Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

NIGHT RIDER ON CLOSE UP PREVIOUSLY RELEASED!!!!!!

Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:29 pm

Hi all,

Yesterday I gave cd3 of the latest box set a spin. When I got to track 12 I thought "Hello, something seems familiar." And something was indeed very familiar!

About 10 years ago Capital Gold (a radio station in London) used to have an "Elvis Hour" once a week with a bloke named Stuart Coleman (where is he now?). Anyway, my dad used to record it and I've still got the tapes.

On one of them is the take of "Night Rider" that appears "previously unreleased" on Close Up. I can tell this because of the studio banter prior to the take. So, unless it's just the pre-take chatter that's been previously released, RCA haven't done their homework...again! (Remember Anything That's Part Of You from TTAF that had already appeared on Elvis in Nashville? I think)

Also, there are not "89 previously unreleased songs by the King of Rock 'N' Roll" as stated on the back of Close Up, rather there are 85 (or 86 if the radio station played a track from a bootleg by mistake). Since when have Also Sprach Zarathustra and the Closing Vamp been songs by Elvis? What's more, how on earth are the introductions of the band even a song?

Despite this, I can't recommend Close Up enough to any of you who haven't got it yet...Apart from my two grumbles it is fantastic!!!

Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:04 pm

Andrew -

"Night Rider" Take 1 - from 15/16th October, 1961, has not been available on an official release.

The false start [before Take 1] & the complete Take 2 were on Collector's Gold in 1990.

Probably that's why the studio banter sounds familiar [The Gordanires are out !].

Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:11 pm

The “Close Up” set includes the complete take 1 of “Night Rider” from the October 16, 1961, Nashville session. A false start preceded this first take, and this was issued on the “Collectors Gold” set in 1991, along with the complete alternate take 2. The dialogue concerning the Jordanaires came after the false start on take 1, and this is therefore included in its proper context on both releases. However, the complete take 1 featured on “Close Up” is indeed previously unreleased as far as official releases are concerned.

Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:14 pm

Isn't Stuart Colman a Nashville producer now? I think i've read some of his liner notes on RnR compliation CDs.

Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:35 pm

Thanks for clearing that one up!

Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:08 pm

While we are discussing 'Night Rider', Colin Escott gets it a bit wrong in his liner notes.

He says that Elvis' reference to the group as 'The Gordonaires' is 'presumably a pun upon group member Gordon Stoker'.

It isn't.

Elvis is sending up the engineer who asks: 'Do The Gordonaires sing on this ?'

Elvis replies: 'The Gordonaires are out !'

Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:09 pm

There are a few errors in the sleeve notes. Some of the songs that weren’t introduced into Elvis’ stage act until the January/February 1970 season are cited as being performed since 1969, and there is also a reference to the single master of “Trilogy” being taped by RCA at the Hampton concert on April 9, 1972, which is of course incorrect.