Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Walk off show

Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:16 pm

Does anyone know the exact date of the notorious "walk off show" where Elvis made some caustic comments to Kathy Westmoreland causing her to get mad and leave? And then 2 of the Sweets left too. I have a really bad sounding tape labeled as being from Norfolk but you can't really make anything out. The West/Hebler book claim it was a different city. Elvis Day by Day also says it was Norfolk. On July 20, 1975. My other question is, is there a really good tape of this floating around?

Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:21 pm

Not sure about the exact date, but didnt they walk off because elvis made a comment about their breath smelling like what they had for dinner that nite? Thought I heard that story somewhere. Then he apologized to them the next night in a totally different city.

Also, i wonder what the crowd reaction to this was. What an embarassment to Elvis up there on stage. It must have been wierd trying to perform without them backing him up.

Sat Jul 12, 2003 4:05 pm

It happend at the Norfolk July 20th 1975 Evening Show. As far as I know only a bad sounding audiance recording is availeble.

Kind regards,
Stefan

Sat Jul 12, 2003 4:47 pm

Elis said that their breath smells like fish i think it was ...

Sat Jul 12, 2003 5:00 pm

It was catfish! And I believe he said something about green pepper and onion, as well... But of course, what caused Kathy to walk off was the sexual comments he made throughout that tour... "she takes affection anywhere she can get it..." , "from the whole band... " etc. I can understand her walking off. I wonder what was wrong with The King that night? Anyway; I have both the afternoon and evening shows from Norfolk, and the sound is awful, but the shows actually seem to be very good... :?

Sat Jul 12, 2003 5:52 pm

So is there a import at alll with this show? WHo has a cdr or this? Are the comments audible?

Sat Jul 12, 2003 7:22 pm

On my tape (which I got about 20 years ago!), the comments are not audible... I didnĀ“t even know this was the notorious "walk-off" show until I read about it a few years ago... How the times have changed; I remember sitting there with headphones, listening to terrible-sounding audience recordings, trying to guess what song Elvis is singing... :wink:

Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:34 pm

The 'Walk-off' show was the 21.7.75 Greensboro show. NO tape exists circulating-yet, but a VERY detailed write up is IN Newspaper reviews published around that time.

Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:22 am

any way to see a copy of these reviews?

Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:37 am

It was Norfolk, VA, on July 20.

There's a newspaper story on this very site:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/ccshowrev29.html