Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Questions about 3 pix attached

Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:42 pm

when taken & where?

when taken & where?

what's the deal with this needle "fixing" incident? Note the half-empty softpack of cigarettes on the nightstand. Why???

Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:26 am

Top to bottom:

September 1962, at MGM Studios in Hollywood on the set of "It Happened At The World's Fair," practicing karate with Red West (Charlie Hodge in between them on the couch)

July 1959, taking a break from touch football in Bad Nauheim

October 1960, getting a blood sample taken at Baptist Memorial in Memphis after breaking his finger

Cigarettes in a hospital was not a uncommon sight in 1960.

God bless you!

Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:43 am

correction Dr. John,
The second photo is not Germany 1959, it is 1960 in the Memphis area (outside of a high school), I know the lady who took these football photos. She now lives in Mississippi.

Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:34 am

Doc, and KingoftheJungle,

Thanks to you both for answers.

GG

I knew a hospital situation was a likely answer to pic #3 but the cigarettes and ashtray and flowered wallpaper just doesn't fit the image of a clinical sterile facility. :roll:

Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:04 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote:correction Dr. John,
The second photo is not Germany 1959, it is 1960 in the Memphis area (outside of a high school), I know the lady who took these football photos. She now lives in Mississippi.

You're correct -- his hair was shorter the previous summer. This one looks to have been taken in early March 1960, just before he dyed his hair black for the Sinatra taping on 26 March.

Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:08 am

Picture 2 looks more like 1961,"Follow That Dream" period.

Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:24 am

Nope -- the summer of 1961 he was at least ten to fifteen pounds heavier, and the haircut was much different.

Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:57 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:July 1959, taking a break from touch football in Bad Nauheim

KingOfTheJungle wrote:correction Dr. John,

Thank you KingOfTheJungle for clearing that one up.

It's a good job we don't take everything the Doc tells us as the truth.

Being a year out and the wrong country isn't a good record for someone who inserts: "Read and learn" and "He Knows!" at the end of some of his posts!

It's good to know even Dr Carpenter isn't as knowledgeable as he would like to think.

Hopefully, the next time someone is mistaken, you will have some compassion for them and not be quite as patronizing.

Sat Jul 19, 2003 3:05 am

Hi,

The Doc admits his mistake like any other would, so what's the deal here?

Anyway, that 3rd picture, what about Elvis' pants? Is is torn at the knees, like the nineties fashion, or what?

Sonny

Sat Jul 19, 2003 3:21 am

getlo wrote:I hate to question you Doctor Carpenter, but how are you so certain screen tests were shot in colour? I've seen early screen tests of movie stars which were shot in black and white.

Thursday Jul 10
drjohncarpenter wrote:That's OK -- most everyone here seems compelled to challenge what they don't know.

A reply to a previous post of mine from the Doc.

That's the deal.

Sat Jul 19, 2003 3:42 am

Sonny wrote:Hi,

what about Elvis' pants? Is is torn at the knees, like the nineties fashion, or what?

Sonny

Good observation,I hadn't noticed that!

Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:02 am

Exactly Getlo!

Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:04 am

Getlo wrote:That's the deal.

Here's the deal:

- you seldom bother to even <u>try</u> to answer queries like the above

- on occasion, I <i>do</i> make an error, perhaps 1 out of every 100 posts, I can live with that -- too bad you cannot without comment!

I suppose you're just living up to your log-in name.

God bless!

Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:59 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Here's the deal:

- you seldom bother to even <u>try</u> to answer queries like the above

Unless I am 100% certain of the answer, I tend not to guess and give them the wrong information. They are asking for a correct date and location - not a guess, based on how Elvis looked at the time. We can all do that.

drjohncarpenter wrote:- on occasion, I <i>do</i> make an error, perhaps 1 out of every 100 posts, I can live with that -- too bad you cannot without comment!

Your humility is heartwarming. Surely it can't be as many as 1 out of every 100?

drjohncarpenter wrote:I suppose you're just living up to your log-in name.

If you lived up to your log-in name, I'm afraid the Medical Council would have revoked your license by now.

Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:42 am

Here we again....

Please take these conversation off topic, or better yet, don't have them at all.

But what about my question?
Did you guys notice that Elvis' pants is torn at the knees? What do you guys suppose happened?

Sonny

Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:42 pm

Sonny -

Isn't that a piece of tissue put there by the medic in case of a slight bleed from the needle wound ?

Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:55 pm

ColinB wrote:Sonny -

Isn't that a piece of tissue put there by the medic in case of a slight bleed from the needle wound ?

You could be right Colin. To me it more looks like something sitting on the knee rather than a tear.

:twisted:

Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:23 pm

Could be, but there's a small, black piece of clothing (part of the black pants) right over the so-called tear...
Very weird.

Sonny

Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:42 pm

Here is an educated guess : maybe he tore it while practicing Karate or playing football ?
Maybe it is recorded when and where (in Memphis) he broke his finger.
Last edited by jbgude on Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:29 pm

He broke it playing football.

Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:09 am

According to "Elvis - Day By Day" by Peter Guralnick and Ernst Jorgensen, Elvis broke his finger playing touch football at Graceland on October 16, 1960.