Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

What kind of relationship did Tom Parker have with his wife?

Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:16 am

We've all discussed Tom Parker's "treatment" of Elvis, but how did he treat his own wife? Does the new Nash book say anything about it? Also did the Colonel have any children? If he did, I wonder what they think about things Elvis. Is Mrs. Parker still alive?

Nashnet

Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:26 am

His second wife is on the Definative Elvis DVD and she is all teary eyed and saying "he didn't thake advantage of Elvis, they were partnbers" waaaaaaaaaaaaa!!
JEFF d
EPFAN

Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:17 am

So Jeff- the Colonel kept her in the dark- she truly didn't know? Or she is rationalizing the whole thing- or what?

Nashnet

Re: What kind of relationship did Tom Parker have with his w

Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:02 am

nashnet wrote:We've all discussed Tom Parker's "treatment" of Elvis, but how did he treat his own wife? Does the new Nash book say anything about it? Also did the Colonel have any children? If he did, I wonder what they think about things Elvis. Is Mrs. Parker still alive?

1) The same as everyone else he associated with.

2) Probably -- it's a biography, you know.

3) No -- unless you count Joe Esposito.

4) Nope.

Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:02 am

HA! Unless you count Joe Esposito.... how true.
Mike

Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:52 am

His contact called for her to receive 50% of all his income once expenses had been deducted.

Her shower singing song list had to be cleared with Freddy Bienstock.

All household expenses were to be charged against MGM and RCA Record Tours. Tom Diskin to oversee this.

The Colonels contract ensured that any physical contact (performances) were at the Colonels discretion on a pay for play basis - in the Colonel's favour.

Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:49 am

Why oh why didn't Elvis fire the Colonel somewhere down the line?
He would have been SO better off without him!

When he finally tried to (in the mid 70s), the Colonel of course threatened to sue the hell out of him, and cash in on so called earlier made deals...

The Colonel might have been the catalysator to Elvis' rise to fame in the 50s, but afterwards he didn't do ANYTHING good for Elvis in my humble opinion! Only stood in the way for greater things to happen...
What a shame! And what a waste...

Br
Kristian

Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:51 pm

I'm halfway through this interesting book, so maybe i can say a 'little'? Parker and his Wife had seperate bedrooms(much like some very old couples) and yet if anyone tried to kiss his wife he would get VERY agressive! About Elvis and Parker it's amazing -really that Parker lived SO LONG!? AFTER Eddy Arnold quit the Colonel had his first heart attack and took to his bed, then in 1956 he had a 2nd one! I would have expected Parker to have another heart attack when Presley tried to quit in 73', but maybe he didn't because he had calculated that (unlike arnold) the Presley's couldn't pay out the amount needed and therefore he retained him? Interesting book, but about Parker NOT Presley.

Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:08 am

Does anyone know when Mrs. Parker died? And how long was she married to the Colonel?

Nashnet

Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:49 am

hi, just of the top of my head i believe Marie Parker died in 1986-they must have been married a long,long time sorry forgot how long.

Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:15 pm

What kind of relationship? Are you asking if he screwed her the way he screwed everyone else? :lol:

Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:41 pm

The "Marie" in Lisa Marie is a tribute to Parker's wife Marie Parker. That's common knowledge. Elvis certainly respected her alot to name his own daughter after her.

There are pictures of Mrs. Parker in the ELVIS DAY BY DAY book. No offense meant but she resembles George Washington on the back of a 25-cent quarter.

Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:05 pm

Graceland Gardener...are you sure that Elvis was paying tribute to Mrs. Parker with "Lisa Marie"...or is it possible that the Colonel also had a 50% share when it came to naming rights of Elvis's offspring?

Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:11 pm

Eagle,

that's possible. Technically the offspring of Elvis would be a "by-product"

:?

Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:42 am

Yes, with all the strange things we've heard about the Colonel as far as his relationships with people, I just wondered if he had a good relationship with his own wife. I haven't heard yet that he was close to anyone- even her. I think the fact that he appeared at Elvis' funeral in casual wear and wearing a baseball cap says tons about his disconnection with those around him. What a strange man, indeed. Wonder why he had no kids?

Nashnet

Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:02 am

The Colonel begins to fit the criteria for Antisocial Personality Disorder when you think about it- con artist, manipulative, charming at times, unable to form close relationships, problems with authority figures, feeling the world is there just for him. The possibilty that he murdered someone in the old country just heightens this idea. This would also help us understand more fully the "hold" he had on Elvis.

Nashnet

Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:27 am

Without The Colonel we would not be discussing Elvis here :D

Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:36 am

Luuk wrote:Without The Colonel we would not be discussing Elvis here :D

You're right ....we might be going to his shows instead. :wink:

8)

Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:20 am

In early 1954 Elvis was a volcano waiting to erupt.

The explosion would have come sooner or later.

Colonel Tom or no Colonel Tom.

Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:34 am

Information about Elvis and Sun Records can be seen in the excellent documentary "Good rocking tonight" which is available on DVD.
The Colonel made Elvis the highest paid entertainer. In 1957 Elvis could have taken another manager but did not.
Instead of touring the world, Elvis made movies so we all could see him, no matter where you lived. A great idea from The Colonel. Looking back the movies are silly but at the time they were great. Also they were not made to be seen at home on video or DVD but to be seen in the cinema.
Looking back it is easy to say Elvis could have toured worldwide, like the groups do these days, but back then it was a different cup of tea!
I remember being at a Led Zeppeling concert in Amsterdam in an old hall without ANY comfort. This was the only way to make it profitable for the organisers.
These days the Elvis video tour sells out like hot cakes. What do you think would have happened if Elvis would have toured the world in the seventies? EVERYBODY would have wanted to be there and the fans would not have had a chance to see him. The stadiums would be filled with rich artists and other millionaires. You see, these people are not fans but persons who - for their social status - must attend such concerts.
Remember the opening night in Vegas in 1969 was filled with stars and celebrities only?

Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:37 am

Sooner or later? I don't think so. Perfect timing was one of the main reasons Elvis became Huge as well as having a great promoter behind him.

The Colonel's wife developed Alzheimer's disease. And that relationhip obviously went down hill. His second wife is a nice lady and appears on the definative Elvis and revealed a different side of The Colonel. it was refreshing. Contrary to popular belief The Colonel did have friends.

As far as Elvis and The Colonel. The Colonel did not force Elvis to do anything or keep him from doing things. If Elvis had showed some backbone in that part of his life, then he would have done the things he supposedly wanted to do.

Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:36 pm

Well said khmm.

All this demonising of Parker gets awfully boring, and gives the guy far more credit for being an A1 shyster than he really deserves. He was a shyster alright, but a strictly second rate one. And why Elvis fell for his shictk, when a kid could have seen through him, i`ll never know.