quick question about TTWII

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author

quick question about TTWII

Post by Guest »

Did the people filming that's the way it is in 1970 film elvis singing 'something' ? I havent seen a video of him singing it from 1970.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

I don't believe so.

Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Yes, theres footage of him messing around with it in the rehearsals.

Last edited by Eddie on Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

I got you melancholy baby, built like a melon face like a collie.

Topic author

Post by Guest »

is there any in concert though?

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

I stand corrected, thanks Eddie!

Eddie

Post by Eddie »

No problem Joe, you can see though why it hit the cutting room floor, I cant think of a single Beatles number Elvis added anything to, I[almost] wish he'd never touched any of them.

Topic author

Post by Guest »

i always thought 'something' from one night in vegas (or the 70s master box i cant remember which) was quite good

Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Yes but, "quite good" does'nt quite cut it though, we are talking about a man who made anyones songs his own. The Beatles tracks were just not suited to him and as his biggest rivals I'd have prefered him either blowing them out the water or just not doing them at all. That said, right now Id take him singing Shakin Stevens greatest hits just for something new. :lol:

Topic author

Post by Guest »

lol Elvis usually made songs his own but in this case i suppose he didnt. Another case of him not making a song his own would be the 1971 studio recording of My Way...

Eddie

Post by Eddie »

True, but many failed in that song, come 1977 though sadly I'd say he more than made up for that second placing. That performance surely one of the few face saving from complete disaster, and once again, made it his own.

rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

Eddie wrote:No problem Joe, you can see though why it hit the cutting room floor, I cant think of a single Beatles number Elvis added anything to, I[almost] wish he'd never touched any of them.
It’s interesting to hear Elvis’ takes on The Beatles’ songs, but I would agree that when you consider Elvis’ talent for the re-interpretation of other artist’s material none of his Beatles covers could be considered resounding successes.

Having said that I think the August 1970 version of “Something” is the pick of the bunch, and personally I find this recording superior to the more commonly known “Aloha” version from 1973.

It’s a shame that the only Beatles tune that was given any real studio time was the unfinished and disappointing “Hey Jude”. Had Elvis had more time to work on the likes of “Yesterday” (the live version sounds a bit rushed to me) and “Something”, I’m sure he could have improved on the live versions we have.

“Get Back” would also have been a good choice, had it been rehearsed and performed in its entirety rather than tagged on to the end of “Little Sister”.