Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Undubbed Masters Official Release

Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:38 am

How many of you would like to see a regular BMG, or FTD release devoted to the undubbed master takes of some choice numbers that, though excellent or very good, were diminished by the overdubbing of strings, horns, backing vocals, etc.?

It's great to hear all the many alternates of such songs without the superfluous layers of commercial gloss, but since these are alternates we are typically not hearing E & the band's BEST takes of them in their purest form, which seems a shame.

Of course the song selection would have to be VASTLY superior to the Our Memories of Elvis. If those were anybody's primary memories of Elvis' music they must not have been paying attention!

We've had a few masters officially released without dubbing, It's Now Or Never and Clean Up Your Own Backyard come to mind, and maybe a jam or two on the 70's box released unedited and possibly without dubs, but I think this would make a terrific release that would allow some gems to shine like never before.

Anybody have a way to pass the suggestion on to Ernst? Any favorites you'd like to hear sans dubs?

Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:00 am

I think that a complete collection of undubbed versions would be the best idea, putting them out 1 or 2 CD sets covering the years as they go, maybe not chronologically but somewhat so. On the back of each CD, an explanation of what "undubbed" means, and then the tracklisting. Or possibly have a 2-CD set with just the 50's and 60's undubbed masters with an advance ad for a 5 CD or so box with all the 70s undubbeds.

Or have a box set of the best undubbed versions and then fill cover the rest of the undubbed songs with FTD CDs

It's kinda dreaming, I know, but it just might be recieved pretty well.

Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:44 am

It would be good for FTD to release these undubbed masters. Maybe that's there future box set. But I didn't mind "Our Memories" although I admit some better material is available. :D

8)

Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:41 am

I would buy an FTD box set of all 70's songs undubbed. "Pure Elvis" might be a good title. The masters sound so 'different' undubbed. It would be great to hear these in brilliant sound quality.

RKS

Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:09 am

Yes I want to have regular release or FTD
rather this than soundtracks FTD

Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:22 am

Hi y'all!

I would welcome undubbed masters, no doubt about that!

As mentioned here, several of the 70s songs were more or less "destroyed" by heavy overdub when they were released.
It's sometimes hard to even hear Elvis' singing, due to all the horns!

Our Memories of Elvis was a good idea back then.
If Ernst & co decides to do an upgrade of these albums (of course with several bonus tracks!) and release them on FTD, I would be thrilled!

The material from the 50s and 60s obviously hasn't the same need for this. Only the American Studio stuff from 69 has this "overdub extravaganza" problem at times.

Br
Kristian

Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:27 pm

Kristian -

I too like hearing the way the songs sounded in the studio.

But let's not forget that Elvis didn't intend for us to hear them that way !

He recorded them with later overdubbing in mind, listened to the overdubbed versions & approved them or rejected them !

It wasn't as if he didn't have input at the overdub stage.

Felton Jarvis is on record saying that sometimes Elvis demanded more overdubbing than was really necessary !

UNdubbed YES, Memories of Elvis NO!

Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:30 pm

I'd love to see the genuine undubbed masters released! A lot of the 70's material was ruined by too many overdubs, and would sound much fresher and more contempory in their basic form. The Next Step Is Love, the 70 Version of Love Letters, How the Web Was Woven all spring to mind as songs that would sound wonderful undubbed.

BUT...

I thought the "Our Memories of Elvis" records were awful, apart from the full version of Don't Think Twice, because they weren't undubbed masters, they actually had thinks like backing singers who were present at the recording faded down in the mix, which is totally different to an undubbed master, and left, in my opinion, songs that sounded a little empty, and you could still hear things that had been faded down if you listened hard enough, so I wouldn't part with my cash for upgrades of these albums.

Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:39 pm

DarrylMac -

You are right about 'Our Memories of Elvis' !

These original albums were the brain-child of Vernon & the Colonel !

Two people who didn't have any great appreciation or understanding of Elvis' music !

The songs are stripped back so far you can hear things you don't want to !