Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

MOno and Stereo for FTD's? just a thought...

Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:13 pm

hey EP fans, yesterday I was goin' thru sum of my Vinyl and came across 3 LP's from Elvis in the 60's. I also found that I had them BOTH in Monaural AND STEREO versions. so...I recorded them both (mono/stereo) on to tape and played them thru my headphones and I just couldn't beieve the difference! It's been a long time since i've done comparing like this and my thought here was: what if ernst could release MONO and STEREO versions of Elvis' work from '60-'68? that would really be a kool thing to have them in both formats. I also noticed that the Beach Boys "PET SOUNDS" cd was released the same way! anyway, just a thought...any comments?

Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:19 pm

I'm not that fond of Mono. When we have to put up with Mono then that's OK but if there a stereo alternative...Yes please.

:D

Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:20 pm

I'm with Sam !

If something is out in stereo - who wants a mono version ?

Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:24 pm

this IS NOT the point i'm trying to make! if you heard the MONO versions of the same songs in STEREO you can tell a big diffference! the songs, for instance, on "ROUSTABOUT" sound full and punchy, and the STEREO versions just sounded, well...not so full and punchy! LOL this is just for fun guys so don't start takin' it to heart!

Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:29 pm

minkahed -

If you are saying that the mono mixes were better, well they should improve the mixes of the stereo versions so they are as good !

Not revert to mono for a better sound.

Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:01 pm

I agree with sam and woodleyjohn

what a dumb idea

if you want mono instead of stereo turn on your amp to mono !

and now what next ? direct transfert from vinyl with cracks and noises
for future releases
or adding hiss to sound like in the good old days ?

NO NO AND NO !!!!

Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:33 pm

I have seen bootlegs with jimi hendrix in mono but on the original release they are in stereo, on the CD anyway

Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:13 am

Hi Minkahead,

I'm with you. It is not a "dumb" idea as someone mentioned. There are a lot of bands that have released cds this way...the mono and stereo version on the same cd. I would like them.
I have recorded all the old mono albums I have onto cd. For those who are into alternate mixes, mono IS an alternate mix. I guess you could say the same thing for "stereo reprocessed".

jeff R

Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:11 am

does anyone here know how to make mono of a stereorecording ?? (no button on your amplier because i don't have such a button) maybe in some audioprogram to your computer ??

Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:07 am

man oh man, why don't people READ posts properly? LOL I didn't say I wanted Mono mixes, I just said it would be kool if we could get both from FTD, if possible! like i stated earlier, I pulled out my Elvis LP's and noticed I had both, MONO and STEREO versions, so i played and recorded them onto a tape, just to compare, just for fun! the MONO mixes sounded really good too me, with a lil punch, if u will...compared to the more transparent STEREO. this DOES NOT mean I like MONO better!!! get it folks? now I guess I know y Elvis preferred MONO over STEREO mixes? if u guys ever come across both versions of an Elvis LP, give 'em both a listen and then decide. as I said earlier, this idea was based on me seeing the Beach Boys "Pet Sounds" cd in both formats, simple as that! I also tried this with my 2 copies of "Meet the Beatles", MONO and STEREO and the difference was tremendous, IMO.

Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:41 am

I don't understand. You say it would be cool if we could get them, but you don't want them???

:?

Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:45 am

ahh Mink, go back listening to your mono Springsteen records and quit trying to confuse everybody. lol

Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:48 am

Hey guys
to let you know elvis loved the mono over the stereo versions
he even had the 68 comback show in mono, cause he loved it

and in the 70s he just wanted the 45s in mono only no stereo.

curtis simpkins

Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:56 am

For fear of being called an intellectual midget and other asundry names, i hate to pose this observation. but i must anyway. it really boggles my mind why anyone would prefer listening to mono instead of stereo. and if anyone thinks u dont get any punch from the stereo recordings we get today, i invite all over to my house and ill crank my amp and let u feel the punch u get. i think it would give u all the punch u could handle. then id have to repaint and fix the crack in the walls.

Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:29 am

whoo Kylan, i'm sure were all impressed with your superb stereo equipment, but i betcha mine's better? LOL
as predicted, I expected a dimwitted response from u first, but sum others beat u 2 it!!! guess u made the honor roll for the spokesperson of the "peanut gallery" LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: nevermind fixing the cracks in your walls, how 'bout your head first? LOL

Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:11 am

As usual, I take the beating for all the others who echo my thoughts but hey thats cool, personalize it with me and insult rather than addressing why someone would like mono over stereo? im all ears Mr Wilson. :wink:

Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:32 am

see Kylan, that's the prob with u man, your 2 serious! LOL you can plainly see that i put (LOL) after my "insult", u knew I wuz J/k, but anyway, you just can't understand, can u? for the life of me, where in the HELL did i say I like MONO over STEREO? go back and check it and READ... I said "this DOES NOT mean I like MONO better!!! get it folks?"

now, do u comprehend? really? r u sure? i'll say it again,"I don't like MONO over STEREOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO", I did say "it would be kool if we had both formats, but god forbid... bla bla bla LOL by the way, how do u compare "headphones to stereo equipment"? I did say i listened to these LP's thru my headphones, didn't I? r u sure? check again...atta boy...good doggie! ignorance on your part?

it's kinda disappointing cuz i thought this would have been a good fun thread, but I guess it's "above and beyond" for (some) people here at the peanut gallery! ...they can have there audience recordings and such, but I point out what i think is a legit thought and i get primitive responses. oh well...ciao ciao

Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:05 am

Me serious?? oh brother! hardly! lol I was being funny, but i guess u missed it. lol oh well, enjoy your mono! lol

Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:22 pm

Hey, if we are going to have 'mono' versions of 'stereo' stuff, why not 'reprocessed stereo' as well !

Now don't get me wrong !

I don't like 'reprocessed stereo' - I just thought it would be kool to have the choice !

Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:35 pm

Mink,

Besides "Roustabout," what were the other vinyl's you sampled? I have purposely not played any of my vinyl in years, but I am getting the bug to do it.

Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:04 pm

When I saw this thread, I thought "this is a good one". Obviously with all the negative responses, most members did not.
I still like the idea.
Some people tried to be funny with the different track separation and so forth.
The thing is, these were the ways RCA released them....mono AND stereo. Again, they are different mixes and do, indeed sound different. The same with the "stereo reprocessed" versions.
If you are a collector of ALL versions including alternate mixes, alternate takes, undubbed and so forth, you should really have the mono mixes as well. I've been trying for years to get all the mono mixes. The same goes for the stereo reprocessed tracks (even though I hate them). But I want it all so I will even want those.
Enough with the criticism. This is not such a bad idea. Many, many artists have or are doing this. I have all of the Beatles albums in mono and stereo and they are a treat either way AND they do sound very different.

jeff R

Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:20 pm

[b]hey KHoots, the LP's that I have in BOTH formats are:
1) ROUSTABOUT LSP/LPM 2999
2) SPINOUT LSP/LPM 3702
3) POT LUCK LSP/LPM 2523

and at the bottom of the rack I also found I have the "ELVIS FOR EVERYONE" LP LSP/LPM , "GIRL HAPPY" LSP/LPM 3338
and "ELVIS' GOLDEN RECORDS, vol.3" LSP/LPM 2765! all of my original albums are in mint shape and the sound comin' out of these LP's is amazing, but i guess this info is above and beyond for the active participants from the peanut gallery! jelly with your peanuts anyone? LOL oh well, guess i'll go throw away all my stereo Elvis releases!

colin, wazzup with the confusion? by the way, I do have cd's in my collection with reprocessed stereo! should I throw them out cuz there not worthy of owning? if I recall, my japanese "ELVIS' GOLDEN RECORDS" '84 release has that reprocessed stereo and it's worth sumthin' over $500 in price guides...guess it's too hot to handle, too cold too hold for u peanut lovers...LOL

thanks too KHoots and Jeff for the inquiries. I always like to listen to different mixes and takes on E's music and this one is just sumthin' i came over when I noticed that god forsaken "pet sounds" cd! I don't know y people get involved in a discussion when they have NO clue what they r talkin' about...LOL I don't take it seriously though, it just shows how repressed sum people can actually be when it comes to having an open mind!