Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Did Elvis (just wondering)

Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:50 am

go through a low point in death as he did in life?

meaning..1964-early68 probably wasn't a highlight and 1975-77..
Not that he didn't have fans at these times..but you know..he wasn't everywhere.

Since august 1977 has there been a time when Elvis wasn't so popular and he had been revived? I know the release of TT&F or 30#1 might be a good example but I want to say that EP has been popular since the opening of Graceland..
what are peoples thoughts??

Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:04 am

I don't really know about any really low years when Elvis wasn't popular since he died, but I do know that he hasn't been as popular as now in twenty five years, especially with him topping the charts last year with A Little Less Conversation, and with 30 Number One's, and with a new remix single Rubberneckin' being released in September, Elvis can only get more popular with younger audiences which has to be a good thing. And I know that it has never been better for us fans, what with the Collectors Label (FTD) and a Box Set every year, keep it coming !!!

Regards
Lucky

Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:36 pm

Elvis made 37 million dollars last year, far ahead of the next dead celebrity, and has topped this list most years since 1977. I don't see his popularity diminishing in the least.

Forbes Richest Deceased Celebrities
Rank Name Earnings ($mil)
1 Elvis Presley $37
2 Charles Schulz 28
3 John Lennon 20
4 Dale Earnhardt 20
5 Theodor "Dr. Seuss" Geisel 19
6 George Harrison 17
7 J.R.R. Tolkien 12
8 Bob Marley 10
9 Jimi Hendrix 8
10 Tupac Shakur 7
11 Marilyn Monroe 7
12 Jerry Garcia 5
13 Robert Ludlum 5

Tom

Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:30 pm

I'll tell you Jon that the 3-5 year period after Elvis died was really a tough time for Elvis fans! It was open season on Elvis big time. The books seemed to be a constant one upmanship of sordid "revelations" culminating in Ghouldman's. To the media and general public Elvis had been little more than a fat, sweaty, has-been, a jumpsuited joke, who crooned Vegas lounge lizard tunes and tossed scarves to horny housewives and blue-haired old ladies. His films were often dismissed as the worst things ever put out by Hollywood. His genuine accomplishments were practically written-off as being dumb luck. His music was usually discussed in terms of what he couldn't do (write songs, play the guitar well) his career in terms of what could've/should've been (world tours, dramatic films). His pioneering work of the 50's was viewed as more of a case of being at the right place at the right time and having a crafty manager rather than any substantial talent or vision on his part. If his vocal talent was acknowledged it was in the spirit of the Leiber/Stoller "idiot savant" comment. This continued into the late 80's, but the first 3-5 years were the worst.
Then in 1987, with the 10th anniversary things begin to change. Albums such as The Memphis record; The Sun Sessions; The top 10 Hits; and The Number 1 Hits received favorable reviews, and more importantly helped move the focus back on what really made Elvis matter in the first place: the music. As one critic wrote at that time, it was truly remarkable that such an amazing range of music as was contained on these records could emanate from the soul of one man!
Then Ernst entered the picture with his relentless, single-minded, devotion to restore a sense of artistic integrity to Elvis' recording career. He has succeeded magnificently!
Lastly, Peter Guralnick's 2 volume biography has gone a long way towards exorcising the spector of Goldman, and restoring badly-needed perspective to Elvis' life.
Which brings us to the present. The past few years have been a truly great time to be an Elvis fan! A worldwide #1 album. A worldwide #1 single. Another top 10 single. Critically acclaimed, decent selling, high-profile box sets. A collectors label (with a prolific release schedule no less!). Elvis' popularity and artistic credibility are the highest they've been since perhaps 1970. For me, the only downer is that Elvis himself isn't here to enjoy this renaissance.

Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:58 pm

A good post Pete. :)

8)

Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:04 pm

Very well said Pete. I was having some pretty horrible flashbacks while reading your recollections of the '80's. You summed it up pretty well. The U.S. tabloids ran an article on Elvis every other week, it seems...and they were all the most sordid crap.

I think the whole thing culminated with the "Elvis Is Alive" thing around 1987 or 1988. After that calmed down, it seems people started to notice his music again. The last 10 years, in particular, have been great.

Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:39 am

There were some pretty 'lean' years, as far as releases went. I remember when the 'Rare Elvis' L.P's came out - it was GREAT!.. and the 'Legendary Performer' series, before that.

To have an Elvis outtake was fantastic. Now we have the FTD label and FULL box sets of unreleased stuff!

Remember the days when you would watch 'On Tour' and 'TTWII', just hoping for some unreleased footage? Now we have seen 'The Lost Performances' and 'TTWII SE'.

We've never had it so good!

Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:33 am

I was going make post a supreme post on this thread, but Pete said it all.
Good one 8)

Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:56 pm

Pete, I have one word for you... BRAVO!!!

Long Live The KING!!

TCB,
Rob S.