Robbie is in Trouble here...lol.
That is good !

Surely a professional job ?

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Melanie
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by Melanie »

The RW part is from the TV Special "The Robbie Williams Show", which was designed along the lines of the '68 Comeback. This song is about his best effort, as in my opinion his cover of Suspicious Minds is terrible.

I think actor Harvey Keitel did a better job in the film "Finding Graceland".

Joe Car
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Joe Car »

It's an impossible task to go up against EP from the 68 special, though Willams does a decent job. Thanks for posting the clip Ton.

Deleted User 930

Post by Deleted User 930 »

Melanie wrote:The RW part is from the TV Special "The Robbie Williams Show", which was designed along the lines of the '68 Comeback. This song is about his best effort, as in my opinion his cover of Suspicious Minds is terrible.

I think actor Harvey Keitel did a better job in the film "Finding Graceland".

I'm with you Melanie.

That Robbie Williams guy is acting like he forgot to remove his vibrator. :smt078

JYM
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by JYM »

Our guy is the best! LOL!

changeofhabit
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by changeofhabit »

It's impossible to make perfect cover of Elvis. Harvey Keitel sings so good than he can, and makes great performance in his own league. There's only one King.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

For those who don't know, Robbie Williams is an Elvis fan and he likes to 'do' Elvis as a kind of tribute.

He isn't trying to 'be' Elvis or impersonate him in a derogatory way.

Colin B

sam

Post by sam »

Robbies cool. A great performer!!! :D

8)

dl
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by dl »

Hey, Mr. KempoDick! Robbie Williams (who should call himself Robert after he turned thirty) still is one of the very few real entertainers we have around today. And don't talk about vibrators, there could be infants* on the board :wink:

*sind Infanten nicht die Tiere mit dem Rüssel?

Dan_T

Post by Dan_T »

Well,I found Robbie's version better than Elvis' Aloha versions,which anybody surely can see is lazy,to say the least.

I wish I could enjoy Robbie like everybody else seems too though,but I can't.

I appreciated his comments to Michael Parkinson recently though.

A couple of years back "Parky" was on "Room 101" on which he stated "I hate Presley,and all his works" Robbie,on the Parkinson show said "I love Elvis,and all his work" I'm sure he was aware of Parkinson's earlier comments on Room 101.

Thought "Advertising Space" was a nice tribute too.

Johnny 99

Post by Johnny 99 »

Cool clip - thanks

''I'm a good guy, basically'' - Tony Soprano

''if I ever got to the place where I could feel all old Arthur felt, I’d be a music man like nobody ever saw.” - Elvis Presley (1956)

Melanie
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by Melanie »

I wasn't putting him down and I wasn't saying he is an impersonator or trying to be. I liked "Advertising Space" (vocals have improved) and I said so on this forum. It's a song, that only fans of Elvis can fully understand and appreciate. And I have to admit the lyrics are very moving. There's no earthly way of knowing what was in your heart when it stopped going..... I think it's great that he is out there fighting for Elvis. And I prefer his comments to say Bono's poem. But I still am of the opinion that his version of Suspicious Minds doesn't hold up to Harvey Keitel. The arrangement is strange, but maybe that's because I don't care very much for his music besides one or two songs. He is somewhat of a phenomenon, though I have read that he is not on top of his game anymore. If he should ever retire are we going to vote if he gets to be part of FECC? :wink:

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

ColinB wrote:For those who don't know, Robbie Williams is an Elvis fan and he likes to 'do' Elvis as a kind of tribute.

He isn't trying to 'be' Elvis or impersonate him in a derogatory way.
I realize that. I also appreciate his love and respect for Elvis and some of his own personal work as well.

dreambear
Registered for: 18 years 11 months

Post by dreambear »

changeofhabit wrote:It's impossible to make perfect cover of Elvis. Harvey Keitel sings so good than he can, and makes great performance in his own league. There's only one King.
But Bruce Springsteen did a really good version of "Viva Las Vegas" on the tribute album "The last temptation of Elvis" (though I can´t stand the ZZ Top version).

