Elvis' Christmas Album - 1957

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Keith F

Elvis' Christmas Album - 1957

Post by Keith F »

As the years are quickly passing by, and the 50 year copyright issue is quickly catching up with BMG, I wondered when (or if) there would be FTD's catching up and releasing the rest of the 50's studio material before it gets too late for them to independently do so?

'Elvis' Christmas Album' for example, could be a single disc (as no out-takes appear to exist) and could include all of the masters as they appeared on the original release, but also they could include them again, maybe with the count-in's (where they exist) before the masters (Just an idea! :roll: ).

If this were to happen, I wonder how many would prefer the sound of the Japanese Paper Sleeve (Loud and Bright - too bright in my opinion!) or would like to hear it as it was originally done, as Kevan has done with "Elvis At SUN", "Elvis Presley - FTD" and "Loving You - FTD"?

I personally would like it the way it was originally recorded - and intended to be, as opposed to the Paper Sleeve sound of this release, but I wondered how other people felt about this?

This would also apply to "King Creole" too if that ever got a release on FTD - They could include all the regular masters, but also the acetates too (Muskrat Ramble etc...) with the count-in's.

Opinions please :wink:

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Would be great!

Topic author
JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Keith F: I'm with you. I would like to hear it as originally intended ala Kevan or Sebastian.

I have the paper sleeve version. It's overrated (imo).

bajo

Post by bajo »

Since the original Elvis' Christmas album contained the gospel numbers also, it would suit this release fine to add the outtakes from those, which also include some binaural outtakes! Would be a nice FTD Classic album!

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

elbo51

Post by elbo51 »

Again Keith I'm with you on this too :)

Topic author
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

It stands to reason that all the 50s material will eventually be remastered by Kevan but lets not bring down the Japanese CD as a result. That edition sounds fantastic in its own right and matches the original vinyl sleeve perfectly. The FTD will more than likely be in the 7" format.

I would surely expect FTD to have the recordings remastered. The question is who has the best source tape? The Japanese CD sounds so good a) due to good mastering and b) (as this is rumoured) the finding of the original Japanese album master from 1957.

Keith, I'm not sure I understand what you mean here: "I personally would like it the way it was originally recorded - and intended to be, as opposed to the Paper Sleeve sound of this release"

The paper sleeve is merely remastered.

Topic author
Keith F

Post by Keith F »

Matthew wrote:Keith, I'm not sure I understand what you mean here: "I personally would like it the way it was originally recorded - and intended to be, as opposed to the Paper Sleeve sound of this release"

The paper sleeve is merely remastered.
Yes - but it's remastered too bright in my opinion, and I'm one person who can't praise the Paper Sleeve releases enough!

I would prefer to hear the songs as they appeared on say, the "I Wish You A Merry Christmas" CD - as that (Rare release) stayed faithful to the way the songs were originally recorded (sound wise).

MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

No "ifs, ands or maybes" about it, "Elvis' Christmas Album" LOC 1035 needs to be remastered by Kevan. At least he'd restore the intro to "Silent Night." It'd be a dream come true, if outtakes were discovered, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'd also like to see Kevan remaster "King Creole" and "Jailhouse Rock," which should be released on FTD this year for its 50th anniversary.

Mystery Train

Topic author
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

MysteryTrain wrote:No "ifs, ands or maybes" about it, "Elvis' Christmas Album" LOC 1035 needs to be remastered by Kevan. At least he'd restore the intro to "Silent Night."
It's right there on the paper sleeve 8)

Mike DK

Post by Mike DK »

Bajo;

I agree. They could include all availbale outtakes of the gospel songs both in mono and binaural (like they did with Loving you on the FTD edition for the soundtrack).
Maybe an good idea also to include "Don't" and "My wish came true" which were recorded at the same session as the christmas songs (like when they included surrender on His Hand In Mine FTD edition).

Topic author
JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Mike DK wrote:Bajo;

I agree. They could include all availbale outtakes of the gospel songs both in mono and binaural (like they did with Loving you on the FTD edition for the soundtrack).
Maybe an good idea also to include "Don't" and "My wish came true" which were recorded at the same session as the christmas songs (like when they included surrender on His Hand In Mine FTD edition).

Mike DK: Excellent idea!!

