Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Was- The Hulk (Bill Bixby) an Elvis fan or just a co-star?

Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:57 pm

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

the squirrel :shock:

Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:00 pm

He impressed me as being a fan.

Nashnet

Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:33 pm

I think he was a fan and a friend at one time.

Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:56 pm

To the best of my knowledge Bill Bixby said nothing but good things about Elvis and his experiences co-starring with him. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of Stella Stevens and Joan Blondell, both of whom have said some pretty bad things about Elvis. Personally, I've attributed their sh*tty comments to the old adage "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."

Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:22 pm

I believe Stella Stevens said on "The Definitive Elvis" DVD set that she has never seen "Girls! Girls! Girls!" It sounds like she is the cause of whatever problems she has with Elvis. I know she has no problem autographing 8 x 10 glossy photos of her time with him, though. For a couple of bucks, of course.

Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:08 pm

I remember seeing Bill Bixby fronting a show about whether Elvis was still alive. I couldn't stand the guy after that. Thought he 'sold his soul to the devil'. The programme was pure trash.

Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:13 pm

Getlo...You took the words "right out of my mouth!"
Up until that show, I had no negative thoughts of Bill and his opinion of ELVIS...however...that all changed AFTER his show.
JMO!
maeflower

Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:21 pm

KHoots,
The photo of Stella with Elvis and one of her with Jerry Lewis (from "The Nutty Professor") are the two top sellers from her web site. However, she has nothing at all good to say about those two leading men. She also bad-mouthed Hackman and Borgnine from "Poseidon Adventure", so it's pretty easy to see a trend with her.

Tom

Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:37 pm

If you're not an Elvis fan yet you get to work closely with him on a film, what a waste. Give the employment to a fan!

No wonder Elvis got sick of Hollywood studios - the people involved are 90% not fans - they are businessmen and actors who are unimpressed peers to him, a mere actor himself.

It was the lack of adulation and lack of real applause that separates Elvis actor-under-contract from that of Elvis magnificent superstar in the concert arena.

2 different worlds. 2 different environments.

Filmmaking Elvis = surrounded by SAG member cast & unionized crew (boring)

Musicmaking Elvis = surrounded by band and 1,000s of fans.
(screaming!!!!!)

Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:12 pm

From what my wife has told me about Stella Stevens it appears the "character" she "played" in the Poseidon Adventure (tart-tongued, bitch-on-wheels, ex-hooker) wasn't exactly a stretch for the lady (and I use that word generously). Oh, by the way, Ms. Stevens son Andrew was born in Memphis Tenn. in 1955 if memory serves. Hmmmm? It does make one wonder! :wink:
As for Bill Bixby, he did do a follow-up program to the original Elvis is alive one, and on that second program he stated in no uncertain terms that he thought Elvis was dead.

Bill Bixby

Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:35 pm

Despite The Elvis Files 2 mentioned in the above post, I still can't forget or forgive Bill Bixby for forceably demanding that the authorities exhume Elvis to prove he was either dead or alive during promotion of the first Elvis Files debate. A fan would not be so tasteless! And to think I used to pity the guy when no-one stopped to give him a ride at the end of The Incredible Hulk tv shows...

Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:48 pm

Oh come on, aren't you guys being a little overdramatic about Bill's "betrayal"? The guy was hired for gig with a premise so laughable only a fool would be taken in by it. (Almost as ludacris as Bill's lip syncing in He's Your Uncle Not Your Dad.) I view the whole Is Elvis Alive? phenomenon as an entertaining and socially telling myth, no more no less. No one was hurt by this, least of all Elvis or his legacy. Disrespect for the dead, blah blah blah, lighten up!

Incidently, I like Bill mutch better as David Banner than this blank slate on display in the boring and long as hell theatrical disappointment. But unfortunately in the Elvis movies, he didn't have the charisma or talent to rise above such thankless, poorly written roles. Don't know who could have frankly, maybe Jerry Lewis; seemed like they tried to make Dean/Jerry teams out of Elvis and his male costars playing pathetic side-kicks like Bill in Speedway and especially that godawful geek in Tickle Me.

Bill Bixby.........

Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:05 am

Hello group!!

Bill was one of my first clients in 1967. He and Elvis were very close friends. They even met at my Optique Boutique on Sunset during that time as I fitted each of them for their eyeglasses.

I made Bill's glasses for the Courtship of Eddie's father, The Bill Bixby Show and for the Hulk series.....

Again, they were very close friends..........

You can see Bill's Autographed picture on my web site.........

He was a dear friend and is missed!!

>>>TCB<<<

Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:22 pm

I read that Elvis did pay Bill a visit on the set of "The Courtship of Eddie's Father" in 1970.

Tom (from Ohio)

Re: Bill Bixby.........

Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:03 pm

Celebrity Sunglasses wrote:Bill was one of my first clients in 1967. He and Elvis were very close friends. They even met at my Optique Boutique on Sunset during that time as I fitted each of them for their eyeglasses.

Bix was always cordial the two times I met and spoke with him. He had remained friends with fellow students from UC Berkeley, which he attended for a short time in the 1950s. I don't ever recall him mentioning Elvis as a "close friend." Of course, he never mentioned his "eyeglasses" experiences either, hard as this may be to believe.

hounddawgs6499 wrote:I read that Elvis did pay Bill a visit on the set of "The Courtship of Eddie's Father" in 1970.

Tom (from Ohio)

Not true. Where did you read this?

Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:35 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
hounddawgs6499 wrote:I read that Elvis did pay Bill a visit on the set of "The Courtship of Eddie's Father" in 1970.

Tom (from Ohio)

Not true. Where did you read this?

There is a reference in the book "All Shook Up: Elvis Day-By-Day 1954-1977 (Second Edition)" by Lee Cotten (Popular Culture, Ink. 1998), page 298:

Early to mid-JUL
While at MGM Studios, Elvis dropped by the set of one of his favorite television shows, "The Courtship of Eddie's Father"

According to the book, the visit took place in mid-July 1970

The book is the only one I have seen where they mentioned Elvis dropping by the set of '...Eddie's Father'.

Dr. John, Thanks for taking the time to read my earlier comment, and also for asking. (I should've named my source earlier. LOL).
I hope this is of help to you, and anyone else.

Tom (from Ohio)

Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:21 am

Man, If it's not in a book somewhere it just couldn't have happenned. LOL

:lol:

Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:56 am

sam wrote:Man, If it's not in a book somewhere it just couldn't have happenned. [ SIC ] LOL

Reading a book => try it sometime.

Perhaps prior to your 1,000th post in barely three months?

Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:36 am

Wow,Sam,that is some going!!!

Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:45 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Reading a book => try it sometime.

Well if it has plenty of pics I'll give it a go. I am having a bit of difficulty with my Batman books but I'll get there eventually. :roll:

:lol:

Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:47 am

drjohncarpenter wrote: Not true. Where did you read this?

Where did you read that it's not true Doc.? :lol:

:roll:

Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:58 am

SAM
You are forgetting, "Dr John - He Knows!" lol :lol: