Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Which Live cds should I get? Advice from experts wanted!

Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:48 pm

Hello Elvis fans!

I've asked this before (a while back) but still need to get advice on
which I should get to suppliment the live Elvis I have in my meger
collection.

To date I have for 70's live Elvis:

Texas '72 from CLOSE UP.
Late '70 from THAT'S THE WAY IT IS 3 cd set
Live compilation from 70's on ESSENTIAL 70'S MASTERS box set
Live scattered tracks on PLATINUM.

(also have tons of tv and live Elvis from 50's on collections such
as ON THE AIR, GOLD COLLECTION, COMPLETE 50's MASTERS,
TTF and MEMORIES for the tv show).

What I'm wondering is--should I pick up the following RCA discs?

LIVE AT THE INTERNATIONAL HOTEL
ON STAGE
LIVE AT MADISON SQ GARDEN
ALOHA FROM HAWAII

OR--should I just get the LIVE IN LAS VEGAS BOX...don't want the box
AND the four above mentioned discs...just want the 4 discs or
the box set and wonder which has the best selection of songs and
quality of performances and sound to help me FINALLY decide
what to do, since I'm not a hardcore collector and dont' want
everything? I'm not in the market for FTD's except for the studio
FTD's that I was able to secure.

Any help on this from as many folks would be grateful! Please
leave detailed information as to your recommendations aside
from "Just get the LIVE IN VEGAS" box! *LOL* I need to know
WHY that (for example) may be thought of as more essential
than the 4 single discs. It would really help me decide on my
purchase!

Thanking in advance!

Regards,
Buffalo Wings
:)

Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:27 pm

Just buy everything, its all good! :D
JEFF d
EPFAN

Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:30 pm

Hi,

I would buy these CDs:

In Person: Short but the best of the best of '69. Try a Japanese version for better sound. Also it is an original album, which I would prefer.

On Stage: Original album, perfect sound (at least for me) and nealry everything is on CD3 of the Veags Set. Also on the Vegas-set are '72 recordings, which in my opinion do not fit the contents and are available on Burning Love (better coice) and on the 70s box set you already have. Son there is no big loss.

Aloha: Simply because it so well known; and includes versions you have nowhere else: Steamroller, What Now My Love (fantastic and completely overlooked)

From Elvis in Memphis (not Madison Square): Madison is almost identical to Texas 72 (and to me the latter is the better choice). So I would go for the '74 concert. The mix might be strange, but it is a very strong concert (alas very short, because we still wait for the complete upgraded version.

With these CDs you have a good basis.

Peter

Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:31 pm

well...if you ask me, you don't need to be a collector to buy and enjoy all the cd's mentioned above! even a casual fan would find them pretty good, as far as solid performances. I have all of the above ,but if you really wanted to start out getting ANY of these, I would definetely go for : LIVE at the INTERNATIONAL!!! great rockin' performances and Elvis' in between off color humor is pretty amusing! these performances capture Elvis BEFORE the strut kicked in, so he sounds like he's really into it and the band is tight. the goony bird segment (in his monologue) is hysterical! LOL

now, don't get me wrong, ALL the cd's you mentioned above are essential to the Elvis fan and I love ALL those titles. they all have sumthin' 2 offer and you should check into "AFTERNOON in the GARDEN" cd as well...as for the vegas box? it's ok and DISC 2 is the main reason 4 it! identical peformance from AUG. '70 from TTWII, but it's a solid show and great performances. Disc 1 is another show from AUG. '69, but not as good, IMO, as "LIVE at the INTERNATIONAL". if your not into "imports" and your not familiar with them, then Disc 4 would be interesting 4 u, but you might not like the sound! soundboard recordings in this day and age are not very interesting to the average listener, unless of course, your into Elvis...LOL

anyway, start off with the single cd's, they are DEFINETELY worth it and you'll have a great time enjoying Elvis at his 70's peak with ALL OF 'EM. I would go 4 a real detailed tracl info 4 ya, but I gotta go 2 work, so pick up 'em this weekend. rock on bro...EP

Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:50 pm

Buffalo Wings -
If it has to come down to a choice then I recommend that you get Live In Las Vegas. With this box you'll get a complete 69 show, a complete Aug. 70 show, most of the On Stage Feb. 1970 album, highlights from Feb. 72, and some good to great soundboard highlights from Aug. 74, Mar. & Dec. 75. If you can manage it, I also recommend An Afternoon In The Garden before Aloha.

Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:22 pm

Thanks very much for your replies! Guess i'll get (at a minimum),
"Elvis In Person Live At The Internation Hotel", and "On Stage"
to suppliment what I have so far--in my collection!

Thanks again!

Regards,
Buffalo Wings

Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:24 pm

Oh btw....would you rate "Afternoon in the Garden" as a better
performance than the "Live At Madison Sq Garden"? And is
the sound and mix better?

Thanks once again!

Regards,
Buffalo Wings

Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:52 pm

Buffalo Wings wrote:Oh btw....would you rate "Afternoon in the Garden" as a better
performance than the "Live At Madison Sq Garden"? And is
the sound and mix better?

Thanks once again!

Regards,
Buffalo Wings

Buffalo Wings -
I would personally rate An Afternoon In The Garden higher than As Recorded At MSG in terms of Elvis' overall performance level, repertoire, and sound.

I Say.............................................

Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:58 pm

Buy them all! They are all great and enjoyable to listen to.

Steve

Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:53 am

I'd say the Vegas box has more listening value all together.
Why?

*The complete show from '69 has ten more tracks than the "In Person" album. (However, I agree that the versions on "IP" are slightly better)

*The tracks from February '70 on the Vegas box give you all you need from that season. "Yesterday" and "Runaway" from the "On Stage" album are from August '69. And if I remember correctly, both songs are included on the Vegas box, disc 1.

*Personally I think the versions from February '72 (Vegas box) are better than both MSG albums. The versions from MSG are too rushed to me.

*A complete show from August 1970 is a must-have. His show never kicked ass like it did that year. Having said that, I think you also need the FTD "One night in Vegas".

*The hifi Aloha show probably makes better listening than the scattered mono '74-'75 tracks on the Vegas box.
But - you can buy the Aloha show on DVD later anyway, and you definately don't need the same show on CD as well.