Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Make your own Nashville '71 album

Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:48 pm

I enjoyed reading the "Make your own STAX album for RCA in '74" thread.
This gives me an idea:

When Elvis recorded in Nashville in 1971 (the March, May, and June sessions), it is known that, in addition to recording a Christmas and Gospel album, Elvis had recorded enough material for a secular/pop album.

If you had been Elvis' producer, what songs from the '71 sessions would you have compiled together for an album?

Let's see what all of you can come up with!

Tom (from Ohio)

Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:55 pm

Already done my complete 'Secular 71 Nashvile CD' - all the secular masters plus all officially available alternates and informal recordings fit on one disc - and it's one hell of a disc too let me tell ya !

But I guess you are looking for a 2 sided LP senario ?

1971 LP

Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:38 pm

my 1971 session album concept:

NASHVILLE NIGHTS

(RCA LSP-4???)

Side A

I Shall Be Released (a capella)
It's Only Love
Help Me Make It Through The Night
Until It's Time For You To Go

Side B

I'm Leavin'
We Can Make The Morning
Don't Think Twice It's Alright (3:40 edit)
The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
My Way

Release Date: October 1971

(Camden "I Got Lucky" LP would not exist.)
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

(Frontcover would be a black&white photo of Elvis standing outside the entrance of Studio B, with his foot propped up and leaning against the building.
NASHVILLE NIGHTS would be printed in the upper righthand corner.
The word ELVIS would only be printed on the spine and the back cover, not the front.
The backcover would be an enlarged black&white watermark of an interior photo of Studio B, piano, mikestands, cables on floor, guitar stands, etc)

RCA promotion would include a full-page ad in Billboard for 4 consecutive issues, late Sept - mid October.
Last edited by Graceland Gardener on Sat Jul 12, 2003 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:15 pm

Graceland Gardener,
Does such a photo of Elvis exist or is this a "wish" photo? You describe it so well I thought you may have actually seen this somewhere.

RKS

Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:16 pm

<b>THE OTHER SIDE OF NASHVILLE</b>

<b>side a</b>

(That's What You Get) For Lovin' Me
I'm Leavin'
We Can Make The Morning
Love Me, Love The Life I Lead
My Way

<b>side b</b>
It's Only Love
Help Me Make It Through The Night
Early Morning Rain
Fools Rush In
It's Still Here

Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:36 pm

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:Graceland Gardener,
Does such a photo of Elvis exist or is this a "wish" photo? You describe it so well I thought you may have actually seen this somewhere.

RKS

wish photo. :roll:

It would have to be arranged. "Elvis, here's what we'd like for the cover..."
and get him to go outside and etc

Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:43 am

Hey, where there's a will, there's a computer!

On that note, is there a website which features photos of Elvis which he wasn't actually in? You know, done just for fun, and hopefully in good taste and realistic, etc.

Also, if someone could tell me, I haven't seen this one in a while...which is the site that does all the alternate album covers?

Sorry to get so off-topic here, Tom.

Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:47 am

BobbyTCB wrote:On that note, is there a website which features photos of Elvis which he wasn't actually in? You know, done just for fun, and hopefully in good taste and realistic, etc.

The Seperate Ways LP Cover
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Jul 12, 2003 5:31 am

Fun thread. Side 1: Help Me Make It Through The Night; Early Morning Rain; Put Your Hand In The Hand; It's Still Here; It's Only Love; Until It's Time For You To Go. Side 2: The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face; For Lovin' Me; We Can Make The Morning; Fools Rush In; I'm Leavin'; Don't Think Twice, It's Alright. Remember folks, My Way; Love Me, Love The Life I Lead; and Padre we're considered to be outtakes, and in my opinion the other 2 solo/piano tunes - though decent - weren't quite as strong as It's Still Here.

Sat Jul 12, 2003 1:36 pm

Elvis is a giant on Seperate ways cover :roll:

Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:26 am

I've been thinking about a 1971 album for weeks now. Since the gospel songs are feat. on the "He Touched Me" album I was trying to focus more on the "folk" material that Elvis recorded in 1971. I'm still dreaming of a folk-oriented album as a follow up to the outstanding "Elvis Country".

