!!

Johanesson
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Johanesson »

Personally I don't think we need From Elvis In Memphis
Are you joking? That's one of the best Elvis albums! I know that there aren't too many unreleased takes,but don't forget that not everyone owns those bootlegs (American Crown Jewels,Finding The Way Home,The American Way etc.) and BMG/FTD issues (Suspicious Minds etc.)

Rob

Post by Rob »

Johanesson wrote:not everyone owns those bootlegs (American Crown Jewels,Finding The Way Home,The American Way etc.) and BMG/FTD issues (Suspicious Minds etc.)
Heaven forbid! I didn't know such people existed.

Post by Guest »

Rob, such people do exists :!: Talk about American Crown Jewels and Finding the way home are not easy to find theese days, I`ve been looking for those for a long time together with other nice releases.
Ok, maybe you`ll say try Ebay :wink:
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigredG
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Post by BigredG »

Johanesson wrote:....not everyone owns those bootlegs (American Crown Jewels,Finding The Way Home,The American Way etc.) and BMG/FTD issues (Suspicious Minds etc.)
You are kidding of course :lol:

Post by Guest »

Jamie, I think you should have Made in Memphis, it`s a nice cd. But it would`ve been nice to know what other FTD`s you don`t have, because if you entend to have them all, some maybe would be better to get first. But then again what you prefere is maybe something else than someone else.

We should do a new up to date FTD Favorite list :D

Matthew

Re: Made in Memphis - should I buy it?

Post by Matthew »

Jamie wrote:I also wanted to pick up a studio release like Made In Memphis. However, is this likely to be obselete if/when definitive versions are released on the 69 and 73 Memphis sessions? Am I likely to be wasting money in the long run?
DarrylMac wrote:Jamie, i just sold my copy of Fame and Fortune, for the exact reason you describe. The material has since been released on Elvis Is Back, Something For Everyone and His Hand In Mine.
This was always a very poor decision on FTDs part, re-releasing material already out on the label.

BigredG

Post by BigredG »

I would go for Made In Memphis - it is an interesting Cd with lots of hidden gemlets, like the phrasing change in Love Coming Down - awesome!!!

Mike DK

Post by Mike DK »

Personally, I can't wait for the classic Album release of albums such as From Elvis in Memphis and Back In Memphis. The sound will no doubt be fantastic and the outtakes will all be STEREO (unlike the bootlegs). Bring em' on !

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Registered for: 21 years

Post by ekenee »

I prefer that they don't release every single album again. It's been done so many times. Plus the tracks form certain albums came from various sessions.

I prefer that they release the cd's from sessions.
ie. Elvis is back. 69 sessions. Jungle rooms sessons.
It's a better format with less repeats.

Post by Guest »

Ekenee wrote:
I prefer that they don't release every single album again. It's been done so many times.
But not as well as it could be done under the FTD label with fantastic artwork and an extended selection of unreleased alternate takes spread over TWO discs.

Without doubt these issues should amount to the definitive release of these albums....as long as we can count on upgraded sound for all the original LP tracks.

If this can be guaranteed (as it has been with the other recent releases in this series), then I can't wait.

Topic author
Jamie

thanks

Post by Jamie »

thanks for the responses. I have around 32 out of 50 odd FTD's. Basically, I have only bought 2 of the Movie soundtracks (VLVegas and FunIA) and too date I have been picky over which Soundboards to buy. I do intend to have a recording from each tour/engagement eventually. But some of the reviews are so bad (Dragon heart) that I will only pick up the CD for completion purposes at a later date. Or if there is a better import from a tour I may even do that instead in the long run. Whilst I'm fortunate that the money isn't a major issue I still want to be entertained for my 15 quid. So for the moment I'm happy to be choosy.

The views on MIM are very positive so I'll probably bite the bullet. It's just frustrating to think that it may get overtaken by future releases.

By the way I too am an alien species as I don't own any imports of the memphis sessions - there my secrets out and I feel better for sharing that already!

cheers Jamie

Gator's got me Granny.

TONY
Registered for: 21 years

Post by TONY »

[quote="Mike S"]

But not as well as it could be done under the FTD label with fantastic artwork and an extended selection of unreleased alternate takes spread over TWO discs.

BMG have already done this in 1999 and called it (rather unimaginitively) "Suspicious minds"! It had "From Elvis in Memphis" on disc 1 followed by out-takes and masters spread across the 2 discs.

Post by Guest »

TONY wrote:
"Suspicious minds"! It had "From Elvis in Memphis" on disc 1 followed by out-takes and masters spread across the 2 discs.
For this album you are correct. But as a fellow audiophile, I'm sure you would agree that there's plenty of room for improved sound not to mention superior packaging under the FTD label.

(Great Elvis disco last Saturday by the way)

Jth

Post by Jth »

Made in Memphis - should I buy it?
Yes, if you really, really, really, really *gasp* really, really, really dislike bootlegs having a better sounding versions of "Where No One Stands Alone" than the FTD cd "Unchained Melody", then I suggest you don't touch that cd release with a ten foot pole