Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

New songs since 1977

Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:35 am

With the speculation at the moment being on "the new found song" and what it is. Since Elvis died it's quite astonishing how long the list of new songs released by RCA/ BMG is, by new songs I mean only songs that had'nt been heard officially up until the date of release. here's a quick list:

And I haven't included all the home recorded songs just Studio/ Live / Reheasals/ jams and I have put the release date after the song

My Way live 1977
America 1977
Unchained melody 1978
Softly as I leave you 1978
Danny 1978
Britiches 1978
Beyound the reef (overdubb) 1980
Plantation rock 1983
the lady loves me 1983
maybelline 1984
Tweedle dee 1984
Your the boss 1991
My happiness 1990
Fool, fool, fool 1992
Dominic 1994
This time/ I can't stop loving you 1993
Witchcraft 1993 Presley's half of Sinatra duett
You better run 1994
Turn your eyes upon Jesus/
Nearer my god to thee 1994
A Hundred years from now 1995
It's different now 1995
The Twelth of never 1995
All'en el ranch grande 1995
Froggy went a courtin 1995
Lady Madonna 1995
I Did'n make it playing Guitar 1996
The lords prayer 1996
I'll never stand in your way 1997
It would'nt be the same without you 1999
Hearts of stone !999
Cotton fields 2001
Peter Gunn 2001
Oh Happy day 2001
Your the reason i'm living 2001
When the snow is on the Roses 2001

I may have some of the dates wrong but i'm sure someone will correct me.

And here's a quick list of unreleased songs from 1978 onwards that Elvis either recorded before before the master or re-recorded after the the master vesion was released for other reasons. I have not included songs that were recorded at the same sessions but reworked the same day or day so later such as "loving you - fast tempo"

Ku-U-I-P-O 1978
No more 1978
Hawaiian wedding song 1978
Early morning rain 1978
It hurts me 1978
Let yourself go 1978
I'll be home on christmas day 1982
When it rains it really pours 1983
One night of sin 1983
Swing down sweet chariot 1983
I beg of you 1989
Memphis Tennessee 1991
Ask me 1991
Thats when your heartaches begin 1992
Shake rattle & roll 1992
Suppose 1993
You don't know me 1994
My way - studio 1995
For the good times 1995
Tiger man 1995
Until it's time for you to go 1996

These are only officially released songs I have not included any unoffically released songs such as "Jambalaya" if anyone else can add I would welcome it

Garry

Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:50 am

And, perhaps the best of them all, "Ghost riders in the sky", released on the FTD "The way it was". 2001, was it?

Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:45 am

Interesting list. :)

Of course live material isn't as rare as studio (several 1,000s of people at any given event heard what E sang live) but I personally was glad to finally hear a live "Moody Blue" and live "Danny Boy" and live "Return To Sender"

Studio recordings:
Since he died, I have been impressed with the subsequent release of "My Happiness'/"That's When Your Heartaches Begin" and "One Night Of Sin" and "You're The Boss" and the slow version of "Viva Las Vegas"

and "Without You" which isn't E singing but the original anonymous recording played for a few seconds on an episode of CBS' 48 Hours in 1992.

Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:57 am

Hey Mr Gardner ....a slow "Viva las vegas" ? do you mean the SSS version with the prominent Piano ?

Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:07 am

jbgude wrote:Hey Mr Gardner ....a slow "Viva las vegas" ? do you mean the SSS version with the prominent Piano ?

yup. :D Viva Waltz Vegas

Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:21 pm

Hi Garry,

Could you please tell me what what's the reason you list 'Until It's Time For You To Go' from 1996 in your list?

What was new about this track?
thanks, Edwin

Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:41 pm

Hi Edwin

Re: Until it time for you to go

I gave it a listing because it was a remake of the original version Elvis recorded on 17th may 1971. This remake was recorded on 8th June 1971
some three weeks later at a different session and not released until 1996 on "Essential Elvis vol 4- A Hundred years from now".

As well he also remade "I'll be home on Christmas day" on 10th June 1971 at these same sessions which he had orginally recorded on 15th May 1971, the remake eventually received a release in 1982 on the USA Christmas album "Memories of Christmas".

Thanks R.R.Police
I completely missed "Ghost riders in the sky".
Cheers

Garry

Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:44 pm

Nice list. I don’t see how the live 1977 version of “My Way” qualifies as a new song as RCA had already released a live version on the “Aloha From Hawaii” album back in 1973.
“Unchained Melody” was also included on the 1977 album “Moody Blue”, so whilst the 1978 single version is indeed an alternate recording, I don’t think that one qualifies either.

Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:51 pm

"Off course" what a Knucklehead I am for forgetting that both songs appeared abeit different performances on the albums "Aloha from Hawaii and Moody Blue" respectively.

Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:08 am

As short as it may be, I just adore Elvis' May 1971 one-off of "I Shall Be Rleased," first issued on the 70s box. It is worth adding, I might add.

Nice list, Gary.

Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:54 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:As short as it may be, I just adore Elvis' May 1971 one-off of "I Shall Be Rleased," first issued on the 70s box. It is worth adding, I might add.

Nice list, Gary.

Me too. Even though Elvis only sings a few lines of the chorus, this all too short version of “I Shall Be Released” does provide us with some insight into what Elvis could have achieved had he decided to record the song properly back in 1971. The song was perfect for Elvis, but unfortunately these few lines are most likely all that exists of Elvis performing the song.

Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:30 pm

"Oh How I Love Jesus"

"Alright OK You Win" - from the recent "Dragonheart" CD (even though it's a short performance).

Tom

Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:48 pm

I haven't got around to buying "Dragonheart" yet so I won't get around to hearing it for a little while, the song "Alright ok you win" who originally recorded it and is there any history behind the song?.

I must agree that the few lines of "I shall be released" that he committed to tape show a beautiful song that could have been in the making had he continued to do a complete version.

And as an added note of interest concerning "I shall be released" I remember a few years ago around the time that the 70's box was released, that Roger Semon did an interview for a London based radio station called "Capitol Gold", and the interviewer (it may have been Stuart Coleman) ask RS how "I shall be released had been found and Roger reply was that back in the early days (early seventies I presume) it had been overlook for any kind of release because it had been labeled up on the tape box as "Any day now" and RCA thought was that they would have no use for a 45 second recording of an old song.

Garry

Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:06 am

garry100 wrote:I haven't got around to buying "Dragonheart" yet so I won't get around to hearing it for a little while, the song "Alright ok you win" who originally recorded it and is there any history behind the song?.

Check out my reply on this posting from June:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... hp?p=10830

garry100 wrote:I remember a few years ago around the time that the 70's box was released, that Roger Semon did an interview for a London based radio station called "Capitol Gold", and the interviewer (it may have been Stuart Coleman) ask RS how "I shall be released had been found and Roger reply was that back in the early days (early seventies I presume) it had been overlook for any kind of release because it had been labeled up on the tape box as "Any day now" and RCA thought was that they would have no use for a 45 second recording of an old song.

I've mentioned before -- this was something that Joan Deary missed when going through the Elvis archives. A nice lady, may she rest in peace, but she really didn't possess a broad musical knowledge.