Remixes

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author

Remixes

Post by Guest »

Back in about 1985, RCA released the Always On My Mind album, which contained several tracks that contained overdubs. Tracks were Always On My Mind, You Gave Me A Mountain (Aloha version), It's Midnight, Bitter They Are, Harder They Fall and quite possibly Solitaire and a couple of others. I have never read any where in books or the web where and when these overdubs / remixes were done. Can anyone out there help?

Thanks in advance.

Eann

joshferrell

Post by joshferrell »

I think they we're "remastered" as oppossed to remix,I remember reading something about RCA and the producers of the remstering job arguing over how much bass it should have or something like that,I do know that the mixes were considred by most to be way too bassey and way too muffled....

bajo

Post by bajo »

If I'm not mistaken, it was Gregg Geller who produced these remixes.
He was also involved in the Reconsider Baby and The Memphis Record albums at that time.

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

elvislennon

Post by elvislennon »

There not remixes in reality. They are just the original music with added instruments and so on. Remixes is like Guitar Man from 1981 and The ones that has been release like Rubberneckin', Little Less Conversation, Suspicious Minds, Burning Love and so on. Those are remixes. The ones on Always On My Mind album is not remixes.

Deke Rivers II

Post by Deke Rivers II »

Actually a Remix is any time the original multi-track recordings are assembled together in a manner that is different to the original.

eg. (background singers can be dropped down in the mix....strings can be made more prominent or switch channels....piano can be low in the mix and guitars raised....the change in the mix can be sutble or drastic in nature.

A Remix does not have to be a modern remix as you describe elvislennon.

Many of the Greg Geller compilations do feature remixes as done by Rick Rowe (Some, I prefer over the originals).
Last edited by Deke Rivers II on Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Deke Rivers II wrote:Actually a Remix is any time the original multi-track recordings are assembled together in a manor that is different to the original.

eg. (background singers can be dropped down in the mix....strings can be made more prominent or switch channels....piano can be low in the mix and guitars raised....the change in the mix can be sutble or drastic in nature.

Many of the Greg Geller compilations do feature remixes as done by Rick Rowe (Some, I prefer over the originals).
You've highlighted an anomaly there which has been discussed on here before.

The original meaning of 'remix' was as you described, with just the levels of the various recorded elements being adjusted to a higher or lower volume on the multi-track tape.

But today, it more often means new instrumentation etc being recorded over the original track.

It's a pity we don't have two separate words for the two quite different things.

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

LesterB

Post by LesterB »

ColinB wrote: It's a pity we don't have two separate words for the two quite different things.
We do - REMIXING & MESSING

JUST FOR TODAY

Deke Rivers II

Post by Deke Rivers II »

ColinB wrote:
Deke Rivers II wrote:Actually a Remix is any time the original multi-track recordings are assembled together in a manor that is different to the original.

You've highlighted an anomaly there which has been discussed on here before.

The original meaning of 'remix' was as you described, with just the levels of the various recorded elements being adjusted to a higher or lower volume on the multi-track tape.

But today, it more often means new instrumentation etc being recorded over the original track.

It's a pity we don't have two separate words for the two quite different things.
Colin, I think by simply adding the word, "Modern" to remix we can take it to mean new instrumentation such as the "Junkie JXL" or "Paul Oakenfold" remixes. If it isn't a "Modern Remix", it never the less is still a remix if all original multi-track tapes were used to create a different sounding recording from that of the original.

Deke Rivers II

Post by Deke Rivers II »

LesterB wrote:
ColinB wrote: It's a pity we don't have two separate words for the two quite different things.
We do - REMIXING & MESSING
I couldn't help but laugh at this one Lester.

I have to add that I simply love the "JXL" remix of "A Little Less Conversation" and would welcome more on this level of talent. While driving down the road 2 or 3 days ago I heard what seemed to be an alternate "JXL remix" of this track and I just loved it (the ending was quite different than the one that I am used to). It is great to hear Elvis on the radio in 2007 on a contemporary radio station!

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Deke Rivers II wrote:Colin, I think by simply adding the word, "Modern" to remix we can take it to mean new instrumentation such as the "Junkie JXL" or "Paul Oakenfold" remixes. If it isn't a "Modern Remix", it never the less is still a remix if all original multi-track tapes were used to create a different sounding recording from that of the original.
Well, yes, that would solve the problem, if people made that distinction, but they don't, and the term remains simply 'remix' for both.

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Topic author

Post by Guest »

For what it's worth, I am strongly opposed to remixes... I want to hear the music the way Elvis (or at least the original producers) intended. I am not into rewriting history. To me, so many of these recordings sounded wonderful as originally released and I honestly see no need for remixing. This is the way I fell in love with the music.

