Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

E-bay fun? How stupid does it gets!!

Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:16 pm

Elvis can't even spell his own name right!!

So Curtis is not alone!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... otohosting

Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:11 am

Excerpt from the auction description:

"Up for auction is a local estate find of an Elvis Presley signed Tour Photo Album. Not counting the covers, there are 16 pages of photographs in this in very good condition Photo Album. I am not an expert on signatures, but I have found some Elvis signatures that look close to this signature. The signature is by blue pen. If this signed Elvis item sells for a higher price then the $9.99 starting bid and later you find out that this is not a true signature. I will cheerfully refund your money upon return of this item in the same condition as I mailed it to you. Lot's of nice photo's in this one. Thanks for looking."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Forgeries usually are "close", but this one is NOT.

In fairness to this seller, .............. he/she may genuinely not know if the sig. is real .................. AND ....................... admits it, along with a refund offer.

N8
... just a fan ....

PS - Elvis often did sign his name as "Presl-y." A signing habit or quirk of Elvis', if you will.

Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:21 am

Unfortunately the signature on this item actually depreciates the collectability of the actual concert folio itself.

Clearly the starting price and offer of full refund if it goes above 9.99 would seem to indicate that the seller just doesn't know as N8 says.

In fairness the seller has said they don't know if it is genuine so it is completely down to any bidder to make sure they 'do know' before bidding !

Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:30 am

ClintReno wrote:Unfortunately the signature on this item actually depreciates the collectability of the actual concert folio itself.

Very much agreed. It ruins the "collectibility" of the item.

Common sense (hopefully) would also alert any bidder that genuine EP sigs. are not offered for $9.99 USD.

N8
... just a fan ....

Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:37 am

N880EP wrote:Elvis often did sign his name as "Presl-y." A signing habit or quirk of Elvis', if you will.

Hey, N8-

Have you seen examples of this in which the signature does not appear to be written somewhat hurriedly? My last name ends in -ey and it is not uncommon for my signature to appear that way. Naturally many people's penmanship is sacraficed a little when signing their own names, and in my case it often looks as though I have omitted my "e" when in fact I just didn't fully form my "y".

Just thought I'd mention that as a possibility. Of course, if those signatures appear otherwise pretty neat, then that's probably not the case. I do seem to remember seeing a signature of his from the 50's on something or another which was missing the "e", and it didn't appear rushed...Who knows?

Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:47 am

I sent a message to the person saying that the sig was not Elvis' and that if he'd like to send me pics of any other things with Elvis sigs on them so I could look at them, I'd be happy to. The guy sent me a thank you letter and took the item off.

Very nice guy, and seems very genuine.

Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:11 am

BobbyTCB -

I think you are looking for a more detailed explanation of the "Presl-y" forms.

Varaints, of course, exist. Pertaining to the "ey" portion only in "Presley":

1. Omission of the second "e" completely.

2. The first or second stroke in the "y" formation appearing very small.

3. The second "e" and "y" strokes both appearing very small ..... and ........ sometimes merging into a singular formation at various positions relative to each.

4. I have even seen genuine rushed sigs. where Elvis does not even complete the formation of the "y" at all (again to varying degrees).

In short, Elvis' sig. was variable, but those variations are almost always consistent variations.

No two autographs are ever exactly alike. Knowing the variation patterns is the key to spotting forgeries; for forgerers are rarely able to execute every single formation masterfully.

Another explanation as to the variants is that Elvis' sig. changed depending upon his body position while signing. Eg: sitting, standing, walking, and yes - even degree of medication influence (as evidenced particularly from 1977 sigs.) .............. and, of course, the surface he was using as support while signing (a hard surface vs. the palm of his hand). Elvis signed lots and lots of autographs in his life and was very adept at signing under any and all circumstances ....... as he almost never declined to give a sig. if requested of him (if you could get to him, that is).

N8
... just a fan ....