More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Ton Bruins
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Fed Up Elvis Fan

Post by Ton Bruins »

Fed Up Elvis FanBy Keriaboo, Aug 5, 2006
I thought I was a real Elvis Fan but maybe I'm not. I had listened to his music for over 30 years (can still remember his death on News At Ten!) and bought all kinds of records watched all the films but today I feel totally down hearted. As the 30 year anniversary approaches I see no sign of any CD or DVD release to inspire me.

The latest BMG releases of "Live", "Movies" and "R&B" are uninspired, rehashed trash with no thought or brain power put in to their release. Where is the inspiration here? Have we not waited so long for a Remix CD? Where is it? Must we be subjected to the same songs repackaged again and again and again? Is the Colonel still in charge here? I long to have a CD of top producers and DJs (Fat Boy Slim anyone?) giving Elvis a fresh, modern perspective. It has been done twice - highly successfully with Conversation and Rubberneckin' and there are dozens of little known songs out there that much of the public haven't heard. The purists will say to leave it alone but I am totally bored with the 473rd release of Suspicious Minds. The January CD release of the Heartbreak Hotel single was a disaster and he didn't even scratch the UK charts - take the hint BMG. I want Elvis out there to a mass audience - not just the pure hardcore fans.

And what about the long argument regarding On Tour and Elvis In Concert, only available in bootlegs. There is so many hours of On Tour that has never been released when are we getting a new version - like we did with That's The Way It Is?

I also have DVD copy of the full two shows for the CBS Elvis In Concert show, as well as the actual one that was shown. Some of the footage here is outstanding and I was amazed at the performance of some of the songs, most of which is hidden away as we would not be able to cope with the sight of a fat Elvis! What, can overweight people not sing? Barry White?, Pavarotti? Mario Lanza? did they struggle? Fact - Elvis was overweight near the end of his life, fact - Elvis in Concert is actually very good do not believe the negative publicity, these are really great shows and deserve the same full DVD treatment as 68 Special and Aloha.

So let's try and get Elvis back on track here. For next year get the CD remix album out, A new On Tour DVD Deluxe set and a full remastered Elvis In Concert DVD with full out takes and start treating loyal fans with respect and not insult us with boring, unimaginative rehashes of the same stuff.

Sourse: http://www.elvisnews.com

Interesting article.....

Joe Car
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Joe Car »

I read this article a couple of days ago and the gentleman makes some valid points. Thanks for the post Ton on which should be a very interesting thread!

Topic author
Ton Bruins

Post by Ton Bruins »

Yes, Joe it should make us fans think about the near "Elvis" future. It's a very good article which I agree with on many points, all though I am not a big fan of re-mixes.

Kylan

Post by Kylan »

so he's bitching about the current compilations that sell to the masses, and wants remixes and tired of the 400th same ole version of Suspicious Minds, well hmm.. Elvis died in 1977 so there's not much you can do there. Have to face it or like someone else i suppose. He's not making any new music. He also wants On Tour and In Concert released... yeah real interesting............

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :roll:

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

I also have DVD copy of the full two shows for the CBS Elvis In Concert show, as well as the actual one that was shown. Some of the footage here is outstanding and I was amazed at the performance of some of the songs, most of which is hidden away as we would not be able to cope with the sight of a fat Elvis! What, can overweight people not sing? Barry White?, Pavarotti? Mario Lanza? did they struggle? Fact - Elvis was overweight near the end of his life, fact - Elvis in Concert is actually very good do not believe the negative publicity, these are really great shows and deserve the same full DVD treatment as 68 Special and Aloha.
Elvis In Concert is not "outstanding" in any form. It isn't simply an issue of Elvis being overweight that keeps this footage locked away in the vault. There are many more obvious and sad issues at hand and any objective Elvis fan knows what they are. This Keriaboo fan is nuts.

