Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Graceland now playing outtakes on PA

Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:31 pm

Surely as an incentive to get repeat visits, EPE must have struck a deal with BMG for exclusive alt takes and soundboards to play on the closed-circuit PA at Graceland Plaza and in the Shuttle Busses.

Aisde from the airing of tracks from Lisa' cd, (Lisa posters are all over the plaza now) I recently heard rare versions not the average masters one is accustomed to hearing at Graceland. Traveling on a shuttle from Heartbreak Hotel to Beale St, the little speakers played a 1970 soundboard

It's actually a smart tourism idea. Go to Memphis if you want to hear rare stuff.

Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:42 pm

It's almost worth travelling to Graceland, just to hear the alternates! I've been saying I'll have to take my girlfriend to Graceland for a while - perhaps I should get a move on!

Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:57 pm

Everyone should see Memphis. It is the Centre of the Universe.

Tuesday night, we sat on the roof of EP's Restaurant at one of the umbrella tables, had a few beers and watched the sun go down, it's rays shooting between the tall buildings to the west. The Elvis statue is right across the street where the horse-drawn carriages pull up and leave every so often.
The PA at the restaurant was playing a strange remix of "Hound Dog" it was a dozen different versions all spliced into an extended version. The Elvis variety tape (or cd) was stopped at 8:30 when the live band started.
The band is shown on a TV monitor on the 2nd floor, or you can sit at a balcony table and look down on the stage.

Note to Clint Reno, his former log-in pic: Elvis in dark shades smoking a stogie, is a framed gaint poster on the 2nd floor, and not cropped to a headshot. It is the full-body photo of Elvis in a studio. caption says 1968 right before starting to tape his Comeback Special. The suit Elvis wore to the White House is behind glass on the 2nd floor of the restaurant too.

Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:05 pm

Do you think it was any unreleased soundboard from 1970? I love going to Memphis! I loved those fried pickle chipes at Elvis' restaurant, and the catfish mmmmmmmm
I havebeen wonder if alot of the material that is acuired for the FTD label does not in fact come from EPE its self? I been thinking that alot of that material comes from the "Colonel" collection that they bought from him years ago?
JEFF d
EPFAN

Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:19 pm

JEFF d wrote:Do you think it was any unreleased soundboard from 1970? ..... I been thinking that alot of that material comes from the "Conolel" collection that they bought from him years ago?
JEFF d
EPFAN

Elvis was singing "Words" so I assume '70. I didn't hear the whole show because the shuttle ride is only about 20 min. I'm familiar with the TTWII set but this didn't sound like it.
The Colonel collection being a source is possible. They received 3 semi-trucks of stuff in 1997 when Parker died.

----------

The Official Collector's Club 3-ring binder is on sale at the G'land Plaza giftshop. It costs $39.95....for a $2 three-ring binder like at Wal-mart but it has collector club logo on front and spine.

A certain set of posters there each sell for $225 unframed (ie. rolled in a tube) or $300 framed.

----------

The tour thru the mansion is now $16.25 for adult.

It was $10 in 1998.

Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:24 pm

A lot of that stuff is way to high, and I alwasy spend wayyy to much, but I have a blast there so who cares?LOL I like the balconey at EPM resturant, wish i could have been there and had a beer with you! Did you stay at the "Heartbreak Hotel"? Its pretty neat if your an Elvis fan!
JEFF d
EPFAN
Last edited by JEFF d on Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:27 pm

I am simply amazed that since simpkins "just came back from memphis last night around 4am" he hasn't chimed in with his words of wisdom on this subject. Perhaps he's still napping. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Tom
Last edited by Tom in North Carolina on Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:30 pm

Didn't stay at the hotel. Just a one-day trip. Leave at 8am and get there by 1pm and leave at 9pm and get home in the wee hours.

eight hours in Memphis is a lot but you still can't see it all. Did find Poplar Tunes tho! Where E bought records in his younger days. It's still standing.

The mansion tour was crowded and will be all this summer. I went one time in late November, day after thanksgiving, and it was dead but allowed a slower pace to take my time to look at everything. That trip, I spent 2 hours just touring the grounds.

I'd like to return in August for a day or two of Elvis Week but too late to make hotel accomodations now.

Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:44 pm

I got an email from EPE recently saying that there were still plenty of rooms at the Downtown Marriott for Elvis week, just to let you know...
JEFF d
EPFAN

Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:57 pm

Graceland Gardener wrote:Note to Clint Reno, his former log-in pic: Elvis in dark shades smoking a stogie, is a framed gaint poster on the 2nd floor, and not cropped to a headshot. It is the full-body photo of Elvis in a studio. caption says 1968 right before starting to tape his Comeback Special.

Good to know such a cool photo is on prominent display - I assume it is a black and white image as I had to colourise my log in photo myself.

Look up the definition of 'cool' in the dictionary and you'll find that photo next to it ;)

Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:06 am

You did a fantastic job colourising the photo - it looks great!

10 out of 10 for that.

Excellent!

Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:11 am

Getlo wrote:You did a fantastic job colourising the photo - it looks great!

10 out of 10 for that.

Excellent!

Thanks for the compliment - it wasn't the current log in I colourised ........it was my previous one, though I did do a fantastic job on that one ;)

Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:14 am

Clint your the King of cool avatars!

Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:29 am

Tom in North Carolina wrote:I am simply amazed that since simpkins "just came back from memphis last night around 4am" he hasn't chimed in with his words of wisdom on this subject. Perhaps he's still napping. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Tom

Nice touch,Tom! Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:48 am

ok dan be nice

and tom you need to go to memphis you will have a good time there
and even like gg said you will here a lot of unrelased songs to.

i didnt fine lisa there, but i did see the new ftd cds even the soundtracks
but i have allready have mine coming.

curtis simpkins

Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:42 pm

A large part of my family still resides in Mooreville, MS and I have family and friends in and around Memphis, so I'm there quite often. I just don't make a huge deal about it like some folks do.

Tom

Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:48 pm

Very cool and surprising that Graceland is doing this. Think I'll go there and make some "audience" recordings and sell 'em to you guys! ;)

Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:34 pm

CURTIS SIMPKINS wrote:ok dan be nice
curtis simpkins

Ah,Curtis,I wasn't being nasty,Tom's comment just made me laugh,thats all. :lol:

Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:30 pm

He was singing "Words" so you assume it was 1970? He rarely sang that song in 1970. He mostly sang it at the 1969 shows.

Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:37 pm

did the colonel died 1997 ?

Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:11 am

I wonder if this was the "Here I Go Again" version. I know from former archivist Greg Howell that they obtained no soundboards in the colonel's collection, but I also know they have a small collection of import releases for their own purposes.