Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

"Forget Me Never" Take1 - BMG vs Boot

Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:25 am

FORGET ME NEVER

1:36 on CD: Original Film Music, vol. 7

1:33 on CD: Close Up (Disc 2: Unreleased Movie Gems)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Close Up version, which is labeled as take 1, does not include the engineer intro that the other cd has, hence the shorter time length on Close Up. On Original Film Music, vol. 7, the engineer says: "Forget Me Never, take one, solo." And there is one guitar (Elvis himself?) played on take 1.

But what about the 2nd guitarist on the binaural Close Up version of this same "take 1" :?: I suspect the Forget Me Never Take 1 BMG recently released is the first attempt to add an overdubbed guitar with the playback of take 1 solo. Hence still calling it "take one" but is it really?

The binaurual makes it sound rich and crisp and full but technically, it's not take 1.

Am I wrong? Comments?

Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:38 am

hey gg
heres whats on the book in close up.

the only anomalous song was" islipped, i stumbled, i fell."
elvis played the acoustic guitar on the first version of "lonely man."
and "forget me never." sinaling chord changes with little bass drum.

curtis simpkins

Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:25 am

By the way, I have a copy of Original Film Music vol.9.... is that one really an "official" volume of that awesome serie? The mixing and the artwork is really different compared to the previous 8 volumes...

Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:15 pm

Graceland Gardener -

This is what Steve [Sebastian] Sholes says:

It may appear that there was a left channel guitar overdub on Forget Me Never. This can be heard on the CDs 'Elvis For Everyone' and 'Elvis Meets Presley', but not on 'Double Features'. This responding guitar is however present on the releases that were mastered from the mono session tape. So it probably was removed for the 'Double Features' release rather than overdubbed in the first place

Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:43 am

Hi. I'm not familiar with the whole set I don't know about vol. 9.

So there are two possible answers(?)

1) The 2nd guitar was always there but not heard unless the tape is run thru a binaurual player. So the vol. 7 CD version is a playback of only one channel ?

2) It also seems possible that the Close Up version is an recording of a 2nd guitar played over the pre-recorded take 1 (therefore Overdub Take 1) and to not be confusing in description, Ernst simply calls it "take 1" despite the fact is doesn't sound the same as the other "take one."

still confusing.

All I know is that both versions have been released as take 1 (but the boot version actually has the engineer announcing it "take one, solo" and there's only 1 gtr.) Based on comparison by sound, the Close Up version seems to be misindentified.