Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis' 40 Greatest (Arcade) - 70's TV Ad Campaign (request)

Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:24 pm

Though I guess it's a long shot (and I have posted a similar request in the past), would anyone happen to have an archived recording of the 70's UK TV advertisment for the double LP set 'Elvis' 40 Greatest', released on the arcade label.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:47 pm

No! But I am really replying to bump this thread to the top - I would love to see this.
It was this advert that I actually heard Elvis voice for the first time. If memory serves me - Heartbreak Hotel came on first then My Baby Left Me. I think the track listing is vice versa?

I was 7 and a half (important back then). What a great memory!! I said to my Mum - can I have this please - she said you won't like it - I said yes I will. This went on for a few adverts. I better stop before I give you the names of my favourite Action Men toys! NOSTALGIA

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:08 am

Yikes! This is the one that got me hooked!, god that cover shot brings back some memories :lol:

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:50 am

This was the album that got me as well , I think it was 1974 and I just knew it was for me the look the sound everything . That's why I use it as my tag . For me it was the begining . Hope someone has the ad as I'd love to see it again

MEMORIES

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:56 pm

I don't have this particular advert, but, on video, I have adverts for "Inspirations", the K-Tel LP from the late '70's, and also the Cresta Bear advert featuring the tune "Teddy bear"!! Anyone remember that? I remember when "40 graetest" came out, there was actually a queue of people waiting to buy it Woolworth's in Wembley! Nowadays, Wembley is full of asylum seekers, refugees, foreigners and illegal immigrants queing for handouts!

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:18 pm

I do remember the Cresta advert "It's Frothy Man!"

The 40 Greatest Hits was brilliant. My dad bought it, so I could play it over and over. Brings back some memories. It was re-released with a different cover and pressed on pink vinyl.

It was fantastic to have so many hits on a double album. It was first released in 1974, but I've not seen the advert since. VCR's were fairly rare back then, so I'd be surprised if the advert still exists.
Last edited by Getlo on Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:24 am

I remember shivers going through me, the first time I heard"...he goes by the name of King Creole", which was in the TV Advert....Wow!

Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:32 am

I have the German TV advertisement version. It was part of the old Rockin' The Garden compilation.

Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:07 am

First of all I'd like to thank everyone for the contributions to this topic thus far.

It really does seem both from the replies here and comments I have received that 'Elvis' 40 Greatest' was the starting point for several UK fans, indeed the TV advert in question was also my very first introduction to Elvis.

I encourage anyone who remembers the advert or has fond memories of this 'Arcade' gem to post in this topic with their comments and information (particularly any details regarding the actual TV ad).

Maybe this classic vinyl even deserves it's own little tribute page on the net ?

Finally, for now, Jim Dandy, thanks for posting, is there any chance you could upload the German advert you mention. I don't know how close it would be in comparison to the UK advert, but it would be great to check out regardless.

Alternatively, if you could email the file to me I could upload it to my webspace for anyone interested to check out.

Drop me a message if you feel you can help out, thanks in advance.

Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:46 am

Just a friendly little bump to give this topic another shot :D

Jim Dandy, any luck with the German TV Advert you mentioned ? Anyone else also have it ? Thanks.