Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Paul Oakenfold, RubberNeckin',and Elvis's Next No1 !

Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:49 pm

Hi,

The interest in the next Remix Single is building. I for one have been listening to some of Paul Oakenfolds remix's. I think we are all in for something radically different to what we are being led to expect with the releases we have already heard, such as the 'groove mix' and 2002 mix.

It looks like BMG are going out full stops to get Elvis another No1, and this time they are going by way of Dance music. The track may even get to be included on a furture IBIZA album.

Check out Paul Oakenfold's work....quite outstanding.

Looking forward to the remix......and many more......

Regards.

e.

Sun Jul 13, 2003 7:02 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing another Elvis number one - but the publicity needs to be there to ensure it.

I've heard Paul Okenfold's music and it sounds really good.

Elvis's "Rubberneckin'" is the ideal choice. A great track and little heard of by the public. It's sure to be well received.

Not heard anything about the video though, which needs to feature Elvis this time - surely? :?

Sun Jul 13, 2003 7:19 pm

Without the benefit of the Nike advertising campaign, the success of this track depends largely on whether the dance music radio programmes pick up on the track, and if (in the UK) it is ‘A’ listed for airplay by Radio One. Oakenfold’s involvement, and the fact that this will be promoted as the follow to a No.1 hit single suggests that the song should get the necessary airplay, and give Elvis another hit record.

I seriously doubt though that the clip of Elvis singing “Rubberneckin’” from the “Change of Habit” movie will be used to promote this song. Like “ALLC” RCA/BMG don’t own the rights to the video clip, and I can’t see them paying over the odds to secure it.

Sun Jul 13, 2003 7:23 pm

Are there any specific albums from Paul Oakenfeld or do we have to look for some compilation albums ?I could not locate any P.O. albums in music stores.

I do wish BMG would put out a 20 or 30" teaser as an advt. on a broad mix of channels as it would give everyone an idea of what to expect and also promote the Single/album.However a risk is that some folks may skip the single and wait to get the song on the "2nd to none" album.

Sun Jul 13, 2003 7:36 pm

Has Paul Oakenfold done any own album ?? I only have heard some remixes of other artists made by him

Rubberneckin'

Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:13 am

The most obvious example of Paul Oakenfold's work is the theme tune to the UK's Big Brother show, which is completely invigorating and powerful. I'm not a fan of "dance music" by any means, but I have high hopes for Rubberneckin' in the hands of this guy...

Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:56 am

IN THE LAST FEW WEEKS I HAVE WATCHED THE MESSAGE BOARDS REGARDING THE GROOVE MIX AND HAVE NOW DECIDED TO CLEAR UP ANY OF THE MISCONCEPTIONS REGARDING MY MIX.

The first ever true remix of Rubberneckin was completed on the 4th June 2003. It is the first ever mix without any outside sampling that sounds way different than the original.

On a lot of Elvis websites, they have indicated that because of this new style remixing staying true to the original that it should be considered as an addition track on the CD Single. in the upcoming September release. Below is a note that is available on the Promo CD version.You can dowload the track and see what you think here.

http://www.traffickingelvis.com/rubberneckin

A campaign has started in 25 countires around the world to have this track included.

ELVIS IN-COGNITO

RUBBERNECKIN 2003 (GROOVE MIX)
NOV 2002/MAR/MAY/JUNE 2003
3 MINUTES 26 SECONDS (Final Mix)

Mixed at LMC Sound Studios, Brixton London England

The additional sounds, music and break beats contained within this
CD were made entirely from the original January 1969 outtake
recordings.

There are no added music samples from any source other than those
extracted from the original recordings.

The approach taken for this remix was to stay as true to the original
as possible, extracting the full parameters set by those early
recordings to enhance this new Rubberneckin as a modern day Groove Mix.

SO WHEN COMPARING MY MIX TO OAKENFOLD, THERE IS NO COMPARISION. I COULD HAVE ADDED BONGO'S AND WHIRLING NOISES OR BITS FROM A MADONNA ALBUM, BUT I DECIDED THAT WHEN IT COMES TO THE KINGS WORK, ONLY THE SOUNDS FROM THE ORIGINAL ARE TO BE SAMPLED AND REARRANGED.

THE GUITAR RIFF FOR EXAMPLE IS NEW, BUT THE GUITAR SOUND IS FROM THE ORIGINAL. EVEN THE BREAKBEATS ARE SOUNDS FROM THE ORIGINAL BUT ENHANCED. I BELEIVE THAT IS WHAT MAKES THIS REMIX UNIQUE RATHER THAN GOING DOWN THE SAME OLD ROAD OF ADDING OUTSIDE SAMPLING.

THIS IS THE FIRST REMIX DONE WITHOUT OUTSIDE SAMPLING AND THAT WAS MY VISION FROM THE FIRST PLACE. THERE WAS NO INTENTION OF BEING A JXL OR OAKENFOLD.

I ANNOUNCED I WAS DOING THIS MIX OVER A YEAR AGO LONG BEFORE BMG EVEN HAD A BLUE PRINT FOR IT.

I TOLD MANY FANS AROUND THE WORLD THAT THIS WOULD HAPPEN, ESPECIALLY WHEN I WAS IN MEMPHIS LAST YEAR DURING ELVIS WEEK.

WHAT THEN HAPPENED WAS FANS STARTING CONTACTING BMG OF WHEN WILL IT BE RELEASED. THEY DID NOT KNOW OF THIS.

