Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Worst FTD concert releases - which is worse?

DragonHeart
15%
Tucson 76
55%
New Year's Eve
25%
Dixeland Rocks
No votes
Dinner At Eight
No votes
One Night In Vegas
No votes
Elvis At The International
5%

Total votes : 20

DragonHeart - my comments

Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:40 am

Just finished listening to DragonHeart - the front cover is substandard - the innersleeve is excellent and the sound for a soundbaord is one of the best I have heard - not muffled at all with audience reaction and the orchestra all audible and Elvis' voice not overriding everything.

As for the content:

DragonHeart - good for one listening, but not something i care to listen to again. The Sept-Oct 1974 tour is notoriously bad -College Park was atrocious, this is better - and maybe the best of that tour, but compared to anything else Elvis did it is pretty bad. He is not in vocal control - he can't hold a note, he talk/sings many cuts and is obviously on something that is making him very talkative. He is speaking at a very rapid rate as if he can't stop himself. Much to my dismay, and our loss, the crowd doesn't notice and screams for him like it is 1956 all over again - what a shame - if only they had booed him he might have straigtened himself out.

Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:51 am

I agree with your comments about this release, but being honest, would you have booed Elvis had you been there?

Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:53 pm

Hi!

We always tend to see things a little bit clearer AFTER they actually happen. What is obviously, is that the man needed challenges to perform at his best.
Endless tours playing towns he'd played a zillion times before, and routine Vegas/Tahoe engagements at the same hotels was NOT what he needed.

If he had managed to get overseas for concerts to for instance Europe (or the rest of the world for that matter), things probably would've gone otherwise.

Someone will probably kick me for this, but I sometimes wish that the American fans attending Elvis concerts in the 70s would have been more "critical".
Elvis tried on a few occasions to refresh his concert repertoire, but the audiences would'nt let him. They preferred to hear sleepwalking versions of Hound Dog and Teddy Bear, instead of artisticaly better stuff.
What a shame!

But what's done is done. Nothing can be done to change the past...

Br
Kristian

Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:04 pm

I don't like the negative style of asking..... So I'd rather answer to "What's you least favorite FTD release?"....

booing

Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:37 am

if I had been there and Elvis had been as bad as College Park shows us - I think I would have booed a little bit - but I would have been so dissapointed that I proabably couldn't have said anything. I certainly would not of been cheering him.

Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:23 am

Seeing as how I was born 3 years after Elvis died, I'd be in Heaven to have the opportunity to attend the "worst" concert ever, and would've cheered my but off. Just my opinion.

I think that if, instead of Elvis' fans being more critical, if they'd have cheered his newer stuff as much as his older stuff, THAT would have helped. He wouldn't have felt so trapped into doing certain songs on stage, and that would have led him to experiment more, and kept the concert artistic juices flowing.

If you're a performer/entertainer, then you do what you can to make the crowd happy... if they want to hear "Hound Dog" a billion times and don't go for the stuff you'd rather do, you can either do what they want or potentially piss them off (quickly or gradually).by not doing it. Elvis wanted to please so much, he took the safe route. It's a real shame, but I can't say I blame him.

REACTION TO DRAGONHEART

Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:24 pm

This release seems to have created more threads and comments than almost any other FTD release, meaning it must be a very worthy disc to evoke such a response! I am more than happy to revisit a show I never saw, and hear the best ever version of "Steamroller blues", a committed "It's now or never", a rockin' "Johnny B. Goode" and a dynamic "You gave me a mountain". This CD provides me with a ticket to the concert to which I can revisit again and again. Just think what would our collections and listening pleasure be like if these shows were NOT recorded and just went "into the ether"!!! Be grateful. It's more Elvis, which means more superb and pleasureable entertainment.
TONY DOBB

Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:01 pm

Do you all really think Elvis sounds worse on "Dragonheart" than "Tuscon 76"? Nobody ever griped this much about that release! "New Years Eve" is my least favorite FTD, to me its just not "soundboard" quality as was implied when it was announced it was oing to be released. Now don't get me wrong I think "Tuscon" CD is OK but, I just think everyone wants something to gripe about this summer and "Dragonheart" gets to be it. In a more fair comparison compare "Dragonheart" to "In Dreams of Yesterday" and "Dragonheart" wins hands down.
JEFF d
EPFAN

Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:23 pm

From all thse releases, the Tuscon concert is Elvis' worst vocal performance by far. He is in good humour, but his singing is strained, whiny and lacking any real depth. Contrast that to the New Years show later that same year - it could be a different singer.

Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:27 pm

Hey Jeff, you're from USA right.
It's Tucson right?

8)

Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:20 pm

...depends on which printing of the CD you got sam...

PITTSBURGH

Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:54 am

I think the only reason the "New years' eve" Pittsburgh CD didn't get a very good reponse was because we already had the show on CD before. If it had been a brand new release, as it is such an excellent show, it would have been raved about!! And what a bold and brave step by the FTD label to actually commit themselves to an audience recording release; proof that they are dedicated to releasing collectors material.
TONY DOBB

Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:15 pm

My only complaint about "New Years Eve" is the crackleing noise throughout. :(

8)

Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:51 pm

I totally agree Sam. I been on about this in another thread, and hate to whine, but "New Year" cracks and pops like hell, and the same goes for Dragonheart. Here it is mostly only in the left channel, though.
I guess by your logo and the pic of Too Much Monkey Business that you like that release? Well, listen to the opening of Lovin Arms, and you'll truly hear some "monkey business." They've edited the guitarintro to go three times as opposed to the logical and original two times, and in addition it's so sloppily done that you can hear a big crack where the cut has been made. They've even managed to f*** up the rhythm by cutting on the wrong place! For heaven's sake, WHY!?!?

Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:36 pm

Sam, your New Year's Eve FTD has got "crackling" ? (pork crackling ?)....mine hasn't, mine has only got "sizzling sausages" :lol:

Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:05 pm

Ray -

It is well-known in the business that, during the digital transfer process for 'Tucson 76', Dennis Ferrante was busy cooking a fry-up breakfast in the studio kitchen.

Unfortunately, a live mic was nearby and the result was that the CD has this 'sizzling sausage' sound effect in the background.

Dennis weighs 300 lb.

Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:17 pm

Colin B, you seem to be blessed with a sense of humour that can take the technical bloopers (however, the "sizzling" you mention may be due to magnetic deterioration of the original tape, and therefore impossible to correct.)

I think, though, that if Elvis' recordlabel aims to fight the bootleggers the FIRST thing they need to learn is to be at their level technically, because if you get the same show on two cds; an official release and a bootleg, and the bootleg has the better sound the choice is easy which one to buy...

Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:42 am

:D Hey Elvis 112! what happened?? A guy called Patrik Ahlren wrote a decent and balanced review #4 on the Elvis in Norway site!! A review of FTD 'Dragonheart' I might add that I 100% agree with.How could this 'decent review' get published in the light of the previous 3 reviews??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:33 pm

LOL Colin, FVH I wonder what the 'legal' situation is to this situation, bootleger releases a better sound cd from the same source tape as the FTD tape source, bootleg is better & more complete than the FTD, why was the FTD not taken from the bootleg cd (as the same tape source was used by both).....so the question is, is there a legality that prevented/prevents FTD from releasing a copy of that bootleg ?