Don't think twice it's alright?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author

Don't think twice it's alright?

Post by Guest »

Just wondering, is there any other version that elvis did of this song other than the 1971 jam? I think i remember someone saying something about a recording from the sixties? any help? :?

ChrisM

Re: Don't think twice it's alright?

Post by ChrisM »

hi heel sneakers wrote:Just wondering, is there any other version that elvis did of this song other than the 1971 jam? I think i remember someone saying something about a recording from the sixties? any help? :?
No. It is likely that Elvis didn't become familiar with the song until he heard it on 'Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits Vol 2' which was released in 1971.

Perhaps you are thinking of 'Blowin' In The Wind' which exists as an Elvis home recording from the 60's?

Chris

Topic author

Post by Guest »

oh yeah blowin in the wind on the platinum box, thanks.

Topic author

Re: Don't think twice it's alright?

Post by Guest »

ChrisM wrote: No. It is likely that Elvis didn't become familiar with the song until he heard it on 'Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits Vol 2' which was released in 1971.
Actually, "Greatest Hits Vol 2" was released in November of 1971 while Elvis recorded the song on May 16. Maybe he owned the "Freewheelin'" album?

philobeddo

Post by philobeddo »

No. It is likely that Elvis didn't become familiar with the song until he heard it on 'Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits Vol 2' which was released in 1971.
Remember Johnny Cash he recorded it 1964, released on the "Orange Blossom Special" album. It's pretty close to Elvis' version.

"Right turn Clyde"

Scott Haigh 781990EP

Post by Scott Haigh 781990EP »

Though i do like Elvis's version, Bob's original is a real folk classic and cannot be beaten

I would've liked if he done this as an opening number in a show. I quite like the feel of Elvis's version

I'm like a stranger, like a stranger in my own hometown
My so called friends stopped being friendly, oh but you can't keep a good man down

http://www.myspace.com/musicprisoner

likethebike

Post by likethebike »

Why do you say that Chris M? (About GH volume 2) Elvis was quite the Peter, Paul and Mary fan and they had a nice size hit with this song in the 1960s.

I think Elvis' version is at least an equal to Dylan's recording; although he doesn't sing all the verses, the recording has a freewheeling feel improvised feel with a variety of textures that makes it very exciting. I also like the Four Seasons off the wall remake.

This song is actually a reworking of an old folk song.

ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

likethebike wrote:Why do you say that Chris M? (About GH volume 2)
I would say that I was wrong.

Chris

Hav-A-Tampa

Post by Hav-A-Tampa »

I wonder if that was one of the songs Elvis was originally planning to record at the aborted March ´71 session... which had a strong "folk" flavor. Anyway, I am a big Dylan fan and I love Elvis's version... the 70's box set version is great (the short one is too short and the long one is too long!) even though it's a shame he didn't have access to all the lyrics.

Topic author
JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

As I recall this song wasn't a planned recording, but rather one of those "jams" Felton just happened to catch on tape. Hence no one was worrying about the lyrics.

Hav-A-Tampa

Post by Hav-A-Tampa »

Yes, I know it was a jam that was taped in May, I was just thinking maybe that was one of the songs he had on his list back in March. But then again, I guess they would have had the lyrics in May if that was the case. Wouldn't it have been wonderful, though, with an "Elvis Sings Dylan" album in '71... Don't know if Elvis had heard Dylan's more recent albums like "New Morning" or "Nashville Skyline", but there were a number of songs (apart from the obvious ones "Twice" and "I Shall Be Released") Elvis could have done brilliant versions of, those later records also had a "softer", country-influenced style that Elvis probably would have liked better than the mid 60's-Dylan.

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:Yes, I know it was a jam that was taped in May, I was just thinking maybe that was one of the songs he had on his list back in March. But then again, I guess they would have had the lyrics in May if that was the case. Wouldn't it have been wonderful, though, with an "Elvis Sings Dylan" album in '71... Don't know if Elvis had heard Dylan's more recent albums like "New Morning" or "Nashville Skyline", but there were a number of songs (apart from the obvious ones "Twice" and "I Shall Be Released") Elvis could have done brilliant versions of, those later records also had a "softer", country-influenced style that Elvis probably would have liked better than the mid 60's-Dylan.
An Elvis Sings Dylan album would have been a hypercritical exercise considering that the Presley machine refused to let Pat Boone name an album Pat Boone Sings Elvis.

The Boone album was released as Pat Boone Sings Guess Who. A pathetic album by any measure :!:

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

likethebike

Post by likethebike »

I don't think that was the Presley organization's idea particularly back in those days before the later Presley organization defined image rights. Many, many artists have recorded album tributes to Elvis. Perhaps Mr. Boone's title was an attempt at being clever.

bajo

Post by bajo »

I think that most of those jams actually shows how Elvis never ended searching out songs and arrangements. Just like he did back then at SUN, he loved jamming in the studio.
Of the jams that ended up as "recordings" I must admit that I like I'll Hold You In My Arms, Merry Christmas Baby, Got My Mojo Working, Don't Think Twice, the snippets of I Shall Be Released and Lady Madonna and the Tiger Man jam from '75 ao.

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Don't Think Twice can probably be at its best at 4 minutes tops! Taking the best of every single second...But after that it suffers because it is not a Blues type song ...and the few lyrics Elvis knew.

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man

Post by Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man »

I love the way they edited the intro to sound genuine on OUR MEMORIES. But with that intro, the song sounds best running about 3:30 and then fading out. Very enjoyable though.

I like the idea of using it as a link track as Shane Brown said, aa la I Was Born About 10,000 Years Ago. How about trying it as a link track to the following ELVIS COUNTRY VOL 2 compilation???

It Aint No Big Thing
Early Morning Rain
Hundred Years From Now
The First Time Ever I Saw Your face
A Thing Called Love
Where Do I Go From Here
If I Were You
(That's What You Get)For Lovin' Me
It's A Matter of Time
Help Me Make It Through The Night

Topic author
Keith F

Post by Keith F »

Wouldn't it be great to hear "Take 2" as noted in 'Sessions 3'?
:wink:

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man

Post by Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man »

You winked Keith!!! YOU'VE GOT IT HAVEN'T YOU!!! :o

Topic author
Keith F

Post by Keith F »

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:You winked Keith!!! YOU'VE GOT IT HAVEN'T YOU!!! :o
If only the bastards (Bootleggers) hadn't been ripping off the audio I was putting up, you may have eventually heard it! :wink:

rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

In some respects the jams highlight the fact that Elvis wasn’t always satisfied with the new material that his publishing companies provided.

The jam’s Felton got down on tape show Elvis really getting lost in the music again, and do capture the same feel as his earliest recordings when he would experiment and try songs in different styles.

It’s a real shame that the folk idea wasn’t fully realised. We know that Elvis had shown a keen interest in the genre since the mid sixties at least, and I’m sure he could have given some interesting insights into why he was attracted to certain songs if quizzed at a press conference.

The album could have also built on the critical acclaim given to “Elvis Country” and would certainly have been in keeping with the musical trends of the time.