Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Does EPE own Elvis' Ed Sullivan footage?

Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:20 am

In 1996, TVLand aired a 30 min "Best of Ed Sullivan" program and it was a variety of different acts from over the years.

Quite often in between shows, (ie between "Hogan's Heroes" and "Gomer Pyle" for example) they aired a complete song of Elvis on Ed Sullivan, like 3 min. video. "Don't Be Cruel" then a few hours later they may show "Love Me Tender" and sometime tomorrow they'll show "Too Much"

But suddenly that stopped and all the Ed Sullivan stuff was taken off TV Land.

It may be a cynical rush to judgment on my part, but did EPE discover that people could see historic Elvis on Ed Sullivan footage --- for free --- so "we must stop that!" so they bought the rights to the Elvis footage and pulled the plug and shoved it away in their sacred vault. :?:

Does anyone know for sure about this? I haven't seen Elvis clips from the Ed show since then.

The Beatles performances on Ed have been recently packaged as a very interesting DVD but what about the Elvis footage?

where did it go?

Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:24 pm

Agreed. EPE does not own the footage. They own the "image" as far a the US goes. If this was shown in the US, there are very strange laws over there.

That would would not happen here in the UK. Thats why Sid Shaw won the case against EPE those years ago.