Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:45 pm

An addendum to my previous post. What happened after Aloha? We all know the story. Elvis goes into an ever-accelerating 4 & 1/2 year tailspin. Divorce, depression, drugs abuse, and death. However, it wasn't all bad during this time. He continued to give some (for the most part) good to great concerts in 74 & 75 (some were even exceptional). He released 3 rather solid studio albums (Good Times; Promised Land; Today). For the most part his voice regained some of the long-missing vibrancy, energy, and enthusiasm (Dec. 73 through 75). He scored a few top 20 pop chart hits. He cut some great rock & roll singles (Promised Land; T*R*O*U*B*L*E) proving he could still get it on when the spirit moved him. He strongly re-established himself on the country charts. He played to the largest audience for a single performer (for that time). He continued to play to sold out audiences in Vegas, Tahoe, and on tour in the U.S. So while this period is still one of decline, it wasn't without it's bright spots/memorable moments!

right

Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:23 am

Joe Lightcloud wrote:Got to disagree here, I don't like people pulling Elvis down as it is..... more so his fans. What you guys on about for God sake. If you think Elvis was finished after Aloha From Hawaii, you're talking out of your arse.

Sorry but I feel Elvis's "Raised On Rock" "Promised Land" "Good Times" "Today" "Boulevard" and "Moody Blue" are some of his best albums, there certainly better than many of the soundtrack albums of the 60's, how the hell can you knock them, I don't know, and most of Elvis's shows I have heard, and that's a bloody lot of 'em, are GREAT too.
Elvis 1, I can't see how you can say his shows in 76 were like Elvis didn't care. If he didn't care, I don't think he would be touring like he did, and I am sure he would not be playing New Years Eve concerts.
Sorry but I think you're talking crap. If you heard a soundboard of the New Years Eve show, or maybe if they had filmed it......properly, I think you would be blown away.

MY OPINION, IF YOU THINK ELVIS DIED AFTER ALOHA FROM HAWAII YOU'RE WRONG.....VERY WRONG :twisted:

You're right 100%

Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:22 am

There's little I can add to some of the strong comments made above particularly those that have noted the effect the lack of challenge had on Elvis. By hook or crook, Elvis should have went on a world tour or played in "A Star is Born". After Aloha the only major challenges were those of Elvis' own creation like revamping the show in August '74 or snapping back into vocal form in December 1973. They were personal challenges though to prevent boredom. There was little threat of failure, so Elvis only had to push himself so far.

It's worth noting though that Elvis' response to the Pontiac Concert and later the '77 TV show was indifferent at best.

On the other hand I don't think fans were necessarily wearing blinders. While there is no way a concert like Pittsburgh '76 compares to the 70 stuff, it's an entertaining show because of the set list, Elvis' good humor and rapport with the audience. In it's way it's a terrific show even if it's not great music or art. It's fun. It's the kind of show you get with a lot of veteran performers. It doesn't matter if they are bald or fat, they know what the audience wants and give it to them. And they enjoy themselves doing it. It's like visiting a friend.

Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:01 pm

Should Elvis have gone back to making movies after the Aloha show? Any show, anywhere else, would be a let-down for Elvis, after the excitement of a live broadcast. But was he ready for making films again? If he made a bad one, that could have been a lot worse than playing sold-out shows in Vegas.

Elvis himself said it was very difficult to comprehend that his show would be going live via satellite all around the world (or most of it).

I don't think there are many performers today who could pull off such a feat on their own.

Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:25 pm

Personal and managerial indifference is what happened. Money kept rolling in. No need to be creative anymore. A real shame.

I’ve always wondered why Elvis never made the same effort to get himself in shape for the making of On Tour as he did for the Aloha special.