Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

2001 Theme / Elvis On Tour

Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:29 pm

This is a question that has puzzled me for 30 years. Why is the 2001 theme not heard in Elvis On Tour ? I did wonder if there were copyright problems, as a similar-type tune is played in the film. At the time I thought maybe it just sounded different from back stage !

Also, I wasn't sure whether Elvis had indeed started using 2001 by then, but there it is on CD4 on the new Close Up set. Does anyone know the answer to this, and the exact date when it was first used anywhere by Elvis ?

Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:45 pm

Steve -

The 2001 theme was being used in 1972.

I think copyright problems led to another tune being inserted in 'EOT' in post-production.

Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:03 pm

Yeah Steve, as I always understood it, MGM had a copyright issue over using the theme in the picture, so instead they used a similar theme. I believe the theme they used came from the movie "Ben Hurr" (I think???).
Does anyone know if this is correct? Oh Doc John where art thou!

Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:20 pm

Big Boss Man wrote:Yeah Steve, as I always understood it, MGM had a copyright issue over using the theme in the picture, so instead they used a similar theme. I believe the theme they used came from the movie "Ben Hurr" (I think???).
Does anyone know if this is correct? Oh Doc John where art thou!

I think you're right. To my humble knowledge it has to do with the movie rights. "Also Sprach Zarathustra" was not public domain in 1972, I guess. But let's wait for the Doc's consultation-hour ...

Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:33 pm

The first time the 2001 theme was used was in Las Vegas january 27;- 1971, more then one year before Elvis on tour.

The first version ever was released on the excellent import"All things are possible"(DAE);an outstanding soundboard with rare tracks in great soundquality.