Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
LesterB
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

If Pittsburgh News Years had been a turning Point

Post by LesterB »

I think it is fair to say by the time of the last recording session at Graceland and the CBS EIC taping Elvis was at his worst due to his lifestyle. I am the first one to say that there were brief moments of brilliance at these times but Elvis was at his worst which I am not judging him for.

Considering how he managed to pull himself together for the Pittsburgh show and the great performance he put on would EIC have been Elvis at his vocal peak if he had continued to look after his health?

What I am trying to say is that Frank Sinatra best years vocally(imho), ironically, were when Elvis was at his most popular and Sinatra was in his 40s by then.

My opinion is that the material Elvis would have tackled would have been different because he would have had more energy and enthusiasm. Also take away that tired and often incoherent quality to Elvis voice in 77 and I think we would have been left with a crystal clear and astonishingly fexible voice.

I know this is a what if question but could we have heard Elvis better than he was. Throw away your prejudice and imagine a healthy Elvis without the drugs at 42 years old. Is it possible that we did not hear the full potential of Elvis' voice??

JUST FOR TODAY

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Re: If Pittsburgh News Years had been a turning Point

Post by Cryogenic »

LesterB wrote:Is it possible that we did not hear the full potential of Elvis' voice??
Yes.

Though we heard many marvellous tones and textures. 1960-1962 is an outstanding period. His voice is unbelievably good on "Blue Hawaii", for example. And yet, the 1977 EIC recording of "Hawaiian Wedding Song" is a marvel. It doesn't match that earlier recording, but considering how much was in Elvis' system, and his general health, both physical and mental, it's an indication that he still had much to give.

Just listen to Elvis' voice on the "Today" album. His body had recently been detoxified and his singing is crisp and controlled. I just can't believe how resonant his voice is on "Susan When She Tried". That's another marvel right there. He'd already slid by 1976. Yet 1976 was when he recorded "Danny Boy". Now, this is one of the most famous songs in the world, and it's been covered by literally hundreds of singers, but Elvis' version may just be the finest of the lot. If that doesn't tell you how magnificent Elvis Presley was, and what he could really do at 41, amidst a bevy of problems, then I don't know what does.

To answer your question as directly as I can: I'd like to think that his finest moments in, say, 1975, were representative of the voice he'd have had -- at a bare minimum -- if he'd conquered his addiction. I bet he could still have pushed his voice to raw levels in that kind of reality. I don't think a "Comeback Special" style performance was beyond him. He just needed a slew of changes making. But a man is who he is. The individual parts cannot be strained out. So that was never going to happen. But it's an interesting "what if?" regardless.

Topic author
LesterB

Post by LesterB »

Hi Cryogenic - I couldn't agree more with your appraisal on Danny Boy but couldn't agree less with your views on Hawaiian Weddding Song EIC. To my ears it is dreadful and I would go to great lenghts not to show or play it to a non-fan.

However, getting back on track - I agree that Elvis' voice would have peaked in his 40s if not for the drugs. Would I have prefered it to say the 68 or 60 or 56 etc that is another post and another subject.

JUST FOR TODAY

Xaykev
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Xaykev »

"Hawaiian Wedding Song" in EIC dreadful? :shock:

That opinion is something I will never understand.

Pete Dube
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Pete Dube »

I think Elvis was in good voice at the October '76 Graceland sessions. His voice is more fluid than the previous February. Remember, he had dropped a bit of weight during this time, and seemed to be well down the road to being back in shape (at least outwardly). It's a shame he only cut 4 numbers at this session.

I too think the EIC Hawaiian Wedding Song is a nice performance.

BigredG
Registered for: 19 years 6 months
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Post by BigredG »

I just love Elvis voice in '76 & '77.

Still love to crank up the volume for stuff like Where No One Stands Alone. Awesome.

I too like Hawaiian Wedding Song from EIC - And I Love You So I think is a weak version though IMO.

Elvis 42 and beyond - drug free - what a dream. :cry:

He would have been vocally awesome - no doubt about it.

Topic author
LesterB

Post by LesterB »

I just read peoples comments on Hawaiian Wedding Song which got me thinking.

Just checked it out again - let me qualify this by saying I think the song is dreadful anyway but upon watching the EIC version again I am really refering to the the pre amble before the song!! I guess Elvis does a pretty good job of actually singing it :oops:

JUST FOR TODAY

Pete Dube
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Pete Dube »

I think that his "I thought I was married to the chick" line was one of his funnier comments on both the EIC album and the CBS Tapes. But then again, my own sense of humor runs towards the goofy (as is well-attested on this mb :oops: ).