Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

After Aloha From Hawaii What Happened?

Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:23 pm

I just got done watching Aloha From Hawaii and afterwards I found myself asking a question? What the hell happened to Elvis after this show? It seem's to me that after this special everything went down hill for Elvis. Health problems, poor albums, poor concerts. Everything just seemed to go wrong for the King. It's like after Aloha the wind went right out of his sails. I know drugs had alot to do with it but there had to be something more. I'm not saying that he didnt do good shows after Aloha but but thats just what they were was good. I'm sorry but anyone who thinks that Burning In Burmingham in 76 was a show stopper they are wearing blinders to the truth. In my opinion Elvis didnt belong on stage by 1976 because at times he acted like he didnt care and the way he sang proved it to me. 77 was a disaster pure and simple and the In Concert special pretty much confirmed it. 74 and 75 Elvis had some good shows but most of them were middle of the road. It seems to me that after 73 and the Aloha Special Elvis just didnt care anymore. He had reached the top of the mountain and there was nothing else for him to do. After Aloha things got sad for Elvis because it seem's to me he lost that spark and when he lost it there was nothing else to do but go down hill. I only wish things would have been different because maybe he would still be alive today.

Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:05 pm

<b>Before</b> Aloha he was also having problems. During the interview in November 1972, Elvis wasn't good at all, and it shows during the interview. At the Hilton Hotel press conference, he is far from 'alert'.

It seemed the Aloha show gave him something to focus on; but before Aloha, the concerts were pretty similar in the songs he was deciding to include.

He also made an effort to get in shape for the broadcast, which made a noticable difference in his appearance.

After Aloha, he didn't have many challenges or projects to focus on.

The beginning of the end...

Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:55 pm

Apparently Elvis stopped drugs for two weeks to get in shape for the special, but fell right back into it afterwards.

Judging from some of the early '73 shows at the Hilton his dependency even increased and he got even more depressed.

In retrospective the Aloha show was the beginning of the end for the King...
-wolf

Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:32 pm

I reckon you guys are right.

He looked in better health in the Aloha show than in EOT.

But he was never to look that good again !

That doesn't mean he didn't sometimes look better than at other times, but like his performances, things got a bit 'hit & miss' in the years after Aloha.

Sad but true.

Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:46 pm

There were "problems" as early as the autumn of 1970, but Elvis was able to maintain an overall good to great outward appearance on the professional front in the years 71-73 (Aloha & Vegas). Even in EOT he still is reasonably slim in body (no paunch) albeit a little more filled-out, most noticeably in the face. He began showing signs of losing his "battle-of-the-bulge" on his two 1973 tours and the Tahoe and summer Vegas stands in particular, but compared to what came later he still looked in overall good shape. To me, the Oct. 74 tour marked the real start of the "fat Elvis period" decline, though the second week of the Aug. 74 Vegas stand did give evidence of "problems." He seemed to bounce back, performancewise, for most of 75, with the July tour not only being the peak for the year, but arguably his best tour since 73 or perhaps even 72!

Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:48 pm

Got to disagree here, I don't like people pulling Elvis down as it is..... more so his fans. What you guys on about for God sake. If you think Elvis was finished after Aloha From Hawaii, you're talking out of your arse.

Sorry but I feel Elvis's "Raised On Rock" "Promised Land" "Good Times" "Today" "Boulevard" and "Moody Blue" are some of his best albums, there certainly better than many of the soundtrack albums of the 60's, how the hell can you knock them, I don't know, and most of Elvis's shows I have heard, and that's a bloody lot of 'em, are GREAT too.
Elvis 1, I can't see how you can say his shows in 76 were like Elvis didn't care. If he didn't care, I don't think he would be touring like he did, and I am sure he would not be playing New Years Eve concerts.
Sorry but I think you're talking crap. If you heard a soundboard of the New Years Eve show, or maybe if they had filmed it......properly, I think you would be blown away.

