Post by tcb4 »

hi all

just 2 quick questions

when was EPE created ?and by whom ?

thanks

Tom in North Carolina
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Tom in North Carolina »

I always thought that Elvis (and the Colonel, of course) created EPE in 1956 to capture the marketing revenue.

Tom

Topic author
tcb4
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

re

Post by tcb4 »

thanx tom

Post by Guest »

I think maybe that tcb4 meant the Elvis Estate which is run today.

Good question of which i have no answer.

Im assuming Priscilla.

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

I think Tom is right. It was 1956. It may have even been late 1955. The colonel was quick to capture those merchandising rights. What was created then is still the same company in essense that runs the thing now. that is my understanding. Obviously when Elvis died the authority changed. To Vernon? Then Priscilla via Lisa because she was minor.

E-Cat

Re: when was EPE created ?

Post by E-Cat »

tcb4 wrote:when was EPE created ?and by whom ?
ekenee wrote:I think Tom is right. It was 1956. It may have even been late 1955. The colonel was quick to capture those merchandising rights. What was created then is still the same company in essense that runs the thing now. that is my understanding. Obviously when Elvis died the authority changed. To Vernon? Then Priscilla via Lisa because she was minor.
EPE Inc. was created by Priscilla in 1980 - on behalf of Elvis Presley Trust (after Vernon died).

Please do not thank me--- Thank Elvis for making THIS happen.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

The original Elvis Presley Enterprises was formed in conjuction with Special Products, Inc. to market more than 180 Elvis-related items in 1956, located at 160 Union Avenue in Memphis. The company was formed by Bob Neal and Elvis when Neal managed Elvis. It was dissolved when Colonel Tom Parker became Elvis' manager.

Topic author
tcb4
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

re

Post by tcb4 »

so from 56 to 1977, how much did EP and colonel own of EPE ?

elvis-fan

Re: re

Post by elvis-fan »

tcb4 wrote:so from 56 to 1977, how much did EP and colonel own of EPE ?
Is that a serious question?

E-Cat

Post by E-Cat »

elvis-fan wrote:
The original Elvis Presley Enterprises..
yes- but ... EPE Inc. as it is runs today and is commonly referred to in the media and Elvis world, is created by Priscilla in 1980.
elvis-fan wrote:
The company was formed by Bob Neal and Elvis when Neal managed Elvis.

It seems unlikely that Bob Neal and Elvis formed Special Projects (not Products). It was Henry G 'Hank' Saperstein of Special Projects who signed the
licensing deal with Elvis / Colonel and Business Associates (even a letter from Hank Saperstein of Special Projects to Elvis was auctioned).
elvis-fan wrote:
It was dissolved when Colonel Tom Parker became Elvis' manager.
The licensing agreement was signed in July 1956, after Bob Neal's contract had already expired in March 1956.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

E-Cat wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
The original Elvis Presley Enterprises..
yes- but ... EPE Inc. as it is runs today and is commonly referred to in the media and Elvis world, is created by Priscilla in 1980.
elvis-fan wrote:
The company was formed by Bob Neal and Elvis when Neal managed Elvis.

It seems unlikely that Bob Neal and Elvis formed Special Projects (not Products). It was Henry G 'Hank' Saperstein of Special Projects who signed the
licensing deal with Elvis / Colonel and Business Associates (even a letter from Hank Saperstein of Special Projects to Elvis was auctioned).
elvis-fan wrote:
It was dissolved when Colonel Tom Parker became Elvis' manager.
The licensing agreement was signed in July 1956, after Bob Neal's contract had already expired in March 1956.
Hey gimme a break man... I just quoted from a book... I didn't say it was right!!! :wink:

elvislennon
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by elvislennon »

The EPE that is around today was created by Priscilla and not Elvis or the Colonel or who ever. The original Elvis Company was created by Elvis and Colonel but was dissolved just before Elvis went into the army. But it wasn't called EPE. It had a different name. It was called Elvis Presley Inc. EPE that Priscilla created was originally called Elvis Presley Estate but changed its name to Elvis Presley Enterprises after only a few months so it can go into the bounds of his music, likeness, videos and etc. That is what my book tells. The first video that shows the original EPE name was on Elvis In Concert video or at least the one my friend has. It was release about the same time the EPE was created. EIC was taken off the shelves qucikly though after being release for about a month. The story goes that that is when Elvis Presley Enterprises changed from Elvis Presley Estate.