AFTER 7 MONTHS OF CONTINUOUS CALLS AND EMAILS FROM FANS TO BMG, BMG THOUGHT 'WHY NOT'.

DO NOT THINK OF A SECOND THAT I WAS DOING SOME DIRTY TRICK ON A PROJECT THAT HAS BEEN 18 MONTHS IN THE MAKING. MY STATEMENT EVEN PROMPTED A FAN LAST YEAR WHO DID THAT 5 MINUTE JIVE BUNNY TYPE MIX.

MY IDEA OF RUBBERNECKIN WHICH HAS BEEN A TOTAL OF 18 MONTHS IN THE MAKING WILL NOW GET ELVIS TO THE NO 1 SPOT WITH THE BRITISH CLUB DJ. SO FOR THAT I AM PROUD.

DO I THINK THIS MIX DESERVES A B SIDE? WE ALL KNOW THAT CD SINGLES HAVE AT LEAST 3 OR 4 TRACKS. BUT WITH THIS NO ADDED OUTSIDE SAMPLING, YOU BET I DO! ITS UNIQUE AND A COMPLETLY DIFFERENT VISION TO ALL THE CLUB DJ'S AND THAT PARTICULAR DJ WHO ONLY FIRST HEARD THE TRACK 7 ODD WEEKS AGO.

I HAVE HAD HUNDREDS OF FAN EMAILS IN THE LAST FEW DAYS THANKING ME FOR A REMIX DONE THIS WAY AND SOME WANTING TO KNOW IF I AM GOING TO DO AN ALBUM STILL USING THE METHOD OF ONLY SAMPLING FROM WITHIN THE TRACK.

WELL, I WOULD STILL USE THE SAME IDEA BECAUSE A LOT OF FANS APPRECIATE MIXING DONE IN THIS WAY. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME AN ELVIS REMIX HAS BEEN DONE IN THIS WAY.

ON MY NEXT REMIX, WHICH THIS TIME I WILL KEEP QUIET ABOUT, I WILL CONTINUE TO KEEP IT IN THIS TRADITION.

THE ONLY MIX I HAVE HEARD THAT COMES CLOSE WAS THE BOSSA NOVA BABY EXTENDED MIX DONE MANY YEARS AGO. BUT THAT WAS ONLY A CUT AND EDIT JOB.

I HOPE THAT THIS MESSAGE CLEARS UP A LOT OF THE MISCONCEPTIONS OUT THERE REGARDING THIS MIX.

IF IT DOES END UP AS AN ADDITIONAL TRACK ON THE CD SINGLE THEN I WILL GIVE IT AWAY FOR FREE AS I AM NOT INTERESTED IN TAKIN ANY MONEY FROM THIS.

THIS TRULY IS FOR THE FANS!!

THE REMIX DONE BY MR OAKENFOLD WAS NOT FOR US FANS BUT FOR THE WIDER AUDIENCE. WITH NO DISRESPECT INTENDED TO PAUL OAKENFOLD HE HAD NEVER EVEN HEARD OF THE TRACK UNTIL ONLY 7 WEEKS AGO. IN THE LAST FEW YEARS HIS ALBUMS HAVE LOST SALES AND BECAUSE HE IS ON A LABEL DISTRIBUTED BY BMG, WAS THE REASON HE WAS COMMISSIONED FOR THE JOB.

WHATEVER HAPPENS, I, LIKE SO MANY OTHERS OUT THERE, WILL CONTINUE TO SUPPORT THE RELEASE OF RUBBERNECKIN BY PAUL OAKENFOLD IN SEPTEMBER AS WE ALL WANT TO SEE ELVIS'S 19TH NO1 HERE IN THE UK AND THE TOP SPOT AROUND THE WORLD.

I thank you all for taking the time to read this message and thank the many of you out there that have supported the mix from the countless and continuous emails received over the past 5 weeks.

Hey....I liked your remix

Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:56 pm

Hi traffickingelvis,

I really liked your remix, it was so original what you did with the original tapes. Yes it should be released as a B side of Paul Oakenfolds version, you did a fantastic job and deserve some public recognition for the time spent in the studio doing the mix.

I look forward to your next remix of Let Yourself Go.

Until then I really think Paul Oakenfolds version will be more Dance based with 'Flash' effects and a little surprise here and there.

Once again thanks for the remix.........and keep em coming.

e.

Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:42 pm

Thank you e. Appreciate your comments!

I have not yet decided on the next mix, however the track you mention is in my top 5 and I know that guy whose initials are EJ who lives on the continent wanted that as the next single opposed to Rubberneckin.

Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:05 pm

Thank you e. Appreciate your comments!

I have not yet decided on the next mix, however the track you mention is in my top 5 and I know that guy whose initials are EJ who lives on the continent wanted that as the next single opposed to Rubberneckin.

Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:12 pm

Firstly i'd like to say a big thank you to Traffickin Elvis for his work on Rubberneckin. I must admit i really enjoy it.

It's also kinda refreshing to hear that he didn't do it for financial gain, i would guess it must of cost quite a bit in studio time as well.

Good luck to him in getting some recognition and finding his way onto the official release as hopefully a 'B' side extra version or whatever you want to call it. He should at least get a gold disc from the RIAA as well when the King storms back to No 1 spot.

It's just a real shame BMG are missing the summer market on this venture doh!!!