Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:08 am

IN THE LAST FEW WEEKS I HAVE WATCHED THE MESSAGE BOARDS REGARDING THE GROOVE MIX AND HAVE NOW DECIDED TO CLEAR UP ANY OF THE MISCONCEPTIONS REGARDING MY MIX.

The first ever true remix of Rubberneckin was completed on the 4th June 2003. It is the first ever mix without any outside sampling that sounds way different than the original.

On a lot of Elvis websites, they have indicated that because of this new style remixing staying true to the original that it should be considered as an addition track on the CD Single. in the upcoming September release. Below is a note that is available on the Promo CD version.You can dowload the track and see what you think here.

http://www.traffickingelvis.com/rubberneckin

A campaign has started in 25 countires around the world to have this track included.

ELVIS IN-COGNITO

RUBBERNECKIN 2003 (GROOVE MIX)
NOV 2002/MAR/MAY/JUNE 2003
3 MINUTES 26 SECONDS (Final Mix)

Mixed at LMC Sound Studios, Brixton London England

The additional sounds, music and break beats contained within this
CD were made entirely from the original January 1969 outtake
recordings.

There are no added music samples from any source other than those
extracted from the original recordings.

The approach taken for this remix was to stay as true to the original
as possible, extracting the full parameters set by those early
recordings to enhance this new Rubberneckin as a modern day Groove Mix.

SO WHEN COMPARING MY MIX TO OAKENFOLD, THERE IS NO COMPARISION. I COULD HAVE ADDED BONGO'S AND WHIRLING NOISES OR BITS FROM A MADONNA ALBUM, BUT I DECIDED THAT WHEN IT COMES TO THE KINGS WORK, ONLY THE SOUNDS FROM THE ORIGINAL ARE TO BE SAMPLED AND REARRANGED.

THE GUITAR RIFF FOR EXAMPLE IS NEW, BUT THE GUITAR SOUND IS FROM THE ORIGINAL. EVEN THE BREAKBEATS ARE SOUNDS FROM THE ORIGINAL BUT ENHANCED. I BELEIVE THAT IS WHAT MAKES THIS REMIX UNIQUE RATHER THAN GOING DOWN THE SAME OLD ROAD OF ADDING OUTSIDE SAMPLING.

THIS IS THE FIRST REMIX DONE WITHOUT OUTSIDE SAMPLING AND THAT WAS MY VISION FROM THE FIRST PLACE. THERE WAS NO INTENTION OF BEING A JXL OR OAKENFOLD.

I ANNOUNCED I WAS DOING THIS MIX OVER A YEAR AGO LONG BEFORE BMG EVEN HAD A BLUE PRINT FOR IT.

I TOLD MANY FANS AROUND THE WORLD THAT THIS WOULD HAPPEN, ESPECIALLY WHEN I WAS IN MEMPHIS LAST YEAR DURING ELVIS WEEK.

WHAT THEN HAPPENED WAS FANS STARTING CONTACTING BMG OF WHEN WILL IT BE RELEASED. THEY DID NOT KNOW OF THIS.

AFTER 7 MONTHS OF CONTINUOUS CALLS AND EMAILS FROM FANS TO BMG, BMG THOUGHT 'WHY NOT'.

DO NOT THINK OF A SECOND THAT I WAS DOING SOME DIRTY TRICK ON A PROJECT THAT HAS BEEN 18 MONTHS IN THE MAKING. MY STATEMENT EVEN PROMPTED A FAN LAST YEAR WHO DID THAT 5 MINUTE JIVE BUNNY TYPE MIX.

MY IDEA OF RUBBERNECKIN WHICH HAS BEEN A TOTAL OF 18 MONTHS IN THE MAKING WILL NOW GET ELVIS TO THE NO 1 SPOT WITH THE BRITISH CLUB DJ. SO FOR THAT I AM PROUD.

DO I THINK THIS MIX DESERVES A B SIDE? WE ALL KNOW THAT CD SINGLES HAVE AT LEAST 3 OR 4 TRACKS. BUT WITH THIS NO ADDED OUTSIDE SAMPLING, YOU BET I DO! ITS UNIQUE AND A COMPLETLY DIFFERENT VISION TO ALL THE CLUB DJ'S AND THAT PARTICULAR DJ WHO ONLY FIRST HEARD THE TRACK 7 ODD WEEKS AGO.

I HAVE HAD HUNDREDS OF FAN EMAILS IN THE LAST FEW DAYS THANKING ME FOR A REMIX DONE THIS WAY AND SOME WANTING TO KNOW IF I AM GOING TO DO AN ALBUM STILL USING THE METHOD OF ONLY SAMPLING FROM WITHIN THE TRACK.

WELL, I WOULD STILL USE THE SAME IDEA BECAUSE A LOT OF FANS APPRECIATE MIXING DONE IN THIS WAY. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME AN ELVIS REMIX HAS BEEN DONE IN THIS WAY.

ON MY NEXT REMIX, WHICH THIS TIME I WILL KEEP QUIET ABOUT, I WILL CONTINUE TO KEEP IT IN THIS TRADITION.

THE ONLY MIX I HAVE HEARD THAT COMES CLOSE WAS THE BOSSA NOVA BABY EXTENDED MIX DONE MANY YEARS AGO. BUT THAT WAS ONLY A CUT AND EDIT JOB.

