Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

sound experts..what do you think of the new team on close up

Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:42 pm

you see the show (texas 72) was mixed early 2002 by ferrante for the aborted "ontour" cd project..

the rest is by a new team of the SONY new york studios...

Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:20 pm

I am not a particular sound expert but i can tell my personal point of view on this.

I think the new team made a fantastic Job! I mean all the sound problems of some of the stuff from fifties or sixties is solved - maintaining the original sound.

I didn't like the mixing and sound choices of the 72 live show and actually I enjoed more the original mixing: stronger rythm (if you compare the band introduction on 'on tour' and on the CD you see how more up front are the drums and bass originally) and clearer voice (you can compare proud mary on 'on tour' video and on this CD to see what I mean).

But of course it is a matter of choices, tastes and (last but not least) quality of tape.

It could be that the '72 tape had a lot of hiss problems on bass, drums and voice so that it had to be pushed down into the mix. The piano is quite well balanced there.

So it is hard to compare such different type of work (live and studio remixes). But I loved the other 3 CDs in terms of sound choices and I was disppointed with the less sharp and more confuesd sound of the live show - I rather listen the on tour mix of that same show.

Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:23 am

:D I think they have done s superb job!- I mean the 50's stuff NEVER sounded so good! Tose versions of 'Treat me nice' (ooh baby!~) are 'incredable!' fantastic job! :lol:

Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:39 am

I would personaly have to give this box-set a 10 out 0f 10....for both the great content,and the sound quality...
To me,the sound was well balanced, and a lot of those songs never sounded so good..
I'd have to say the two versions of "Treat me Nice" was the highlight for me..

Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:42 pm

As I already said [on another thread], the 50's tracks sound so fresh, they could have been recorded in 2003 !

Well done Ernst/Roger/BMG/whoever !

Re: sound experts..what do you think of the new team on clos

Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:36 am

frus wrote:you see the show (texas 72) was mixed early 2002 by ferrante for the aborted "ontour" cd project..

the rest is by a new team of the SONY new york studios...

Whoa.....wait a minute.

The aborted "On Tour" project was going to have this Texas '72 concert?!?

What about the Hampton Roads show? I would be almost.....shocked......if they released the San Antonio show instead of Hampton Roads for a special edition release of "On Tour".

Ivan - can you clarify?

Rich

Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:56 pm

I thought the team did some fantastic audio restoration on the tapes.

I've never heard "Steppin' Out Of Line" sounding as good - they have virtually eliminated the distortion problems.

I was blown away by the versions of "Treat Me Nice". Hard to believe those tapes are nearly 50 years old.

Well done guys!