Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

No CD rot on my Elvis CDs! (I think!)

Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:27 pm

I don't know how to explain this in English but here goes:

When I was fixin' to play my "Out In Hollywood" CD, I noticed a crazy sort of pattern on the silver side of the disc. I thought it looked weird so I took out some of my other Elvis CDs to see if they looked the same. And yeah, quite a few of them did - for example "Long Lonely Highway", "Tomorrow Is A Long Time", "Closing Night" and "The Jungle Room Sessions". I also checked some of the hundreds of non-Elvis CDs I have but only found this on one (1) other CD.

The CDs play fine, there is absolutely nothing wrong with them... so far. But what is this stuff? I have read a bit about CD rot (most or all of the CDs affacted by CD rot apparently look messed up on the silver side) and need some expert to calm me down and tell me that, Keith, there is no need to worry, you will be able to enjoy your "Out In Hollywood" CD when you're 70 years old too. It's nothing wrong with it.

EDIT: I have done some serious researh on CD rot and have posted my conclusions below.

Keith Richards, Jr.
Last edited by Keith Richards, Jr. on Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:30 pm

Sorry mate, your Cds are doomed. Destroy them now before they infect the rest of your collection :wink:

Or better yet, post them all to me and I'll dispose of them appropriately!!!

Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:39 pm

I would call in Larry Geller to analyze and interpret the strange pattern.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:44 pm

Haha. Thanks for the advices, guys! :D

Keith Richards, Jr.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:53 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Haha. Thanks for the advices, guys! :D

Keith Richards, Jr.

If it is a mental problem, call Larry,
If it is a metal problem, call Uri.

Always works.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:00 pm

Hi,

this happends to be on more than on FTD CD, I have seen it on some of the CDs before, too but it had no bad effects. But talking about CD Rot, I had a FTD Fun in Acapulco that was infected and became unplayable.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:18 pm

Wonderstuffer wrote:Hi,

this happends to be on more than on FTD CD, I have seen it on some of the CDs before, too but it had no bad effects. But talking about CD Rot, I had a FTD Fun in Acapulco that was infected and became unplayable.

Hmm. That doesn't sound too good at all. Perhaps FTD / BMG need to change pressing plant? The CDs play fine now but I'd like to know if they're still playable in 2013.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:34 pm

Have confidence, Keith. There's no job too immense when you've got confidence.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:16 pm

Rob wrote:Have confidence, Keith. There's no job too immense when you've got confidence.

CRAP Rob............now that atrocity is going to be playing in my head all day.
Fortunately, my 45 of "Feelings" is right beside me..........

Ahhhhhhhh..........FEEEEEEEEELINGS, nothing more than FEEEEEEEELINGS....

Hey Doc..............what's playing in YOUR head now?? :lol: :lol:

Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:53 pm

Scatter wrote: Hey Doc..............what's playing in YOUR head now?? :lol: :lol:

Who Knows??? :wink:

:D

Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:51 am

It could be Elvis Duck sperm. :wink:

Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:24 am

woodleyjohn wrote:
Scatter wrote:
Rob wrote:Hey Doc..............what's playing in YOUR head now?? :lol: :lol:

The voices....it's the voices telling him that he's never wrong.

Sadly, you are probably right.

Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:39 am

OK, I spent an hour yesterday trying to figure what CD rot actually is. I read several articles and have also seen some pictures of discs infected by this terrible disease. And not one of them mentions / shows aything like the "pattern" on my FTD discs. CDs suffering from CD rot always have a kind brown / bronze colour to them, like coffee stains. The mysterious pattern on the silver side of my FTD CDs is the same color as the rest of the disc, but not as shiny. So whatever it is, it's (hopefully) not CD rot. It does look wrong but as the CDs play fine and I can't find any information about it I have to believe that they're allright.

Conclusion: I will be able to play "Out In Hollywood" in my retirement home in 2046! Wonderful!

:smt020

Keith Richards, Jr.

Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:35 pm

Thanks John. From what I understand, CD rot has almost exclusively been found on CDs manufactered by one particular pressing plant, PDO in Ireland. That some CD-Rs become unplayable is not an issue for me because I don't own any of those, my collection is 100% original CDs. As long as you treat your original CDs with care they should last a lifetime. I have never had any problems with any of my CDs and I have hundreds of them.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:37 pm

This does not sound like cd rot at all - you'll be ok.

Sounds like the problem certain There's always Me Cds and Cut Em Down To Size had. Just a reaction to the plastic of the digipak. In this case, the "milky" appearance of the discs could be rectified with warm water and washing up liquid!!

There seems to be a couple of types of real CD rot. On the CD HURT on Sunset label actual holes appeared in the disc. Walk A Mile In My Shoes had black marks and Pure Stage power had this coffee type appearance!!

Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:09 pm

BIGREDG wrote:This does not sound like cd rot at all - you'll be ok.

Sounds like the problem certain There's always Me Cds and Cut Em Down To Size had. Just a reaction to the plastic of the digipak. In this case, the "milky" appearance of the discs could be rectified with warm water and washing up liquid!!

Hello!

I think you are right. However, some CD's becomes almost unplayable because of this "oxidation ". I have had four og five CD's with this and washed them clean. As for vol 1 of G. I. Blues (Bilko) the CD was so badly affected that it wouldn't play before I had washed and scratched(!!) it several times. The result was a CD with terrible marks after the washing, but it finally played correct. After this process, some 5 years ago, it has not been necessary to do it again. So it looks like it is a one time operation? Hopefully!

Regards

Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:14 pm

Hi there !

I have a few tips in case of a CD problem.

With cd or cdr.
if a cd or cdr doesn't play anymore on a stand alone cd player or you hear a kind of klicks (This happens mostly when somebody uses a sticker label)
Or surface is damaged by a agresssive marker (The run around) :twisted:

You could place them in your pc and make a backup by converting them to wave files. In thsi way he reads it as data and you can make a new cd.
for the (not to handy types) use the lowest burning speed I asume that most of you have 4 x as lowest , This will prevent that the cd won't play on a stand alone.
I lost a few damage and and saved a few afterall.
Well with the ongoing chase for AR I have many of them on a HD . in that way I ahve back up.
maybe an Idea, since more and more people have a multimedia center.
Its easy to burn a cd if needed in the car or to give away.

I know the orginal cd is lost but you have saved the audio.

Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:52 pm

I've just re-looked at my copy of "Hurt" on the Sunset label and it has got CD rot and looks like the playing side & the label side has become pitted on the surface. It still plays but the sound is muffled,so it looks like a repair job.

Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:14 pm

Better to grab a copy of CHARLESTON ROCKS = the same show as HURT but taken from casette tape source and the Cd is of much better sound quality.

HURT CD aluminium layer is basically destroyed, thousands of holes there... as far as I know all copies suffer from this. Some sensitive CD players will signalize ERROR and it will be impossible to play it. Funny enough, few years back I have tried to freeze the disc to some -18 and it play well then... :-)