Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

who wrote and made the music of....?

Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:29 pm

change of habit and let yourself go...???
thanks!

Re: who wrote and made the music of....?

Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:04 pm

ale wrote:change of habit and let yourself go...???
thanks!

"Let Yourself Go" (Joy Byers)
=21 June 1967=
Elvis Presley - vcl
Chip Young - gtr
Bob Moore - bs
Buddy Harman, DJ Fontana - drms
Larry Muhoberac - piano
Boots Randolph - sax
Jordanaires - bkg vcls

"Change Of Habit" (Buddy Kaye / Ben Weisman)
=05 March 1969=
Elvis Presley - vcl
Dennis Budmir, Mike Deasy, Howard Roberts - gtrs
Joe Mondragon - acoustic bs
Lyle Ritz - bs
Carl "Cubby" O'Brien - drms
Roger Kelloway - piano

Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:20 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ale wrote:change of habit and let yourself go...???
thanks!

=21 June 1967=
Elvis Presley - vcl
Chip Young - gtr
Bob Moore - bs
Larry Muhoberac - piano
Boots Randolph - sax
Jordanaires - bkg vcls

"Change Of Habit" (Buddy Kaye / Ben Weisman)
=05 March 1969=
Elvis Presley - vcl
Dennis Budmir, Mike Deasy, Howard Roberts - gtrs
Joe Mondragon - acoustic bs
Lyle Ritz - bs
Carl "Cubby" O'Brien - drms
Roger Kelloway - piano

Dr John

Impressive or what? That's what I like about this board you don't have to post - unless you have a new avatar to show off - to learn!

Girlhappy

Girlhappy

Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:38 pm

Thanks. Of interest is that Larry Muhoberac would join Elvis on stage in 1969 -- as he did in 1961 -- and that Carl "Cubby" O'Brien was a former "Mouseketeer" children's TV star.

Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:08 pm

Incidentally Ale, why ask such a query of these particular tunes?

Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:20 pm

hi
thanks for the info..
i asked about these songs because i'm working with local bmg on a project..
you'll have more news soon..!

Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:44 pm

Interesting -- send me a CD promo when you're finished!

Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:10 pm

Doc -
Wasn't Joy Byers really Dylan producer Bob Johnston writing under his wifes name? Or was that only on certain songs?

Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:30 pm

I understood it to be all the songs.

Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:54 pm

I DON'T KNOW IF I'LL BE ABLE TO SEND YOU A PROMO BUT FUR SURE YOU'LL BE INTERESTED IN HAVING A COPY....SO MAYBE WE CAN TRADE... :D

Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:14 am

ale

were your questions about 8mm footage also to do with 'projects' you are working on ?

Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:58 am

I am most curious as well. I am confused as to why that info was not readily available to those working on the project. And if I may ask, Ale, where is "local" to you? Perhaps that will shed some light on this for me. Good luck in your endeavors.

Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:00 am

=21 June 1967=
Elvis Presley - vcl
Chip Young - gtr
Bob Moore - bs
Larry Muhoberac - piano
Boots Randolph - sax
Jordanaires - bkg vcls

hey Doc

I'm a musician so I could probably answer this myself, but I'm interested when I see it on Elvis sessions. When songs like Let Yourself Go and others have 2 drummers, does that mean they actually played together or one was on 1 take and the other was on another, or did one just play percussion?? Just curious. Thanks. Jon

Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:50 am

I once read a book about drummers in which Buddy Harmon said that there was no set pattern - whoever at the time felt the happiest with the rythym played the major drum role with the other using hand held devices and cymbal and rim shot fills.

Who did what was only sorted out while the arrangement was being nutted out.

Having a second drummer was not a reflection on DJ - it was the desire to produce a fatter sound in those pre-digital days.

Only very occaisionally were both drum sets were used full on together. The opening to Memphis,Tennessee might be an example of dual use.

Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:07 am

Jon -

Alan covered most of your query. Sadly, DJ Fontana was considered by some in the Elvis hierarchy -- read Tom Parker, Freddy Bienstock -- as being "substandard," thus the installation of an additional drummer on all Presley sessions as early as March 1960.

However, Elvis didn't agree with this assessment, so DJ stayed on. His role was usually the rock-solid time-keeper, with Buddy Harman -- or whoever -- playing the fills. The superb April 1960 recording of "Fever" is a prime example of this wonderful collaboration.

At the end of the day, it is DJ Fontana who played drums on virtually all of Presley's 1950s live and studio dates, from mid-1955 to Elvis' last session of the decade, in June 1958.

What an awesome, unbeatable legacy.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:06 pm

THE PROJECT IS WITH LOCAL BMG...
WHAT I CAN SAY IS THAT THE PROJECT CONSIST IN MAKING A COMPILATION WITH MATERIAL THAT WILL SHOW ANOTHER IGNORED MUSICAL PROFILE OF THE KING.
I THINK ELVIS AND THIS MATERIAL DISERVE SUCH RELEASE....
MOST OF THE MATERIAL THERE HAS BEEN ALREADY RELEASED IN OFICIAL AND BOOTLEGS....BUT IS GREAT TO HAVE THE BOOTLEGS ONES RELEASED IN AN OFICIAL WAY.