I HOPE THAT THIS MESSAGE CLEARS UP A LOT OF THE MISCONCEPTIONS OUT THERE REGARDING THIS MIX.

IF IT DOES END UP AS AN ADDITIONAL TRACK ON THE CD SINGLE THEN I WILL GIVE IT AWAY FOR FREE AS I AM NOT INTERESTED IN TAKIN ANY MONEY FROM THIS.

THIS TRULY IS FOR THE FANS!!

THE REMIX DONE BY MR OAKENFOLD WAS NOT FOR US FANS BUT FOR THE WIDER AUDIENCE. WITH NO DISRESPECT INTENDED TO PAUL OAKENFOLD HE HAD NEVER EVEN HEARD OF THE TRACK UNTIL ONLY 7 WEEKS AGO. IN THE LAST FEW YEARS HIS ALBUMS HAVE LOST SALES AND BECAUSE HE IS ON A LABEL DISTRIBUTED BY BMG, WAS THE REASON HE WAS COMMISSIONED FOR THE JOB.

WHATEVER HAPPENS, I, LIKE SO MANY OTHERS OUT THERE, WILL CONTINUE TO SUPPORT THE RELEASE OF RUBBERNECKIN BY PAUL OAKENFOLD IN SEPTEMBER AS WE ALL WANT TO SEE ELVIS'S 19TH NO1 HERE IN THE UK AND THE TOP SPOT AROUND THE WORLD.

I thank you all for taking the time to read this message and thank the many of you out there that have supported the mix from the countless and continuous emails received over the past 5 weeks.

Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:21 pm

Ah man, i think that'd be a great idea to get the groove mix as some kinda extra track on the official Elvis/Oakenfold single.

the Traffickin Elvis guy seems to be quite tops in my books in saying that he done it entirely for the fans for no profit whatsoever

Good luck to him & single in all forms .... Elvis for No1 ...................

Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:32 pm

This is like someone saying "I have written a better Harry Potter than JK Rowling and those nasty publishers won't tack it on to the rest of her latest book."

Many of us have had the fun of sitting at our home computers and making new mixes - but we, as you, don't work for RCA. If RCA rejected your tape - that's life.

Get over it :!:

As for RCA using "your" idea to re-mix Rubberneckin' - well no one would suggest they are stupid and not take on what they feel may be a saleable idea.

Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:14 pm

I WOULD BE HAPPY TO SEE RUBERNECKIN 2003 GROOVE MIX AS AN EXTRA TRACK ON THE NEXT SINGLE, IT'S BEEN PROFFESIONALLY REMIXED, IT'S A JOB WELL DONE AND HAS PROVED VERY POPULAR SO FAR ACROSS THE INTERNET WITH SEVERAL SITES NOW PROVIDING A LINK TO DOWNLOAD IT, OTHER ARTIST'S INCLUDE DIFFENT REMIXES BY DIFFERENT REMIXER'S/ PRODUCER'S ON THERE RELEASES AS ADDITIONAL TRACKS SUCH AS MADONNA, KYLIE MANOGUE ETC.

Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:45 pm

Garry100

I couldn't agree more, not too sure i can say the same for KiwiAlan' attitude though.
There is basically a handful of fans who have heard the 'Groove Mix' wouldn't it be great for everyone to have a chance to hear another take/version of remix on this track.
KiwiAlan you're surley no different to anyone else, you wanted to hear the Groove Mix, so you downloaded it-fine. Not everyone has that chance though, if it was added as an extra, it gives everyone the same opportunity, this is the main point
Like Quaility Street - Elvis is made 4 sharing LOL

Just thought i'd end it on a light note :wink:

Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:51 pm

Sure I downloaded it.

But my point is that if we go down this route and insist that RCA release any amatuer mix that comes along the road where will it end.

When I buy a RCA or FTD CD i do not want to be treated to home grown back yard mixes - I want the real thing!

Many of us on this board could produce an equally valid mix.

Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:15 pm

Hmmm, valid points i guess.

I would suggest as we have all only heard mp3 versions, the full CD quality mix would be better quality. But yes i can see where you're coming from KiwiAlan .....

Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:17 pm

Greg -

Judging by the name, I would guess KiwiAlan is coming from New Zealand.

Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:25 pm

ColinB

Just goes to show how good my eyes are my friend :lol:

Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:32 am

Fully agree with Kiwi, qualitiy-wise the Final Groove Remix cannot be considered as a professional remix. However, compared to the (poor) quality of other recently released home made remixes, I must admit that this remix is really one of the better home made efforts.

TRAFFICKING GROOVE MIX

Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:50 pm

I played the "groove mix" at the last "Capital Elvis" disco last month, being the DJ, and it went down quite well. Looking forward to hearing the "Oakenfold" mix.
TONY DOBB

Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:19 am

KiwiAlan wrote:This is like someone saying "I have written a better Harry Potter than JK Rowling and those nasty publishers won't tack it on to the rest of her latest book."

This is a poor analogy. Paul Oakenfold did not write or record "Rubberneckin'", Elvis Presley (the JK Rowling in your analogy) did, Paul Oakenfold merely remixed it.