MY OPINION, IF YOU THINK ELVIS DIED AFTER ALOHA FROM HAWAII YOU'RE WRONG.....VERY WRONG :twisted:

Joe.....................................

Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:30 am

First of all I've seen the New Years Eve Show from 76 and I have ALOT of soundboard shows from 76 as well and there is not one show from that period that matches 70-73, not one! As far as the Fool album and Raised On Rock are concerned they were flops in the stores and Felton Jarvis was to blame. But Elvis's Good Times and Promised Land Albums in my opinion were good, very good. Moody Blue? In my opinion was not very good especially when they had to put a song from Memphis 74 on it just to make a complete album. I'm a very loyal fan of Elvis's and I will be until they day I die my freind but facts are facts and I except them for what they are. Through the good and the bad I'll always love the king but after Aloha he fell and he fell hard. Part of it was Elvis's fault and part of it wasnt. If he would have had a good manager and freinds around him that truly cared we might not be discussing this today.

Steve :evil:

Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:47 am

I disagree that Elvis never did another show on a par with Aloha after 73, heck if they had pro shots the late Dec 76 tour, or March 74 tour, or even the March 76 tour not to mention the June 75 shows you may feel differnet also.
JEFF d
EPFAN

Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:37 am

I recently read a customer's review of the "On tour" movie on Amazon.
There it was said, that the big disappointment was Elvis' singing. Compared with the controlled singer from TTWII (which the customer had bought some time previously), in On Tour he had gained a "wobble" and notable difficulties with singing the normally easy mid-register.

True, Elvis managed to lose some weight before the Aloha show, but his singing was far from what he could do at his best.
I think several of the shows from '74 sound better.

The decline became destined ...............

Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:00 am

October - 1973.

Divorce "official." Sudden crash. BMH hospitalization literally within days after his appearance in court in California.

This is when the true spiral began. Could it have been stopped? Yes, but only if Elvis himself had wanted it.

JMO.

N8
... just a fan ....

Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:27 pm

Well, in my eyes Aloha From Hawaii is an exception in every way. This isn't the regular concert you can compare to other performances of later years. Words like "Hawaii", "satellite", the often qouted (and IMO not reliable) number of "one billion" add more to its reputation than Elvis' performance itself. That's the problem I've got with Aloha. Yes, it was an event of incredible dimensions. Nobody would doubt that.

It was the location, the suit, the stage, the fact that it was a charity show, that it was beamed around the world live and in colour. People seem to remember that rather than the performance itself. How Elvis - almost godlike - landed on Waikiki beach in front of a crowd of screaming fans, the hawaiian girl that wiggles in front of him as if she's doing a holy dance for the godhood that just came down to earth, the way how Elvis gets put into the Jeep as if he was indeed that goodhood or at least the valuable statue of it that must be protected at all costs. I think all this adds to the myth of Aloha more than the show itself. Because the show was - sorry to say that - more or less pale, lame at times, even boring ...

Just my 2 Euro-cents.

Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:46 pm

"Aloha From Hawaii" was magnificent in every way.......... it still mesmerizes me to watch it.

N8
... just a fan ....

Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:04 pm

I agree with a lot of what you said See See Rider, but I never found the show boring. Even after all these years, when I watch the show I'm captivated by Elvis himself. He is the main attraction. This is the same feeling I had when I saw the show the very first time (it's original USA air date)- I just couldn't keep my attention away from Elvis- and yes, there is a lot of "mythology" involved with this- he looked like something that landed on Earth from another world- and it was magnificant to behold! This is part of what makes Elvis- Elvis! It can't be explained really- but obviously not everyone feels it!

Nashnet

nashnet...........................

Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:30 pm

This is my feeling about Aloha as well thats why I love the show as much as I do. When I started this discussion it was not meant to be a slam on The King. I just felt that he wasnt the same after 73.