Topic author
thekingisalive

Post by thekingisalive »

I expect Kevan Budd to work his magic on all of the ’50s recordings. I also expect this album to be released this December as a single disc, where we get all of the gospel outtakes plus count-ins and maybe even the odd surprise.

Elvis should also be released in a similar fashion, perhaps with that last Hayride concert as a nice bonus.

Per

Topic author
thekingisalive

Post by thekingisalive »

The December Hayride show may actually be released as a bonus on the Love Me Tender soundtrack instead. I think it’s a better venue for it.

Per

Topic author
Keith F

Post by Keith F »

thekingisalive wrote:The December Hayride show may actually be released as a bonus on the Love Me Tender soundtrack instead. I think it’s a better venue for it.

Per
What? You're joking - Right?

Topic author
thekingisalive

Post by thekingisalive »

I’m not joking. Love Me Tender has got four songs in it, including the title track. How many minutes of outtakes do we have? It’s going to be a short CD. Yes, I do think this movie deserves its independent release as a classic album. The Hayride concert fits thematically better with Elvis, but Love Me Tender is kind of a hayride movie, isn’t it?

Per

Topic author
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Is is probably more likely that the Love Me Tender sessions will be included on "Elvis" rather than having its own release.

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

Matthew wrote:Is is probably more likely that the Love Me Tender sessions will be included on "Elvis" rather than having its own release.
Dead right and to go further Elvis Christmas album combined with Jailhouse Rock.

Then King Creole together with the remaining non-movie singles through to June 58.

This would provide, hopefully double albums of merit.

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

I hope it is done with punch 57 xmas music! If it is done too conservative then I rather have a little on the bright side than a little on the dark/dull side....IMO... Got that guys! :wink:

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

thekingisalive wrote:The December Hayride show may actually be released as a bonus on the Love Me Tender soundtrack instead.
Please. A complete, reasonably well-recorded, mostly UNISSUED Elvis Presley show from 1956 is NOT going to used as "bonus" material.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
thekingisalive

Post by thekingisalive »

That concert runs for, what, twenty minutes? That makes for one helluva short CD, unless something else is added. The sound quality is amazing, and it will be even better when Kevan Budd has had his say.

Per

thenexte

Re: Elvis' Christmas Album - 1957

Post by thenexte »

Keith F wrote:I personally would like it the way it was originally recorded - and intended to be, as opposed to the Paper Sleeve sound of this release, but I wondered how other people felt about this?
I'm very happy with the 2003 DSD remaster of the "Elvis Christmas Album" (as included in "Christmas Peace" or "Elvis Christmas") and feel it sounds exactly the way it was originally recorded. I doubt they will revisit something mastered so recently unless they find better tape sources, it just doesn't make any business sense. Furthermore, with the lack of any outtakes from this session and the wide availability of the original album material to the general public the inclusion of this album in a future FTD deluxe edition seems really hard to justify.

drjohncarpenter

thekingisalive wrote:That concert runs for, what, twenty minutes?
Nope. The tape may run 45 minutes. If it was just half that, it would still be a stand alone release, for the reasons cited above.

It seems too many of your comments are made out of ignorance, as a recent FECC interview with Joey Kent of the Hayride Archives proves:
Joey Kent wrote:Elvis' final Hayride performance ran between 35 and 45 minutes long and contained the following ten songs in order: "Heartbreak Hotel," "Long Tall Sally," "I Was The One," "Love Me Tender," "Don't Be Cruel," "Love Me," "I Got A Woman," "When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again," "Paralyzed" and "Hound Dog."
Why do you bother?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
thekingisalive

Post by thekingisalive »

I know the set list, and I’ve heard at least three of the songs from this show. Sound quality is awesome. So what if the running time is longer than my estimation? 40 minutes isn’t that much to brag about either. Many people are going to complain about the running time versus the cost of the CD if it’s released on FTD. I can’t stand listening to that kind of crap. Can you?

Per

Topic author
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Whatever is planned for this material it is highly doubtful it would be used as bonus material to produce a Love Me Tender FTD. More than likely if it isn't subject to its own release it would be included on Elvis - Special Edition along with probably the Love Me Tender sessions thus rounding off the year 1956. That would make quite an attractive package.

drjohncarpenter

thekingisalive wrote:Many people are going to complain about the running time ...
No, probably just people like you.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.