If you look at the songs recorded in 1971 it definately looks as if something like this was on his mind. There's an interesting passage in the otherwise totally unessential little book "The Rough Guide To Elvis" by Paul Simpson about how Dylan's manager Bob Johnston tried to get Elvis'n'Bob to record together. Johnston said: "I think Dylan would have done it in a second ..." He even remembers that Bob Dylan had written a song for Elvis to record.

Elvis on the other hand "recorded" two songs by Bob Dlyan, "I Shall Be Released" of which a 42 seconds "rehearsal" version has been released on the BMG Walk A Mile In My Shoes boxset. Also a great 4 minutes jam edit of the Dylan classic "Don't Think Twice, It's Allright" can be found on this boxset.

Unforntunately nothing like this happened. Neither a folk album nor the much bigger event of an Elvis Presley / Bob Dylan recording session. Elvis tried a handful of folk songs but it was definatley not enough for a whole album IMO. Therefore it's difficult to compile something like this today. I tried it anyway but had to cheat a little when including two 1972 recordings:

Side A:

01. Fools Rush In (alt. take 9)
02. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
03. Until It's Time For You To Go (alt. take 5)
04. It's Still Here (full version)
05. For The Good Times
06. Early Mornin' Rain
07. (That's What You Get) For Lovin' Me

Side B:

08. Don't Think Twice, It's Allright
09. I Will Be True
10. Where Do I Go From Here?
11. Help Me Make It Through The Night (from "Great Country Songs")
12. I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen
13. I'm Leavin'

bonus songs:
14. I Shall Be Released (rehearsal)
15. Tomorrow Is A Long Time
16. Amazing Grace (alt. take 2, "blues version")

Sun Jul 13, 2003 1:53 am

Yes, a folk album would have been the natural follow-up to the Elvis Country release. From the songs mentioned, it was clear that a pattern was emerging, but unfortunately for whatever reason, it wasn't pursued with any great conviction. By that I mean both by Elvis, as the artist involved, and whoever was responsible for searching for new material for him. Not just cover versions, but new, interesting and challenging songs for Elvis in 1971. It was a wasted opportunity, a shame, as the songs that were recorded more than hinted at a great folk album that could have been. I've always thought "Early Morning Rain" was one of Elvis' best recordings, similar to "Gentle On My Mind" and "My Little Friend" from the 1969 Memphis sessions. On the subject of the 1971 material, the best version of "The First Time..." is, in my opinion, on the "Burning In Birmingham" import release, in concert in December 76. A really heartfelt performance, of the type that Elvis occasionally did in concert with "rare" songs, such as the version of "Danny Boy" on "Tucson 76".

Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:57 pm

Graceland Gardener wrote:
RKSNASHVILLE wrote:Graceland Gardener,

RKS

wish photo. :roll:

It would have to be arranged. "Elvis, here's what we'd like for the cover..."
and get him to go outside and etc

Not bad, but considering the fact that Elvis did not like to do photo/portrait studio stuff, I would've gotten him to pose. (Outside or inside)
I would've gotten Elvis to pose with a few of his friends and the musicians too. (Try to make the picture taking as informal as possible)
I wouldn't have told him it would be for an album cover - until after the pictures were developed. (The pictures of Elvis by himself would be used).

A little sneaky, but why not?

OK, now for my picks:

SIDE A:

I'm Leavin'
Help Me Make It Through the Night
It's Still Here (the entire version)
(That's What You Get) For Lovin' Me

SIDE B:

It's Only Love
We Can Make the Morning
Early Morning Rain
Love Me, Love the Life I Lead
Padre
Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (a 4 1/2 minute version)

Tom (from Ohio)

Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:12 pm

Hounddawg,

I notice you and I both selected "I'm leavin" and "It's Only Love" but in reverse placement. Both are strong openers for either side A or B.

Detouring away from '71 material, I think another strong album opener (had it been used that way) would have been imo, "Just A Little Bit"
It has that driving bass riff and concussion *boom* beat. Definitely would get your attention as the first thing to hear when dropping the needle on Side A.

GG