//Björn

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 9 months

Re: Elvis and Robbie Wiliams

Post by TJ »

ColinB wrote:
Ton Bruins wrote:

That is good !

No it was produced by a fan. It was posted on another forum a year or so ago by the person who created it.

JYM

Post by JYM »

Dan_T wrote:Well,I found Robbie's version better than Elvis' Aloha versions,which anybody surely can see is lazy,to say the least.

I wish I could enjoy Robbie like everybody else seems too though,but I can't.

I appreciated his comments to Michael Parkinson recently though.

A couple of years back "Parky" was on "Room 101" on which he stated "I hate Presley,and all his works" Robbie,on the Parkinson show said "I love Elvis,and all his work" I'm sure he was aware of Parkinson's earlier comments on Room 101.

Thought "Advertising Space" was a nice tribute too.
Could you specify if you take in account or not the voice of each?

Hope not!

ColinB

Re: Elvis and Robbie Wiliams

Post by ColinB »

TJ wrote:
ColinB wrote:
Ton Bruins wrote:

That is good !

No it was produced by a fan. It was posted on another forum a year or so ago by the person who created it.
I was just going by the soundtrack, for one thing.

Both singers seem to be singing to the same backing !

Colin B

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Cryogenic »

Such an edfiying experience. Thanks for that!

Aside from the editing in the first video, which was very good, and the appearance of Elvis singing "Trouble" in black and white (which adds rather than subtracts), I think the content is shameful: Robbie CANNOT sing those songs. OK, he has talent, he has looks, he has charisma, but I think he should stick to his own material. He's a speck next to the likes of Elvis, Sinatra and Martin. He has a reedy voice, with absolutely no bass/depth to it, little sense of timing or rhythm, the face of a brick layer (a rough one), and the fashion sense, when mutilating "Suspicious Minds", of I don't know what. Elvis looked manly and supremely stylish at all times, but Robbie is almost a parody of manhood with his beige vest, bulky arms, cropped hair and obnoxious tattoos. Elvis' eyes are incredible during "Trouble", too, both enchanting and scaring the sh*t out of you, but Robbie just plays it for cheap karaoke thrills. Look, ma, I'm doing Elvis! Incidentally, did anyone notice the vague appearance of a double chin in the "Suspicious Minds" performance? People criticise Elvis -- yet Robbie Williams is still younger than Elvis was during the Comeback Special. Elvis' weight didn't remotely begin to run away with him until his late 30's. Like I said: an edifying experience.

Incidentally, Williams' mauling of the words to "Trouble" and "Suspicious Minds" speaks of a limited understanding of music -- e.g. during "Trouble", rather than singing "just look right in my face", he sings, "just stare in my face," completely killing the smoldering danger of the song and the edgy imperative that the singer makes within it. I won't even touch his abominal rendition of "Suspicious Minds". I can imagine another TV set in Graceland meeting its destiny if Elvis were sat watching that... if you know what I mean. :lol:

TJ

Post by TJ »

Cryogenic wrote:Such an edfiying experience. Thanks for that!

Aside from the editing in the first video, which was very good, and the appearance of Elvis singing "Trouble" in black and white (which adds rather than subtracts), I think the content is shameful: Robbie CANNOT sing those songs. OK, he has talent, he has looks, he has charisma, but I think he should stick to his own material. He's a speck next to the likes of Elvis, Sinatra and Martin. He has a reedy voice, with absolutely no bass/depth to it, little sense of timing or rhythm, the face of a brick layer (a rough one), and the fashion sense, when mutilating "Suspicious Minds", of I don't know what. Elvis looked manly and supremely stylish at all times, but Robbie is almost a parody of manhood with his beige vest, bulky arms, cropped hair and obnoxious tattoos. Elvis' eyes are incredible during "Trouble", too, both enchanting and scaring the sh*t out of you, but Robbie just plays it for cheap karaoke thrills. Look, ma, I'm doing Elvis! Incidentally, did anyone notice the vague appearance of a double chin in the "Suspicious Minds" performance? People criticise Elvis -- yet Robbie Williams is still younger than Elvis was during the Comeback Special. Elvis' weight didn't remotely begin to run away with him until his late 30's. Like I said: an edifying experience.

