Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis July 1969 RCA Rehearsal Material

Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:40 am

Has any of this material survived on tape or acetate? Surely, since the rehearsals were at the RCA studios in Hollywood, this would have been taped. It's reasonable to speculate that Elvis would want to hear how he sounded with his new band...

Does anybody have any info on the possibility for this stuff existing? Does Tunzi's Upcoming Sessions III shed any light on this?

Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:16 am

Good point.

Anyone know?

Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:49 pm

You would have thought they would put the rehearsal on tape, but they didn't always record rehearsals. Even as late as 1974, when they could have decided to have some professional multitrack running, all they had was a normal cassette tape.

In 1969 a decent machine would have been available to record him. I wouldn't have thought they had professional tape of this rehearsal, as we would have heard some of it by now... but who knows? 'Lost' tapes are surfacing all the time.

Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:10 pm

My guess is that both Elvis and the band would have wanted to hear what they sounded like, so that they could work on details and so forth. The easiest thing would have been to record different "work tapes" or as Joseph Tunzi calls them reference tapes. My guess is that those tapes are on private hands among the musicians and friends of Elvis.
I´m pretty certain that something will eventually surface and with our man Ernst on hand at BMG we well surely get to hear some of it in the future.

Sincerely MB280E