Kylan

Post by Kylan »

midnightx wrote:
Elvis In Concert is not "outstanding" in any form. It isn't simply an issue of Elvis being overweight that keeps this footage locked away in the vault. There are many more obvious and sad issues at hand and any objective Elvis fan knows what they are. This Keriaboo fan is nuts.
exactly.

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

That's the bit I don't get. This fan claims to have the two shows on DVD and also the broadcast version.

Yet they want them let out into the rest of the world.

What is the agenda of this fan ?

Are they fed up not having the material or have they got it and want the rest of the world to see it ?

8000 days - what else is Elvis supposed to have made in that time ?

I'm pretty sure that as fans we have more than any other artist has given their respective fans for the same amount of time.

So with the most from the most we are fed up.
Elvis, you spoiled us too much.

Getlo

Post by Getlo »

An Elvis ON Tour remaster and re-edit is well overdue. Funny thing is I still love to hear Suspicious Minds, I find it to be a real classic recording, no remixes needed. The sales of That's The Way It Is special editing didn't do too well. As MGM own the rights to TTWII and Elvis On Tour it is unlikely they will be pushing for a remake of that.

Elvis In Concert should certainly be released for the fans. The original special left out many a great performance. Although, I don't think it should be aimed at mainstream audiences. The fans deserve to watch it in a crystal clear remastered format. There is no doubt Elvis sang some superb renditions and I enjoy them - but sadly he was heavily medicated and the public wouldn't see beyond that. Elvis himself says, "I can sing, but I can't speak". I still see some of the magic in the 1977 footage, and some of the songs are performed brilliantly. It's sad out of the three tv specials we only have two of them. A fan-only release would make a tidy profit for EPE and also make a lot of fans very happy. [/i]

Getlo

Topic author
Ton Bruins

Post by Ton Bruins »

Why are people on this board always call other people nuts just when they have another opinion. I really can't understand that.

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Perhaps some fans are so nuts that they fail to give an opinion in a form that can be recognised as one.

Stating "facts" and then trying to say they are just an opinion is not helping anyone to understand their point of view at all.

Hope you are able to understand things a little better now. :wink:

Shaky

Some valid points

Post by Shaky »

I think a new remix is a valid point, i'm not the biggest fan of tampering BUT I must confess ALLC did put Elvis back in the media spotlight and I hear this song more than any 'Elvis classic' on the radio these days!

As for the old chesnut of TTWII and On Tour : it's obvious to everyone who has to put up with inferior copies via ebay that some of this footage is TOO good to sit on the shelf any longer. I would like to see this footage worked together into a new film or Anthology project. The Beatles 5 DVD Box set is a set to be proud of, can't we have one please :?:

buddy holly
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Re: Fed Up Elvis Fan

Post by buddy holly »

Ton Bruins wrote:Fed Up Elvis FanBy Keriaboo, Aug 5, 2006
As the 30 year anniversary approaches I see no sign of any CD or DVD release to inspire me.
Don´t agree at all. FTD has brought and will continue to bring some inspiring Cd´s. Elvis Presley was a wonderful release just like Elvis Is Back. I´m looking forward to the FTD Sun project. Elvis At Sun was a real good release. How much releases do you want?

Where the DVD´s are concerned, EIC and On our are available to the fans. Keriaboo knwos about this too. For the casual fan these are not essential. Aloha, TTWII and Come Back special are all better and serves the casual fan well. We have the Ed Sullivan set coming.

Maybe fans like Keriaboo need some perspective. Look at the Buddy Holly releases for comparison. Not even all the albums are released on Cd (Buddy Holly Story Vol. 2 only in Japan) so not all the masters are available. Don´t even get me started on those alternates that are never released (not even on bootleg). Elvis fans are very very very spoiled!!!

Bring joy, avoid misery and be grateful

tcb4
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

re

Post by tcb4 »

IMO the best reason why elvis in concert should be released is for the history 8) everybody deserves the right to make its own opinion about it.