However, if it's remastered (as opposed to remixed) with skill (as Kevan Budd and Vic Anesini do), then I am all for it.

And let's use the best possible tape source as possible.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

When I fooled with WTLOL it can be considered modern a la junkie BUTno instruments added..working with the signal only plus an effect or 2...So whats that?? DON"T ANSWER! :lol: :lol: :lol:

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

Why don't we call a "modern" remix...just what it is ....an overdubbed remix :?:

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

KiwiAlan wrote:Why don't we call a "modern" remix...just what it is ....an overdubbed remix :?:
Good question...I think that when lots of people started calling REMIX it got stuck.....because most do not know about the process really..IMO.

Deke Rivers II

Post by Deke Rivers II »

I would like to hear some of your remixes JLGB.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Deke Rivers II wrote:I would like to hear some of your remixes JLGB.
Ok..everything original except effect you cannot miss lol!! Drums are just delayed to change # of beats with slapback/delay.. etc... http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=CE60F2D823EBAEA8

TONY

YGMAM

Post by TONY »

There is definitely a bass drum added onto "You gave me a mountain" on the 1985 "Always on my mind" album, giving the song a bit of a dance beat!?

Topic author
Juan Luis

Re: YGMAM

Post by Juan Luis »

TONY wrote:There is definitely a bass drum added onto "You gave me a mountain" on the 1985 "Always on my mind" album, giving the song a bit of a dance beat!?
There was one for that show IMO..

Topic author

Post by Guest »

Thanks for an interesting thread, I`m learning :D . I`m one of those who like the idea of remixed songs, excl. A little less conversation(Too much electronic music added). I`ve heard the remix of Always on my mind, Burning love etc. and I like them and I think they should do this to a lot of Elvis songs. It brings new life and more power to the songs :!:

Topic author

Post by Guest »

Thanks to all who responded, much appreciated. All I can add is that there is no doubt in my mind that It's Midnight also features additional instrumentation, notably the drum beats at the beginning. Anyone know who actually did the overdubs and when?

TJ

Post by TJ »

shawn1968 wrote:For what it's worth, I am strongly opposed to remixes... I want to hear the music the way Elvis (or at least the original producers) intended. I am not into rewriting history. To me, so many of these recordings sounded wonderful as originally released and I honestly see no need for remixing. This is the way I fell in love with the music.
I've never really got behind that argument for one reason - you still can hear the music originally intended! How does the existence of a remix stop you or anyone else listening to the original? I would share the strong opposition if remixing a song meant also removing the original version from the market, but as things stand they are just a bit of fun. The quality does vary from pretty good to terrible though.

Topic author
JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

I'm not a fan of modern remixes. Though I do admit I did enjoy ALLC for awhile until I got sick of hearing it.

Rubberneckin' however made me upchuck.

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

Good point, TJ. The more the merrier, as long as they don't somehow get in the way of the integrity of the originals, which, as it is, happens when outtakes like "Follow That Dream" or "A Fool Such As I" start to shove aside the original masters.

It's true that the "A Valentine's Gift for you" release techinically has remixes on it (I got the LP back in '85 and still have it) but as I recall someone saying, they're pretty muddy sounding by today's standards.

The '85 Golden Records Vol. 5 which I once had on LP (then sold off) and then replaced on CD last year when I heard about the remixes, is kind of neat. Nothing radical but worth having, even if otherwise the release seems like a cheaper cousin of the expanded late '90s version.

I was listening to parts of two "ElvisExpress.com" radio show downloads just today (from just before Christmas) and heard some interesting remixes: a rather cool "Stay Away Joe" remix (no lie) as well as a bad-ass version of the slow-blues version of "Stranger In My Own Home Town", in which parts of other songs vocals are included (usually bluesy stuff) including parts of the infamous '74 Vegas rants heard on "Desert Storm," such as the "Strung Out" rant. I think this may even be the "Strung Out" Remix I once read about by Pep on this forum.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

TONY

REMIXES

Post by TONY »

I find these remixes fine to play at Elvis discos up and down the country, especially at "Capital Elvis" where there is quite a young-ish crowd, but find myself never listening to them at home.
Does anyone have these new remixes as mentioned in the post above? I would love to hear them.

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

Tony, I have that portion of the "Elvis Express" show saved on another computer . They have an archive on their site and I think it was just before Christmas (it's a weekly show, I think). I'll see if I can get it to you.

I listened again yesterday and I see it's called "Stranger In My Own Hometown" ('Desert Storm Mix)." And it's just hillarious that someone can even bother with "Stay Away, Joe" : they actually keep it faithful but add another dimension to it. :lol:

I've heard other movie tunes "get the treatment" but mostly that's really beneath the radar. I'd like more of this stuff to bubble up. It can be fun once in awhile.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality