Silent Night without Christmas message - where 2b found?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Peter66
Registered for: 21 years

Silent Night without Christmas message - where 2b found?

Post by Peter66 »

I haven't cared too much about that so far, but all (CD) versions of Silent Night I own have Elvis Christmas message overdubbed.

As there are so many budget Christmas releases out around the time (what surprise 8) ), can anybody give me a hint, whether there is any CD among them without the overdubbed message?

Thanks in advance and a Merry Christmas to you all.

Peter

Post by Guest »

On Christmas peace there is no Elvis christmas message.

ritchie valens
Banned for Political Trolling
Banned for Political Trolling
Registered for: 19 years

Post by ritchie valens »

it's not complete on christmas peace the piano intro is edited out.
where can it be found in dsd unedited?

Topic author
Peter66

Post by Peter66 »

Sorry, I meant the full version with piano intro. DSD or not.

Peter

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

According to a poster on this board a while back the budget cd "Blue Christmas" has been re-released with improved sound, Be sure to get the version with Elvis' picture on the cover. "Silent Night" has the piano intro there.

Also, the Time-Life Elvis series released some years ago had a "Christmas" disc. Silent Night is there with the piano intro. Perhaps you can find it on E-Bay. The sound quality is excellent. Happy hunting.

I hope this helps. I'm sure I've forgotten something. Perhaps the "experts" can help out.

Marko
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by Marko »

Silent Night can be found without the spoken message and with full intro on the original Elvis' Christmas album. I personally favor the Japanese 24 bit mastered paper sleeve release which sounds and looks superb. You can order it from Amazon.com.

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

Spellbinder
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
On Suspension Until Further Notice...

Post by Spellbinder »

It's complete on the 50s box set.

Topic author
Peter66

Post by Peter66 »

Thank you all, but one of those budget releases? I would pick up any budget release if it had a complete unedubbed version, but not enough money left for Japanese editions (waiting for FTD).

Peter

Kingtiger0321

Post by Kingtiger0321 »

It's Christmas Time! has it as well but the sound on that disc has a lot to be desired.

Random qoutes:

"I'll be dog gone Nick! Your house done blowed up, s'on fire too!" - Elvis

"You fed them DOG FOOD! How Dare!!!!" - "Paradise, Hawaiian style"

MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

"Silent Night" with piano intro intact can be found on the following CDs:

"Christmas: The Elvis Presley Collection" (Time-Life), 07863-69414-2 (2000), mastering engineer, Dennis Drake;

"I'll Be Home For Christmas" (The Gospel Series), 07863-68013-2 (2001);

"Elvis Christmas Album" (RCA Camden Classics), CAD1-2428 (1987);

"It's Christmas Time," 75517449312 (1985) (re-issue of original Camden Christmas Album);

"Elvis Presley: The Christmas Songs" (Green Hill Music), GHD-5262 (2001) (re-issue of original Camden Christmas Album);

"Elvis' Christmas Album" (Special Music Company), CAD1-2428 (1995) (re-issue of original Camden Christmas Album);

"Blue Christmas" 59800-2 (1992) (re-issued with new cover in 2006);

"Christmas Classics" 9801-2-R (1992);

"Elvis' Christmas Album" PCD1-5486;

"Elvis' Christmas Album" (Japanese Paper Sleeve), BVCM 37082;

"50s Box Set: The King Of Rock 'N' Roll" (Disc 3), 07863-66050-2.

My personal preference is the first one listed, the Time-Life Collection mastered by Dennis Drake.

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Peter66: If money is an issue I'd recomend "Blue Christmas" 59800-2
(1992) (re-issued with new cover in 2006). It has "Silent Night" with the piano intro, as well as very good sound for a budget release. Also, a nice cover photo of our guy.

Topic author
Peter66

Post by Peter66 »

Thanks Jerry, thanks Mystery Train, I knew this board was the right one for that question.

Camden, yes, this was my first Christmas album ever and so far my only (Christmas) album (LP) with the full version. This was the starting point for my question, as I just had listened to that old LP and realised, that I had no Christmas CD with that special version.

Btw, are there other Christmas CDs out with slightly different versions on it? To my knowledge it is only Memories Of Christmas and If Every Day Was Like Christmas, that have alternate versions.

Peter

MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

"Memories Of Christmas" and "If Everyday Could Be Like Christmas" and a few others have "Silent Night" with Elvis' spoken Christmas message where the piano intro used to be. "Christmas Peace" and "Elvis Christmas" have "Silent Night" with Elvis' spoken Christmas message and the piano intro removed with the finesse of someone removing it with a meat cleaver! Real sloppy work and a kick in the teeth to fans and collectors (especially since this "flaw" was pointed out with the release of "Christmas Peace" three or four years ago). "Elvis Christmas" (2006) was apparently a half-a--ed attempt on the part of BMG to again milk the fans with no remastering, no improvement in sound, and, as far as I can tell, nothing new but the cover, which, in my opinion, is inferior to most of the covers used on Elvis' budget Christmas CDs.

Mystery Train

P.S. By the way, "Merry Christmas" PCD1-5301 (which is very rare) has "Silent Night" with the piano intro in tact.

Post by Guest »

I just found a web where you can BUY single tracks online from a lot of cd`s and the Blue christmas cd is one of them. This cdon.com is only available in scandinavia, but maybe you can find a web like this in you`r area.
It`s a way to get just one track from a certain cd if that`s what you want.

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

MT: I don't have the 'new' "Christmas" cd. Do you? I'm just curious if you or someone could tell me/us if " A Snowy Christmas Night" has audio distortion in the right channel for a few seconds at approx. the 1:58 mark
in the backup singers? It's like that on my copy of "Christmas Peace".
But not on "White Christmas".

Marko

Post by Marko »

JerryNodak wrote:MT: I don't have the 'new' "Christmas" cd. Do you? I'm just curious if you or someone could tell me/us if " A Snowy Christmas Night" has audio distortion in the right channel for a few seconds at approx. the 1:58 mark
in the backup singers?
I'd like to know too!

Interestingly enough nobody here seems to be able to answer this.

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

elbo51
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by elbo51 »

I'll answer it then!

The new Elvis Christmas DSD mastered cd definitely has the distortion present at 1:58 in the right channel on the song On A Snowy Christmas Night.

Merry Christmas to everyone on the board.

Marko

Post by Marko »

elbo51 wrote:I'll answer it then!

The new Elvis Christmas DSD mastered cd definitely has the distortion present at 1:58 in the right channel on the song On A Snowy Christmas Night.

Merry Christmas to everyone on the board.
Thank you and Merry Christmas to you too!

It's obvious that the DSD master is faulty and BMG doesn't ever bother to correct this mistake when they are re-re-re-releasing this stuff. What a frikkin rip-off!

elbo51
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by elbo51 »

I agree with your sentiments. Its really a cryin' shame when you have mastering engineers like Vic Anesini putting their names on these things and you think you're getting the best quality sound transfers. These guys are supposed to listen to every second of these things they are mastering and not just put the tracks on auto-pilot. Its quite obvious they are using the same flawed DSD transfer of On A Snowy Christmas Night each time and not really listening to it carefully like say a Hoffman would do. I don't want to put Vic Anesini down but if you could total up the number of cds this man masters in a year, it really makes you wonder how he can put very much quality time onto each and every track of each release :roll:

Oh well... Happy Holidays ... we can all buy another new Elvis Christmas cd down the road with the hopes they get it right :smt111