Post by Guest »

Disagree as well. At present, we are witnessing the Golden Age of FTD. ("Imagine, back in 2006, 12 new FTDs a year, amongst them the famous Deluxe versions, yes, you could just go and buy them regularly, at the price of 1 CD. Don't believe me?"). Why bother about the 57th Greatest Hits? Compilations are fine, inasmuch they are the financial basis for Ernst's hobby. Concert DVDs: they are ok, entertaining to watch, but, as Elvis said: "if the songs don't go over, we do a medley of costumes". The music remains essential.

thenexte

Post by thenexte »

Ton Bruins wrote:The latest BMG releases of "Live", "Movies" and "R&B" are uninspired, rehashed trash with no thought or brain power put in to their release. Where is the inspiration here?
The lastest BMG releases are simply outstanding, there is no other word for it! Some fans apparently haven't gotten the message yet that the FTD label was created to serve the collectors market and BMG Heritage is speerheading general compilation releases geared towards the mainstream. Why Elvis collectors would mistake the latter releases as geared towards them is beyond me. What's so hard to understand in the way BMG has split up their release strategy? Years ago people used to complain when BMG added a couple of unreleased tracks to compilations, now they've drawn a clear line and given you a choice and you are still complaining? FTD is giving you 12 new releases every year (that's one per month), and that's not enough for you? Did you ever live through the 80's and remember how things were back then? Man, just get over it, you are shooting for the stars! Be glad of what you have and look at where we have come from, it's been a long way. A little perspective is definitely in order here.

thenexte

Post by thenexte »

buddy holly wrote:Maybe fans like Keriaboo need some perspective. Look at the Buddy Holly releases for comparison. Not even all the albums are released on Cd (Buddy Holly Story Vol. 2 only in Japan) so not all the masters are available. Don´t even get me started on those alternates that are never released (not even on bootleg). Elvis fans are very very very spoiled!!!
With respect to Buddy Holly it is my understanding that the masters are actually available, but tangled up in a legal battle betwen record labels and copyright holders (and some of the material has even found its way out of the vaults into the hands of private collectors). That's the sole reason we've never seen a comprehensive Buddy Holly box set to date (and probably never will). Luckily, Elvis didn't have that problem...

http://www.houstonpress.com/issues/1996-12-19/music2.html

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Regarding EIC: I watched the original broadcast on CBS in '77. It was very painful to watch then and I personally don't want to watch it ever again. Although of course parts of it keep showing up from time to time on various projects.

I do however, wish that the EIC album would be revamped/upgraded by Sony/BMG/FTD. No, it's not Elvis always it his best, BUT there still are some fine preformances. I'll take the good with the bad so to speak.

Elvisman77
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by Elvisman77 »

I had a good laugh over this thread. Ok everybody has their point of view. However let us say that there was no more Elvis material left to issue out. So is this fan saying that he will no longer like Elvis?
I am happy playing the same stuff I have played for the last 20 years. However there is another Elvis site where the Man in charge is uploading Elvis concerts and others Elvis goodies.
The fact is that one day there will be no more Elvis material left to issue out to the fans. Elvis isnt Alive eaither. So therefore all one can do is enjoy what Elvis left us.

There is alot of crappy music out there these days. Its a good thing that Elvis still out there in our memories

sam

Post by sam »

JerryNodak wrote: I do however, wish that the EIC album would be revamped/upgraded by Sony/BMG/FTD. No, it's not Elvis always it his best, BUT there still are some fine preformances. I'll take the good with the bad so to speak.
I would with the DVD as well. Take the good with the bad.
I mean it was the same show. We can listen to it, but not allowed to see it.
Why not ban the audio as well?
I enjoy the version I have when I put it on. It would be nice to have it in great quality.
There's a mixture of emotions when I watch it, but in the end I'd like it in perfect quality.
Just my thoughts on it!!

8)

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

EOT is certainly a worthwhile documentary and there is no artistic reason for it not be available to the public. Hopefully the studio finds some sort of way to financially make it a viable option for a reissue.