Incidentally, Williams' mauling of the words to "Trouble" and "Suspicious Minds" speaks of a limited understanding of music -- e.g. during "Trouble", rather than singing "just look right in my face", he sings, "just stare in my face," completely killing the smoldering danger of the song and the edgy imperative that the singer makes within it. I won't even touch his abominal rendition of "Suspicious Minds". I can imagine another TV set in Graceland meeting its destiny if Elvis were sat watching that... if you know what I mean. :lol:
Mr Goldman, is that you?? Wow, lighten up mate. It was a fun tribute to Elvis - nothing more, nothing less. Comes to something when you are delighted to detect a slight double chin. This from an Elvis fan who has listened to people crapping on Elvis for years because of the weight issue. It wasn't even an accurate point anyway. Ever seen Paradise Hawaiian Style?

JYM

Post by JYM »

TJ wrote:

Mr Goldman, is that you?? Wow, lighten up mate. It was a fun tribute to Elvis - nothing more, nothing less. Comes to something when you are delighted to detect a slight double chin. This from an Elvis fan who has listened to people crapping on Elvis for years because of the weight issue. It wasn't even an accurate point anyway. Ever seen Paradise Hawaiian Style?
Wow TJ, calm down. You are not in the right message board!

Nothing againts Williams but that shows us how by far Elvis was and is better than anyonelse!!!! Are you afraid of that?
Imagine we heard Elvis from a tape of 1968!
Cryogenic, you are right 100%.

TJ

Post by TJ »

JYM wrote:
TJ wrote:

Nothing againts Williams but that shows us how by far Elvis was and is better than anyonelse!!!! Are you afraid of that?
Don't be daft JYM, of course I think Elvis blows Robbie away. I was referring to the Goldmanesque assassination of Robbie's voice, looks and even fashion sense, eg "reedy voice", "parody of manhood", "face of a brick layer". Not to mention the evident delight in detecting that he wasn't skinny as a rake. Just struck me as an example of someone slamming the hell out of a popular performer to give Elvis a boost which he doesn't even need. Elvis is in a different league to Robbie, but equally Robbie is in a different league to most modern performers, most notably when it comes to live performance. Ever seen the guy work a crowd? I don't lose any of my Elvis fan credentials by pointing that out and it certainly doesn't mean I'm on the wrong messageboard. What an odd thing to say :?

JYM

Post by JYM »

TJ wrote:
JYM wrote:
TJ wrote:

Don't be daft JYM, of course I think Elvis blows Robbie away. I was referring to the Goldmanesque assassination of Robbie's voice, looks and even fashion sense, eg "reedy voice", "parody of manhood", "face of a brick layer". Not to mention the evident delight in detecting that he wasn't skinny as a rake. Just struck me as an example of someone slamming the hell out of a popular performer to give Elvis a boost which he doesn't even need. Elvis is in a different league to Robbie, but equally Robbie is in a different league to most modern performers, most notably when it comes to live performance. Ever seen the guy work a crowd? I don't lose any of my Elvis fan credentials by pointing that out and it certainly doesn't mean I'm on the wrong messageboard. What an odd thing to say :?
OK :wink:

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

Cryogenic wrote: Robbie is almost a parody of manhood with his obnoxious tattoos.
I suggest you don't say that near a New Zealand Maori :D

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Cryogenic »

TJ wrote:Mr Goldman, is that you?? Wow, lighten up mate. It was a fun tribute to Elvis - nothing more, nothing less.
We clearly have different standards about what constitutes a "fun tribute".

This is my recommendation. It's Chris Moyles performing "Burning Love" on "The X-Factor":

And guess what? He's not as attractive as Robbie Williams, he can't sing as well and he's considerably overweight. But none of that is relevant here. Why? Because Moyles does it with charisma, humour and real gusto. The arrangement is fun and Moyles takes that and runs with it. He commands the stage. Robbie looks and sounds like a tit doing Elvis's material (in my opinion). You have taken my remarks out of the context in which they were given.