Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis 6th jan 1957 Ed Sullivan - New Footage?

Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:20 pm

On Eurosport they are advertising a new 5 CD Elvis box set. Different footage of Elvis is used throughout which would to be expected. One thing that really caught my eye, that I have never seen before is; Elvis from the Ed Sullivan show with the red velvet shirt and gold waistcoat from Jan 57’ when he sings ‘Don’t Be Cruel, When My blue moon Turns to Gold Again and Too Much’- only on this footage he has a guitar and is singing Heartbreak Hotel. It is not dubbed; it is very clear and crisp. Is this new footage as I have never seen this before?

Paul.

Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:33 pm

I've seen that clip used in an advert,but it IS dubbed with the record version.(on the advert I've seen,anyway.)

Ed Sullivan

Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:46 am

This is definitely not dubbed, Elvis started the show wearing his guitar singing a melody of ‘Love Me Tender, Hound Dog and Don’t Be Cruel’, this is documented, but have never seen it. They are now showing it on Sky television advertising the new CD set.

Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:53 am

3rd Ed Sullivan Show - January 6, 1957 – CBS Studio, New York, New York:

Hound Dog
Love Me Tender
Heartbreak Hotel
Don’t Be Cruel
Too Much
When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again
Peace In The Valley

all of the above was issued by RCA on the "Golden Celebration" set.

Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:50 am

Don't they simply use the clip where Elvis sings "Heartbreak Hotel" but overdub it with the record version?

Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:47 am

NO!!!!!! Elvis is singing Heartbreak Hotel wearing the Gold waistcoat with his guitar, it is not overdubbed, or underdubbed, please stop doubting what i have seen. Call sky TV and ask them where they got it from. Ive been an Elvis collector for 35 years and I know when something is dubbed.

Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:11 pm

Jasper -

I have got the clip of Elvis doing Heartbreak Hotel on Ed Sullivan on 6th January, 1957.

The clip is only about 16 seconds long so it is repeated to give a playing time of around 34 seconds.

Seems to be the original audio, complete with Elvis finger snaps.

Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:31 pm

5 CD set ??
do you mean Close up ?? but it is only 4 CD or do you mean another box ??

Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:30 pm

Its another box, not close up.