EIC, does not need a mass-release. If EPE is still working with Ernst on an extensive prolific DVD project that is supposed to contain hours of footage, then a few of the quality moments from the EIC footage may find a home. Otherwise, don't plan on Lisa Marie allowing EIC to see the light of day. FTD may very well release the Rapid City show as an audio release at some point.

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Sam: I take your point, amd I agree with it. It should be avaliable for those who want it.

EPE constant argument that they're protecting Elvis legacy or whatever is poopycock!! EIC or portions therof has been available forever. It's out there. It's no secret. Anyone who wants to use it for whatever purpose can find it. Certainly the media. Including the scandal mongers.

Make it widely available to everyone. Let the sh*t hit the fan. Let the scandal mongers have a field day. They already do anyway. Then the storm will pass. The media will get bored with what will now be a very old and boring story. This last chapter of Elvis' career will finally be put to bed because it's finally all out in the open. It's no longer the dirty little not-so-well-kept secret.

Until EPE fully acknowledges this part of Elvis' past we fans and especially
the media are never going too be able to totally move past it. We need to have a full and frank airing of this and then move on talking about what made Elvis the great entertainer he was, and stop dwelling on his human failings.

Those are my feelings.

944cabby
Registered for: 18 years 8 months

Post by 944cabby »

When i was a young elvis fan in the late '70's and early '80's i can remember getting well excited about the EAP box,sound of your cry and Leg performer vol 3 and 4 releases - having to wait months and months for anything interesting with alternates or a "new" track on.These days we've got plenty to choose from every three or four months.Ok elvis isn't around to release new material but we've never had as much choice as we've got now.
I've got no issues buying compilations - the "love" album for example has great sound with good mixes.
bmg/ftd are doing a good job in my opinion.

healy
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by healy »

thenexte wrote:
Ton Bruins wrote:The latest BMG releases of "Live", "Movies" and "R&B" are uninspired, rehashed trash with no thought or brain power put in to their release. Where is the inspiration here?
The lastest BMG releases are simply outstanding, there is no other word for it! Some fans apparently haven't gotten the message yet that the FTD label was created to serve the collectors market and BMG Heritage is speerheading general compilation releases geared towards the mainstream. Why Elvis collectors would mistake the latter releases as geared towards them is beyond me. What's so hard to understand in the way BMG has split up their release strategy? Years ago people used to complain when BMG added a couple of unreleased tracks to compilations, now they've drawn a clear line and given you a choice and you are still complaining? FTD is giving you 12 new releases every year (that's one per month), and that's not enough for you? Did you ever live through the 80's and remember how things were back then? Man, just get over it, you are shooting for the stars! Be glad of what you have and look at where we have come from, it's been a long way. A little perspective is definitely in order here.
That says it all! Best post of the month.

jake
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by jake »

Carolyn..............What does FTD mean? :oops:

Topic author
Ton Bruins

Post by Ton Bruins »

JerryNodak wrote:Sam: I take your point, amd I agree with it. It should be avaliable for those who want it.

EPE constant argument that they're protecting Elvis legacy or whatever is poopycock!! EIC or portions therof has been available forever. It's out there. It's no secret. Anyone who wants to use it for whatever purpose can find it. Certainly the media. Including the scandal mongers.

Make it widely available to everyone. Let the sh*t hit the fan. Let the scandal mongers have a field day. They already do anyway. Then the storm will pass. The media will get bored with what will now be a very old and boring story. This last chapter of Elvis' career will finally be put to bed because it's finally all out in the open. It's no longer the dirty little not-so-well-kept secret.

Until EPE fully acknowledges this part of Elvis' past we fans and especially
the media are never going too be able to totally move past it. We need to have a full and frank airing of this and then move on talking about what made Elvis the great entertainer he was, and stop dwelling on his human failings.

Those are my feelings.

Agree 100% ! Well said.