Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis with Strings

Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:19 pm

Anyone could tell which Elvis recording first featured the use of strings?

I can't think of anything for the 50s, and the 60s are a blank for me.

Thanks

Regards

Dan

Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:25 pm

"Wonderful World", March 68 ?

Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:26 pm

Almost in love & Wonderful world recorded March 1968 (from "Live a little, love a little") were about the first released songs with strings although there have been movie songs that had strings added on the movie soundtrack (but not on the record release).

Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:30 pm

Almost in love

Paul (UK)

Re: Elvis with Strings

Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:31 pm

dan wrote:Anyone could tell which Elvis recording first featured the use of strings? I can't think of anything for the 50s, and the 60s are a blank for me.

"Love Me Tender (end title version)" from October 1956 -- and used on the film soundtrack -- incorporates strings, but it was not released on record until 1986. Aside from other similar-type overdubbing, Elvis' first full-on session with an orchestra was in March 1968 under producer Billy Strange for the "Live A Little, Love A Little" soundtrack. Somewhat overblown horns and strings arrangements -- pun intended -- can be heard on "Wonderful World,"Edge Of Reality" and "Almost In Love."

A charming, Ink Spots-inspired demo from 1966, sung over an LP playing a heavily orchestrated instrumental version of "It's A Sin To Tell A Lie," is found on FTD's In A Private Moment.

Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:12 pm

dan -

The very first Elvis song heard by the public on a record with strings was "All That I Am" in 1966.

These were overdubbed after Elvis' recording session.

I was something of a rocker in those days and hated strings being added to records.

My wife found my utter disbelief extremely amusing when we first heard it on the radio !

Over the years, I have got used to them, but it is still good to hear him socking out a tune with the old guitar, bass, drum [perhaps piano] backing, without a string in earshot !

Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:36 pm

Isn't a guitar a string instrument?

Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:39 pm

T.Presley -

Don't mess with me, Sunshine !

Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:54 pm

ColinB wrote:T.Presley -

Don't mess with me, Sunshine !

:lol:

Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:54 am

thanks for the info.

I DID mean strings as in "sirupy violins"

Regards

DAN

Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:35 pm

I know which one that in my opinion is the most tasteful use of strings on an Elvis-recording; well two, actually.

1. The overdubbed solo-violin arrangement on Lovesong Of The Year on the second verse gives me chills every time I hear it! As does Per Erik Hallins (I think) pianowork on that song, he is such a magnificent pianist and, from what I've heard, far outplays Glen D in most regards.

2. The awesome cello in the intro of In The Ghetto.

Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:36 pm

FVH wrote:

The overdubbed solo-violin arrangement on Lovesong Of The Year on the second verse gives me chills every time I hear it!

Pity it was wasted on such a crap song then.

Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:40 pm

Well, in the absence of any contradictions, can I take it that you all accept that 'All That I Am' in 1966 was the first Elvis record with strings ?

If you don't agree, please quote an earlier record.

Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:43 am

According to E. Jørgensens "A Life In Music" fiddle was used during the Kissin' Cousins sessions in sept/oct. 1963, and the fiddlers name was Cecil Brower.

Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:57 pm

woodleyjohn -

Thanks !

FVH -

A country-style 'fiddle' does not count - Dan was referring to 'syrupy strings' and I think we all know what he means.