Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

I'll Hold You In My Heart

Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:12 pm

Greetings everyone -
Last week I was listening to the 69 Memphis tunes (the masters not the outtakes) and I noticed that on I'll Hold You In My Heart the sound quality of Elvis' vocal track and the drums is markedly different. The vocal track sounds a little distant, and has a lot of reverb on it, but the drums are way up front and dry. Elvis played piano on this track, so I'm wondering if they initially recorded this with just Elvis & piano, then overdubbed the band after the fact. This would make sense as Elvis' piano playing was likely a little off time here & there. The drums would help to cover this and "lock-in" the tempo for the rest of the band. Any comments?

Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:49 pm

Pete -

Yes, it always sounded as if Elvis just reeled this one off between 'proper' tracks.

It was nailed in one take.

It might well have started out with just Elvis & the piano.

A knockout performance nonetheless.

Also enjoy Felton's new backing on 'Too Much Monkey Business'.

Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:55 pm

Yeah Colin, it's terrific. He sounds as if he was completely carried outside of himself! IHYIMH is kinda like Elvis' When A Man Loves A Woman (and wouldn't it have been great if he had done THAT song at these sessions).

Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:00 am

It's not a solo demo overdub, but it was a spontaneous event. The musicians do recall that they had no idea how or when Elvis was going to end the song, and at several points you can hear Gene Chrisman about to close it out on drums, only to have Elvis begin another verse. In many ways, this performance captures the mesmerizing effect of the entire session.