Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Amazing Grace 2cd or Peace in The Valley 3cd ??

Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:54 am

Hey All,

I have the Amazing Grace 2cd set but could anyone let me know if the Peace In The Valley 3cd set is still worth getting.

Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:05 am

Promocollector -

I never bothered with the 'Peace In The Valley' set - and I have virtually every official release !

Already having 'Amazing Grace', it didn't seem to offer anything new, just gathered all the gospel/sacred tracks on one set !

Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:06 am

Thanks ColinB, I think i will stick with Amazing Grace for awhile!:)

Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:56 am

I have both, but Amazing Grace is my definitive favorite of those two!

Peace in the Valley offers nothing new.

In addition to the content on Amazing Grace, there are the sacred performances from the Million Dollar Quartet session (totally misplaced, if you ask me!), informal gospel material from Elvis on Tour, a couple of so called sacred songs not included on Amazing Grace, plus live performances of sacred songs from the 70s.

In trying to collect "ALL" the Gospel of Elvis on one set, this 3 cd compilation instead ruins the good feeling that Amazing Grace offers.

Br
Kristian

Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:26 am

Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:I have both, but Amazing Grace is my definitive favorite of those two!

Peace in the Valley offers nothing new. (...)

In trying to collect "ALL" the Gospel of Elvis on one set, this 3 cd compilation instead ruins the good feeling that Amazing Grace offers.

Br
Kristian

I disagree and prefer Peace In The Valley. This is a fine little boxset featuring all the gospel performances on 3 CDs. The sound has also improved. Nothing big, nothing breathtaking but definately better than before. Listen to the 1974 live material for example.

Haven't listened to this one in a while. Thanks for remembering me!

amazing grace or peace in the valley

Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:11 pm

amazing grace is a better listening experiance than peace in the valley........but peace has all the complete gospel songd

Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:46 pm

"Peace In The Valley" set has better sound overall than the "Amazing Grace" set. I still prefer the 24-bit Japan remasters to these, but between the two, if it's sound quality you're after, it's "Peace In The Valley".

QUALITY

Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:33 pm

The sound quality of the 1972 gospel rehearsal numbers are in better quality on "Peace in the valley" than they are on "Amazing grace", but really this later box set was a needless release, only serving to confuse the general public and just duplicating the same material again for the umpteenth time. They should now release it all again, to include the home recording of "Hide thou me" issued on "Today, tommorow and forever" box set!!!

Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:04 pm

I never bought PItV because the contents of disc 3 look like an unsatisfactory jumble of recording types. I like having the home recordings and movie gospels like the Trouble with Girls, but I don't
want to hear any of those songs in the context they are presented in.

I've heard the sound is better. If it's only better on the rehearsal or 70's live cuts, I can live without it.

If however the sound on the 60's sessions is really better, I'd have to consider it. I'd like to hear more opinions about that, because I love those recordings and if they sound even better than Amazing Grace, it must be stunning!

Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:15 pm

Oh yeah, one more thing:

What is the deal with that incredibly crappy looking photo composite on the cover of Peace In the Valley??? It's pixelated, has some kind of streaking going on, the color seems faded, and it's so blurry you practically have to squint to make out the shape of Elvis' facial features. What the hell, did BMG use a busted copier at Kinko's to reproduce the cd insert cards?

Sorry to nit pick, but when they're milking more bucks out of fans for previously released material, they could at least give us some decent artwork to enhance the recycled product. If I ever do buy this release, I will stick the very attractive cover of Amazing Grace over the "Peace" cover, I can't stand to look at that thing even as a thumbnail on the net!

End of rant, "Peace" out.

Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:08 pm

I prefer PITV because it is more complete than AG (which I sold btw), even though one wonders if every seperate song on PITV can be deemed a "gospel" song. :roll:

I strive to have as much material possible on as small of number cd's as possible in my Elvis collection with minimal duplication, that is why I opted for PITV 3cd + the slightly better sound (not that big a difference). But for sheer listening pleasure, AG plays better I must admit.

Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:15 pm

Personally, I would recommend “Amazing Grace”. Most of the extra material featured on “Peace In The Valley” wasn’t up to the standard of the original gospel masters, and this makes “Amazing Grace” a better listening experience.

However, James27 makes a good point about the purpose of the “Peace In The Valley” set. So if you are looking to collect the masters, rather than all the original releases (and later variations) “Peace In The Valley” represents a better buy in that respect.