Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

which box set do you prefer to listen to more than one cd of?

Close Up
40%
Today, Tomorrow and Forever
20%
Platinum
40%

Total votes : 20

Close Up - my comments

Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:32 am

CD1 - neat to hear 50's outtakes but the binaural sound makes them seem less exciting - especially Jailhouse Rock. Also, the first 4 of 5 tracks on this first disc are all ballads - not exactly the way to start the box off with a bang. Like the young and beautiful, treat me nice and Don't Leave me now outtakes best. Overall the first cd leaves one with the impression that there is very little for 50's outtakes left in the vaults.

CD2 - really am tired of GI Blues and Blue Hawaii outtakes - the wild in the country cuts make up for it - this CD is a nice listen but hardly essential.

CD3 - the 1960-1964, 1966-1968 Nashville periods has been covered extensively the last couple of years - but that does not diminish the top drawer quality of some of these cuts - Stand By Me and I Met her Today stand out as does Starting Today. Too bad these sessions are too easily dismissed as his "60's period" - people don't know what they are missing. This CD easily the best of the box.

CD4 - as everyone was screaming for, a complete show from the on-tour filming. Elvis by 1972 was starting to lose interest a bit - and sometimes seemed to be on autopilot-especially on the older material - just listen to the overrated MSG album. You can see why many of these cuts didn't make it into the movie or the record shops at the time - there are several feedback problems throughout. As Elvis would demonstrate later on he puts more into the newer material than the old - standout cuts here are How Great Thou Art, For the Good Times, Funny How Time Slips Away, Never Been To Spain, Trilogy and mountain. he seems to throw away Hound dog, heartbreak, love me tender, all shook up etc... even Suspicious Minds is not given the commitment it deserves. The atmosphere in the audience is electric and the sound superb - but a little bit above average Elvis is better than what happened 1974-1977.

Overall the box is very good, but not essential, I still think Today, Tomorrow and Forever tops it and I still believe that Platinum topped that. Amazing that they have been able to release over 10 boxes of very high quality - don't expect a lot more.

Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:59 pm

Hi,

I'm not really sure...

Note that in your poll the Today box gets no vote at all.
For me, the new Close Up box is much nicer to listen to than the Today box. Don't know the exact reason, but the Today box never did it for me. Considering your poll thus far I'm not alone in this.
The Platinum box was just great, hard to top that one.
But I'm sure there will be a new box next year...

Sonny

Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:14 pm

WOW ForeverElvis!

I couldn't disagree more with your review.
But, I guess you have a right to your opinion.

Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:38 pm

He seems to throw away Hound Dog?? I think Elvis started making it a more interesting song when he gave it the slow, bluesy start from 1971. So what are you talking about?

Sincerely MB280E

Close up

Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:16 am

Brad - thanks - what did you think about it?

Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:18 am

MB280E

i agree that hound dog was more interesting i am not saying that he threw them away every night, just more often than not - the performance at MSG's afternoon 06/10 performance of hound dog outdoes the one from San Antonio by a wide margin - compare the two performances - i think you may see what I mean.

Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:15 am

As far as I am concerned CD1 was worth the admission price of the whole box.

But CD4 was the icing on a rich cake.

Better than "Today" .....Yes.....for some reason I can't define.

Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:35 am

The only reason I bought "Close Up" was the concert disc. After listening several times i feel that it's a good concert, but nothing special and I'm not crazy aboIt the overall mix. As for the rest of set-- I never liked binaural and nothing on this disc changed my mind. Although these sound much better than "Stereo '57". Elvis preferred mono mixes(more punch) and so do I. Discs 2 & 3 each have their moments and are enjoyable but I had a feeling of "been there, heard that" as I listened. Overall I don't regret buying "Close Up"-- it's pleasant listening but hardly essential(IMO).
I prefer "Today, Tomorrow and Forever".

Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:56 am

Elvis prefered Mono?? Where do we get this from? Because in his hey day it was the norm. Is it documented anywhere that Elvis prefered Mono?

just curious.

8)

BOXED SETS

Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:22 am

I find it very hard to choose between the different boxed sets.
I use them as a source to make my own session CD's.
I play the entire collections through one time, and then make my selections as I like them to be placed on my CDR's.
But, one of my earliest favourite LP's was the one with the HOLLYWOOD outtakes in the silver box set. That one was played a lot, back then.
Now I find it more fun to make session CD's. To me more joyfull listening.

Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:42 am

Platinum - fantastic, simply because it was the first. It blew me away when it came out.

TT&F - was hoping for more of the same as "Platinum", ..... was not disappointed.

Close-Up - very much in keeping with the spirit of TT&F. A gem of a release. Still taking it in. Disc #1, to my ears, is like hearing some of these songs again for the first time. Discs #2 - #3, plenty of examples of Elvis' incredible voice ........... reminds me of why I am fan all over again. Disc #4, my favorite; I shall never ever listen to the boot of this concert again - the sound is incredible - 1972 Elvis is one of my favorites.

To my non-audiophile ears :wink: , the sound on Close-Up is OUTSTANDING. No complaints, whatsoever.

N8
... just a fan ....

Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:47 am

We should all be "just a fan". here here N8, nice post.

Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:50 am

Hi Sam,

My comment about mono mixes wasn't related directly to the '50s songs but comes from a discussion I read in one of the many Elvis books about the '68 special. Elvis insisted that RCA include the mono mixes of "Memories" and "If I Can Dream' on ths soundtrack album because he thought the mono mixes had more "punch". I'm working from memory here so I may not have the wording exactly right, but that's the gist of it.

Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:54 am

Thanks for that info Jerry, I never knew that.

8)

Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:04 pm

Jerry -

You're right about the two '68 Special songs.

The original US album was a mixture of stereo & mono tracks.

For some strange reason, it was all mono in the UK !

I only found this out quite recently, when I had a disagreement on here with a US poster about whether there were stereo tracks on it or not.

Turns out we were both right !

Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:07 pm

Close Up has the best sound EVER on any Elvis recording, including ELV1S 30 #1s, in my opinion!

So I don't get it if anyone complaints about the sound on this box-set!
But then again, each has his own taste...

Br
Kristian