Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:00 pm

Can't disagree with anything that's been said above. I've thought about this from all angles, I've even argued with myself.

Rebel and Doc are right of course, but the power of nostalgia is not to be underestimated. 1977, I passed my driving test, I lost my virginity (the two are related :wink: ) and Elvis died. I'll never be seventeen again, but I've got some real powerful anchors to that period in my life.

Elvis is the soundtrack to my life, and all his music has a context. The context may be all he recorded before 76/77 on one level, but the personal context sometimes is the back seat of my Dads Ford Cortina, in the autumn of 1977.

Nostalgia eh? It ain't what it used to be.

Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:15 pm

You're right Bobby. Actually I don't put the sun stuff on for a listen very often at all. :oops:

8)

Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:39 am

When you say "Elvis" I automatically picture 70s jumpsuit Elvis.

But when you say "Elvis Presley" I automatically picture 1950s cool cat Elvis.

Something strange about the decadal iconic transition from birth name to brand name.

Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:17 am

You know I first became an Elvis fan in 1970 when I was 11. I was at a store and the "On Stage" album was playing. I remembering sitting on a couch and listening to the whole album absolutely stunned to say the least. Until that time I really had no idea who Elvis was or what he was about. I proceded to buy that album along with "Elvis from Memphis" what a way to get annitiated as a fan with those two great albums. It wasn't until a few months later after getting some magazines and books about EP that I learned about his meteoric rise to stardom in the fifties. I find every part of Elvis's life fascinating from his birth until his death. Obviously younger fans can relate more to the 76-77 era than lets say 69-72, that's a given. It also goes to show that even though Elvis wasn't the performer he once was in 77, he still had the power, charisma and voice to attract a new generation of fans.