Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
LesterB
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

REX MARTIN - St. Louis,March,22nd 1976

Post by LesterB »

I have this footage on an old VIDEO - I believe it is a 2nd possibly 3rd generation copy.

An English fan called Rex Martin fimed this - it is widely available on the import DVD scene. Does anyone know if his original film has been transferred to DVD?

It has original matching sound but plays a little slow.

Thanks
Lester

JUST FOR TODAY

TONY
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

rex

Post by TONY »

The question IS; just WHERE is Rex Martin these days and what happened to his vast collection?! I remember going to a film show organised by him in London in 1978 and there was some blinding concert footage shown on a big screen that day. His "news service weekly" was the firtst place that I knew of to offer cassettes of Elvis' concerts for sale. For £4, I sent off for the Niagra Falls '74 show, was blown away and havn't looked back since. And this was in 1976!!

ChrisG
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by ChrisG »

The St.Louis '76 like the Indianapolis has never been put on DVD from Rex Martin's original film, and more to the point never will be. I believe these were offered to fans many years ago on Video but before they were even sent out certain quarters were offering copies of a copy that they was made from Rex's original, it's enough to give you the bird (if you get my drift)!!. People who bought it from those wannabees unfortunately only got a copy of a copy & we all know how video's deteirorated on copy down's. Everyone wants to get copies as close to source as possible, but in today's age of the of people who copy & circulate material certain materials I feel very sure this will never see the light of day again. Same old story where the minority spoil it for the majority.
Last edited by ChrisG on Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: rex

Post by Guest »

TONY wrote:The question IS; just WHERE is Rex Martin these days and what happened to his vast collection?!
Rex was doing very well the last time we spoke to him, & his collection, weeellllll ........some private collectors just keep what they have aquired nowadays & just enjoy this material, lessons learnt in the past are never forgotten.

Topic author
LesterB
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by LesterB »

Chris check your PM and shop email

Lester

JUST FOR TODAY

TONY

lester

Post by TONY »

Lester; see your picture on the Capital Elvis website!!! Lovely!!

dl
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by dl »

I am one of those who have the copy of the copy of that film. It's pretty nice footage. To see the first generation film would be great, I guess.

archdeak

Post by archdeak »

Hello Rex Martin !!!.You must read these messages, how you doing these days???

We had a few laughs in the past at Cheltenham..rememebr the day all of those Elvis books and all that Elvis gear you had in your flat fell on you and you were trapped underneath it all?? Wow, your place ws an alladins cave then..the first person to have Aloha on video, your adventures of smuggling a camera into the Hilton to film Elvis..you were a loveable ol' rogue, still you made a lot of us happy in those days..l
We go back to 195/1976 for that day..those were the days with Diane & Ray Fellows at Gloucester.
Best Wishes to you,

Chris Deakin.

nigel
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by nigel »

As an avid reader of and occasional contributor to Rex's excellent Worldwide Weekly Elvis News Service, I fondly remember looking forward to each issue. I can understand Rex wanting to take a low profile these days. However if he's reading this, EIN would love to do an interview on his heady days in the Elvis world!

Nigel
EIN
http://www.elvisinfonet.com

Re: lester

Post by Guest »

Lester: Ditto

TONY: Website?

Steve Morse
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by Steve Morse »

I was a regular at Rex's film shows at Cheltenham in the early-to-mid 1970s, helped out on his stalls, and stopped over with him a couple of times in his Garden Flat.

Infuriatingly, he left a 10-word bland message in the guestbook on my website about a year ago, but gave no e-mail address. Come on, Rex, you were a pioneer. Let us know what you're up to these days.

Steve Morse

"Won't you sing me away to a summer night - let me hold her in my arms again"

Joe Lightcloud
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by Joe Lightcloud »

Rex used to have his own Elvis shop in Blackpool back in the 80's and I used to visit it on a regular basis back then. It used to be great and he stocked most all of the LP's, videos, posters that were available at the time. Rare Elvis music used to be blasting out of the front of the shop and it was really an Elvis fans dream.

He also used to come across to Leeds and show some of his legendary films on the big screen at the conventions. The first time I saw the 68 Special outtakes were at Leeds with Rex.

It's said Rex saw and recorded Elvis live in Concert 66 times through the seventies, and I had the pleasure of watching a lot of these on film.

The last time I saw Rex was about 9-10 year ago and he was running a t-shirt printing stall in a markethouse just outside Blackpool. He said he still had all his Elvis movies and that he still visited the States regular... but was now following the Country artists over there.

Joe Lightcloud

You never stood in that man's shoes... or saw things through his eyes....
Hank Williams - 1950