Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

1955 Studio Images of Elvis

Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:35 am

Perhaps the earliest formal studio photos of Elvis, taken by William Speer, are now on display until August 31st at the International Photography Hall of Fame and Museum:

http://www.iphf.org/elvis.html

Elvis was brought to the Speer's Memphis studio in early 1955 by manager Bob Neal to get some quality portraits taken. Eleven have survived, and there's another of his mom and dad, Gladys and Vernon, who accompanied their son.

You might recognize these shots, a few have been published through the years:

The IPHF can be found in the west wing of the Kirkpatrick Center in Oklahoma City, OK.

God bless!

Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:04 am

Hey doc
is there any more elvis sun studio photos of Elvis from 1954-55
no dec 56 just the sun days shots.

way i ask is i seen some at the sun studio photos i have never seen
before, and i like to know if theres anymore of them.

curtis simpkins

Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:07 pm

simpkins,
I sure hope you got your money back from Mavis Beacons.

Tom

Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:04 pm

Thanks for the link DJC. These publicity shots are quite unique in my opinion, as they appear somewhat different from the publicity photographs that were taken for RCA between 1956 – 1968. I was familiar with the two images posted on the site, but I’m not sure whether I’ve seen all eleven of them. Maybe there will be further previews available on Ebay when the Internet auction gets underway.

Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:03 pm

rebel -

If you see other Speer image scans, let us know!

Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:20 pm

Has anybody seen the Speers Calendar that as issued around 11 years ago? my wife won a signed copy at the time.

I thought all these shots were well known.

Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:25 pm

Sun Studios at one time sold the calendars as well as duplicates of the photos.

Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:40 am

I have a few photos that I have collected from all over the web. It's not all of them, but at least a few. I think the book "Elvis' World" by Jane something, features all of them, if someone feel like scanning them ;-)

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Man I love his hair in these photos. It just makes you want to run your fingers through it.... Ahh... I can't start thinking like this again, have to get rid of these thoughts *lol*

Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:12 am

Thank you for posting these.

I now recall that BMG used the one with the jacket for the cover of their Sunrise collection in 1999. There are also pictures from Audubon Drive in the summer and fall of 1956 where you can see the Speer portrait of Gladys and Vernon on a living room table. Speer's style is distinctive.

Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:09 am

The book Elvis World by Jane & Michael Stern only has four of these Elvis portraits, plus the portrait of Vernon and Gladys.

Already in 1982 Dave Marsh´s book Elvis had seven of these portraits in wonderful full page photographs.

Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:47 pm

The fool wrote:The book Elvis World by Jane & Michael Stern only has four of these Elvis portraits, plus the portrait of Vernon and Gladys.

Already in 1982 Dave Marsh´s book Elvis had seven of these portraits in wonderful full page photographs.

Thanks for the additional information. While the Stern book is a must to avoid -- tacky -- Dave Marsh's "Elvis" has beautiful art design by the late Bea Feitler to complement his thoughtful text, and is a worthy purchase. It's been years since I looked at it, though. It was reprinted in paperback by Thunder's Mouth in mid-1997.