sam
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by sam »

Yes JerryNodak, Well said!!!

8)

Thomas
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

Post by Thomas »

carolynlm wrote:Does it seem to you, reading this original quote, that the writer is unaware of the FTD label?
Hm ... I have made the experience that, especially in the US, many fan clubs still do not know about the FTD label. But basically this fan is right.

Melanie
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by Melanie »

If the author is fed up to be a fan I would gladly take his place. That is if I wasn't already a fan of Elvis! I wouldn't even leave the ship if it was sinking. Maybe I see it from another POV, only having been a four years. But to me the ups far outweigh the downs and I believe I have almost seen it all.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by midnightx »

Make it widely available to everyone. Let the sh*t hit the fan. Let the scandal mongers have a field day. They already do anyway. Then the storm will pass. The media will get bored with what will now be a very old and boring story. This last chapter of Elvis' career will finally be put to bed because it's finally all out in the open. It's no longer the dirty little not-so-well-kept secret.

Until EPE fully acknowledges this part of Elvis' past we fans and especially
the media are never going too be able to totally move past it. We need to have a full and frank airing of this and then move on talking about what made Elvis the great entertainer he was, and stop dwelling on his human failings
Jerry, the only flaw with your argument is that EPE's main concern is probably not the scandal mongers. It is the general consumer, the first time buyer who isn't a big fan and isn't sure what they are purchasing. If they pick up the Aloha or 68 Comeback DVD, they will be watching Elvis in all his brilliance. It will be an appealing image and sound and will most likely inspire the consumer to purchase more Elvis product. If that consumer picks out EIC without knowing what they are doing and that is their first real introduction to Elvis, they will have the wrong impression and may very well be turned off from exploring Elvis further. EIC is not for the general consumer and the first time buyer. That is how EPE is protecting Elvis' image and reputation. Fans know the history of EIC and can put it into perspective. The general public cannot do the same.

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

midnightx: I take your point, but I think it's more important to get this whole chapter out in the open and done with then to worry about some "newbie" accidentally picking it up and coming away with the "wrong" impression.

The "newbies" I've encountered already are aware at least to some degree about this chapter of Elvis' life. They/we don't live in a vacuum.

EPE will just use this as an another "excuse" to hide behind.

Attention EPE: Get this footage out there. Make it available to everyone.
Ater the storm (which will be of short duration) will come the calm. The media will get bored with the whole thing and life WILL go on. Elvis' legacy and EPE's multi-million dollar empire Will survive the firestorm.

Getlo

Post by Getlo »

Elvis footage from the CBS tapes shows him looking far better than the February Hollywood pictures that the press often use to illustrate his decline.

I'm with Jerry on this one. Just about everybody in the public are well aware how Elvis looked and behaved in 1977.

Whenever the subject of EIC comes up there are many people who want to see an official release.

Getlo

ronnyg

Post by ronnyg »

The reason the same songs get released is that Elvis died 29 years ago and is no longer recording. You can still get the Elvis In Concert CD as it is still in stock in stores. The last batch of FTD discs were good, if you need something to celebrate his death.

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

It wont be released because not enough people will buy it. note "people" and not "fans".

Elvis By The Presleys was just about good enough to turn a profit, the 68 Special made a lot of profit.

Most people on the planet are aware or know that Elvis was in bad shape - but they forget that unless they are reminded. A DVD release of EIC would remind them.
I know of how bad things were in the war for the Jews, but i dont remind myself of that everyday but I'm reminded if i watch Schindlers List for example.
Not that Hitler needs a PR person, but Elvis did need one after the 80's and he got some good PR to improve his image and to make people think of another image other than the tabloid Feb 77 shots. The press hardly use those images now in comparison - but maybe they would do so again if it was used to showcase the release of the EIC DVD.

We don't need to implant the sick Elvis image back to the forefront of peoples minds, we've spent 20 years getting rid of it.
If you're a fan and you want to see the EIC footage go grab an import DVD of it.

Otherwise just wait 20 years whilst they drip feed the majority of it out on other Elvis releases making sure that the clip is wedged between some good image releated stuff so as to damage limit any negative fall out.

As for an FTD type release direct to the fans - it wont happen due to the cost. Not enough revenue will be forthcoming. Just ask Ernst.

Unless.......well, I suppose if we as fans agreed to pay $100 each up front to reserve a copy and after a few months / years when there was sufficient funds gathered via this method to release it then those that paid get to have a copy. But it would have to be on the basis of a no refund policy. You have to wait and if not enough people did it then you lose your money or you get a credit note to spend on FTD's maybe. Hey Ernst....what about that then ? You wanna see if Lisa is hard up for a few bucks and might be interested ? After all she only got $85M off Sillerman the other year and she might be in need of the cash now.

to all the fans who have an opinion on one side of the other:

So far those that think it shouldn't be released seem to be correct as far as sharing the same view as those that own it go. :wink:

deadringer
Registered for: 18 years 8 months

Elvis By The Presleys

Post by deadringer »

Elvis By The Presleys made profit but it was a piece of - you know what I mean. Good for non fans or casual buyer, to intriduce them into the "Elvis World". But it is a selfcelebration of two brainwashed scientologists Priscilla and Lisa plus some marginal members of their family, mostly incomplete songs, incomplete footage interrupted by coments of this so called "family". btw, was it really the family - after the divorce?

>>> Most people on the planet are aware or know that Elvis was in bad shape - but they forget that unless they are reminded.

- but EPE released footage from IEC several times. Does it matter if 6 minutes is used or 60 minutes ??? EPE used these footage for THIS IS ELVIS, for THE GREAT PERFORMANCES and there are other licenced products, DVDs, TV shows where every fan or non fan can see clips from EIC, clips of fat, sweaty Elvis.

>>> A DVD release of EIC would remind them.

- and what will happen? What so positive did EPE for Elvis image ??? NOTHING. They are selling various crap in their stores and via fanclubs and internet. All these Elvis ducks, wackel Elvises, Elvis Teddy Bears, magnets. Elvis wines, Elvis toilette papers... this is damaging his image much more, along with all these 2 x as Elvis obese impersonators singing by their nose instead of mouth. And EPE allow this too.

>>> but I'm reminded if i watch Schindlers List for example.

- not a true story, btw.

>>> Not that Hitler needs a PR person

- he had Dr. Joseph Goebbels as a prime PR master :-).

>>> but Elvis did need one after the 80's and he got some good PR to improve his image

- still, WHAT EPE improved? Elvis best PR was BMG, Ernst Jorgensen and some independent writers, Guralnick, Hopkins, Skar... but not EPE. EPE is a company. If they try to improve the image, and this is of course not so true, they are doing this for money, to increase the sales. Young Elvis photo on the cover of 70s compilation CD will sell it better than photo of Elvis in 77. And so on.

>>> The press hardly use those images now in comparison

- I have seen a lot of these bad images 12.02.77 in last 5 years in press, one of them also in Cambridge English book, believe me or not.

>>> We don't need to implant the sick Elvis image back to the forefront of peoples minds, we've spent 20 years getting rid of it

- plural majestaticus ??? We... Royal highness ;-)

>>> if you're a fan and you want to see the EIC footage go grab an import DVD of it.

- it is extremely bad quality and it makes Elvis look even worse. The colors are washed out, all is yellow and blurry, there are cuts in 21.06.77 show etc... I have seen Rapid City and Omaha uncut shows in almost TV quality and it was different view. But to your info, when the CBS tapes were released, the person behind it DEGRADED the quality by copy to copy to copy process. He did it by purpose "because I am not so stupid to share the perfect quality". It was producers explanation.

Elvis is dead almost 30 years and the IEIC stuff is good enough for release.

>>> As for an FTD type release direct to the fans - it wont happen due to the cost. Not enough revenue will be forthcoming. Just ask Ernst.

- in the basic form it is not so expensive, but of course it depends on the degree of quality that you want to achieve. If someone will take care of editing of both shows using all existing camera angles etc it will be an expensive project... sure.

>>> You wanna see if Lisa is hard up for a few bucks and might be interested ?

- seems these moneymakers will be always interested if they will be sure the PRODUCT will sell :-)

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Those that refuse or cant tell the difference between past and present text and not going to be able to have the reasons for a lack of release thus far explained to them in a manner in which they will understand.

However, at least if they are right we will see a release sometime very soon. If they are wrong we wont. Time will tell I guess.

deadringer
Registered for: 18 years 8 months

Again

Post by deadringer »

>>>it wont be released because not enough people will buy it. note "people" and not "fans".<<<

- I think that this describe the situation well. If also well promoted TTWII SE was flop...