E-Cat

Post by E-Cat »

No, no !!
elvislennon wrote:EPE that Priscilla created was originally called Elvis Presley Estate but changed its name to Elvis Presley Enterprises after only a few months so it can go into the bounds of his music, likeness, videos and etc. That is what my book tells.
Care to share the title of your book..facts please ?
elvislennon wrote:EIC was taken off the shelves qucikly though after being release for about a month. The story goes that that is when Elvis Presley Enterprises changed from Elvis Presley Estate.
Which story ...? EIC was never released officialy.

Tom in North Carolina

Post by Tom in North Carolina »

elvislennon wrote:The EPE that is around today was created by Priscilla and not Elvis or the Colonel or who ever. The original Elvis Company was created by Elvis and Colonel but was dissolved just before Elvis went into the army. But it wasn't called EPE. It had a different name. It was called Elvis Presley Inc.
As usual, elvislennon is running his mouth with absolutely no idea what he's talking about. There were pins, billfolds, bracelets, and a ton of other crap from 1956 and 1957 with Elvis Presley Enterprises clearly printed on them. Dude, if you don't have anything useful or relevant to say, just keep your mouth shut.

Tom

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Cryogenic »

Tom in North Carolina wrote:
elvislennon wrote:The EPE that is around today was created by Priscilla and not Elvis or the Colonel or who ever. The original Elvis Company was created by Elvis and Colonel but was dissolved just before Elvis went into the army. But it wasn't called EPE. It had a different name. It was called Elvis Presley Inc.
As usual, elvislennon is running his mouth with absolutely no idea what he's talking about. There were pins, billfolds, bracelets, and a ton of other crap from 1956 and 1957 with Elvis Presley Enterprises clearly printed on them. Dude, if you don't have anything useful or relevant to say, just keep your mouth shut.
This is what elvislennon does.

Joern

Post by Joern »

elvislennon wrote:Which story ...? EIC was never released officialy.
I think he's referring to the vinyl release with the same name.

Joern

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

I was just on ebay and listed currently is a December 1955 Memphis Tenn. phone book, with "Elvis Presley Enterprises" listed, with the address shown as 160 Union Ave.

Check it out. Its item number 180077658147.

They have pictures of all relevent Elvis listings.

So this proves it was going before 1956. They probably didn't get the merchandising going until mid 1956 but it was a business several months before that took place.

E-Cat

Post by E-Cat »

ekenee wrote:So this proves it was going before 1956. They probably didn't get the merchandising going until mid 1956 but it was a business several months before that took place.
Interesting - thanks !

elvislennon

Post by elvislennon »

There was two different EPE. Elvis had a Elvis Presley Enterprises up until the army. It was dissolved at that point and mostly refer to as Elvis Presley Inc. I have some phone books from Memphis that I bought off of Ebay of the years 1956, 1961, 1966, 1967, 1970, 1975, and 1977 and only one out of those list Elvis Presley Enterrpises. The rest doesn't. So if he had one in the other years why wasn't it listed? Elvis In Concert was release for a short time back in 1981. It is even listed in a video book that came out in 1989. It says that you can buy the video (at the time) for $78.00 but there were only a dozen left.

The book I am getting this from is a book about different companies over the years. It was written in 2000. It includes Elvs Presley Enterprises twice (but it refers mostly as Elvis Presley INC. too one of those.) and Elvis Presley Estate. Elvis Presley Estate lasted for only a few months. This book says only 7 months. It tells a good history of Elvis Presley Estate. It says that four videos was release and a few other items.

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Last edited by Steve_M on Sun May 27, 2007 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nigel
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by nigel »

(Genesis sayeth) When was EPE created?.....on the 8th day!

elvislennon

Post by elvislennon »

nigel wrote:(Genesis sayeth) When was EPE created?.....on the 8th day!
no it was the ninth day. A king had to be born before then........ :P

nigel

Post by nigel »

elvislennon

But Elvis is the king.

Nigel

elvislennon

Post by elvislennon »

who do you think I was referring to...... :roll:

nigel

Post by nigel »

elvislennon

Ooops...my apols. Wasn't thinking as I wrote - had my young 'un snapping at my heels for food.

Nigel