Steve

Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:51 pm

nashnet wrote:I agree with a lot of what you said See See Rider, but I never found the show boring. Even after all these years, when I watch the show I'm captivated by Elvis himself. He is the main attraction. This is the same feeling I had when I saw the show the very first time (it's original USA air date)- I just couldn't keep my attention away from Elvis- and yes, there is a lot of "mythology" involved with this- he looked like something that landed on Earth from another world- and it was magnificant to behold! This is part of what makes Elvis- Elvis! It can't be explained really- but obviously not everyone feels it!

nashnet - I know what you mean. For me the music makes Elvis "Elvis". When I was younger and just getting more into Elvis I was of course a fan of all this ballyhoo either. Today other things are more important for me, mainly his musical genius, his singing abilities and his cultural influences. I don't care for the overblown pomp that Aloha From Hawaii is IMHO. Others might see it differently that okay. No problem.

I was just wondering why everybody seems to think that Aloha was something like a climax because musically it wasn't. It probably could have been - but IMO it wasn't.

Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:54 pm

See See Rider -

Knowing that he is being broadcast live around the world [never mind the exact audience figure] and also recording a live double album, Elvis is forced to be on his best behaviour.

Very focussed on his performance; little banter with the audience or other band members/singers; no vocal gymnastics from JD; no giggling or muffed lyrics; no 'throw-away' versions of songs; no rambling monologues !

For me, far from being boring, this more disciplined approach makes for a better, tighter, more professional, more enjoyable performance.

Sure, it is fun to watch & listen to Elvis having a ball on stage, with all his goofing around and stage banter, but we can get that elsewhere.

On Aloha, his measured, careful, focussed approach is a welcome change !

Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:03 pm

On this matter, I remember a TV programme from the mid 80s; "Elvis- The Echo Will Never Die" hosted by Casey Kasem.

To quote the host's narration:
"After Aloha from Hawaii, he could have played ANYWHERE he wanted.
Instead, it was back to the old routine, playing one night stands in cities he had played a 'thousand times' before..."

When you take away challenges, what is left? Nothing.

Br
Kristian

Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:59 pm

ELVIS 1, sorry but you are talking rubbish.... when you say there is not a later show that can match 73, what a load of utter rubbish.
Some shows in 73 were a bit down, believe me.
Elvis's shows in late 76 were fantastic. He gave everything he had, and if you don't appreciate that, then your.....we'll I better not say.

Just like to say MOODY BLUE is one of my favorite albums and if you don't like it because it has a song from 74, then you're no Elvis fan.
I have never met a fan, who thinks the MOODY BLUE album is not very good.
Just because they couldn't get Elvis in the recording studio, to fill up the album, you think it's not very good!

WAY DOWN, MOODY BLUE, ITS EASY FOR YOU, PLEDGING MY LOVE, SHE THINKS I STILL CARE, HE'LL HAVE TO GO

Not Very Good.... Jesus what kind of an Elvis fan are you.

I believe you're trying to wind people up, WAY DOWN not very good.... I can't believe it.

Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:49 pm

There’s a difference between an album containing certain strong performances, and what is considered overall a great or classic album. Like “Elvis Now” or “Fool”, “Moody Blue” had it’s moments, but the sad fact is that the 1974 performance of “Let Me Be There” was only included on the album because the majority of the spring 1977 recordings were considered unsatisfactory. It’s also worth noting that Felton was only recording Elvis on the road in the first place, because he couldn’t get him into a recording studio, and was hoping that he might capture something new on the road.

These are not really the circumstances surrounding a classic album. The album did have its moments, and I’m sure many people (myself included) have enjoyed it over the years. However, the circumstances surrounding how it was recorded and compiled surely highlight how things did go wrong post 1973, rather than make a case for Elvis being just as good as ever was in 1977.

Mr. Lightcloud..................................

Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:53 pm

First let me get this off my chest about your post saying I'm not an Elvis fan because I dont like Moody Blue. I've been an Elvis fan since the day I was born my freind and the difference is between you and I is the fact that I dont wear blinders and can except the truth, you cant! Moody Blue was a shody album and if you like it fine but not all Elvis fans dont and just because there are those of us who dont like certain albums that Elvis put out does not mean we are not fans. So your comment about me and others not liking certain albums are idiotic. I have nearly every Album and single the King put out, the good and bad. I have nearly every cd and bootleg thats ever been put out by the King plus alot of other stuff I wont even go into and you say I'm not a fan? In your own words that RUBBISH!!!!!! It seem's to me you dont like anything negative said about Elvis or I'm not a fan. Well Mr. Lightcloud I'm more of a fan then you'll ever know and I dont jump down peoples throats because they make one negative comment about a performance or an album. Being called a non-Elvis fan is something I take personal. Elvis fans can discuss the good and bad and if you cant handle that then too bad dont respond to this topic! If us Elvis fans cant discuss a good or bad topic then theres no use for this forum. I ask you Mr. Lightcloud? JUST WHAT KIND OF A FAN ARE YOU?

:evil:

Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:03 pm

I don't think you have to like "Moody Blue" album to be a fan. Lots of Elvis fans don't like the "Rased On Rock" album either. I like them both but then again I AM Elvis #1 fan! :D lol
JEFF d
Elvis fan!

Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:02 am

ELVIS 1, when somebody comes along and starts knocking Elvis, I don't like it OK. That's it.....
My favorite era of Elvis's life would probably be the 70's, all the 70's not just the first 3 years.....
Songs like Way Down, Moody Blue, Promised Land, Good Time Charlies Got The Blues, Pieces Of My Life are to me great songs, if you think there poor, well.....

Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:09 am

Well said Colin. I think we as fans tend to use TTWII the bar to which every Elvis performance in the 70's should be compared to. Aloha was completely different as it seemed like his focus was primarily on the music only, perhaps also a shift in direction with a lot less movement. I loved that special for different reasons. As far as never the same after this show, mentally and emotionally having come off the biggest spectacle of his or anybody's else's career, with an estimated 1-1.5 billion people watching it must have been extremely difficult to perform a few weeks later in Vegas. This is period where I believe the Colonel dropped the ball and lost his awareness, starting after Aloha.

Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:12 am

I agree with others that after the Aloha Special there was lack of a challenge. I suppose not everyone can say they've been at the very top of their career- and are now on the backside of the hill- it must be a most difficult challenge to stay motivated at that point.
It's been mentioned that if Elvis... he might still be alive today. This could be a topic on it's own. No one can say for sure- but I remember hearing from the autopsy report that Elvis' internal organs had aged to that of an 80 year old man. There probably would have been no reversing of that. I'm no medical expert, but I think Elvis maybe could have lived longer- but not much longer- the damage had been done.

Nashnet

Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:05 pm

My 2 cents, for what it's worth. I think the Aloha show is a good, entertaining show, but overall the dynamism is much -reduced from what it had been in 1970, or even 72 for that matter. This gives the show a low-key feel that occasionally borders on being a bit on the dull side. Vocally Elvis just doesn't sing the rockers with the same level of gusto and vigor that he did just a few short years earlier, and he doesn't really move/shake all that much (which I believe was deliberate). He tends to hit poses/stances rather than actually move. In fact, Elvis comes uncomfortably close to being a poseur during this concert. It's his magnetism/charisma, impressive physical appearance, and strong vocal efforts on the big dramatic ballads (Mountain; My Way; It's Over; What Now My Love; Trilogy) and the pretty tunes (I'm So Lonesome; Welcome To My World; I'll Remember You) along with Steamroller Blues and Fever that save the day and make this show worthwhile. Some fans have written on this mb that Elvis was very relaxed during this concert, while others say he was nervous. Well, which is it folks, it has to be one or the other? In any event, the Aloha show was, sadly, Elvis' "last hurrah." It was the last time he looked truly great, slim & healthy. It was the last time he captured the attention of the general public. It was the last time there was a concrete goal to be achieved careerwise. In short, it represents his last burst of glory!