Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

FTD-prices

Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:39 pm

I was recently thinking of expanding my Elvis collection with a few new FTD-albums. I opted for 4 titles but i was somewhat shocked to hear the price of the albums (95 Euro's shipping incl.)

Am i alone in thinking that there is no real reason for BMG to price these cd's so exorbitantly (sp?)?

Obviously, you get alot of material that is "special" like live concerts and outtakes but i think we all know that there is nothing "exclusive" about the releases as i had no trouble ordering Silver Screen Stereo. An album which is almost 2 years old!! Limited Edition? Collectors Label?? My foot! :evil:

I feel that this is just another way of cashing in Big Time on Elvis's Fans by BMG & Elvis Presley Enterprises.

And still there are fans saying we should "support" the FTD-label or else they might stop releasing this material alltogether! We are to thank FTD for giving :roll: us these wonderfull cd's!! The BMG-executives are laughing there butts of about those remarks!

Well, that's my two cents, anyway :wink:

How do others feel about the FTD-pricing (and cd-pricing in general)? :?:

Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:11 am

Not a very good "two cents" in my opinion.
The FTD releases are wonderful for the Elvis fan. I've purchased them all and will continue to do so. Yes, WE SHOULD SUPPORT THEM. If we don't, they will not put out any more. Does any real fan want this?
If you can't afford them all, buy the ones you want but DO buy them. They are a great addition to your collection.
I would rather pay $29 for all unreleased material than rehashes of the same old Greatest Love Songs compilation-types for $16.
Yes, you do pay almost twice as much as a regular cd purchased in stores but look what you get!
Sorry if I seemed a bit harsh but this subject really gets me.
By the way, you can purchase them right here on this web site. We should support the FECC messageboard too. Hopefully we'll get Ernst to come back again.

jeff R

Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:15 am

This subject doesn't seem to be discussed much here for some reason; maybe it's because people love the FTD concept so much they are afraid to jinx it by complaining about prices.

I also think that since these cover material that might otherwise be the domain of bootleggers, BMG feels collectors will pay a higher price just as they would for a boot. And I guess they're right.

But I agree they are overpriced. I don't buy every one, I have to pick and choose because I don't think every release has material that will be worth it to me. For instance, I find listening to lots and lots of 70's sound boards to be too repetitive and a bit boring.

I buy most of the studio related stuff but I would buy more if the prices were more reasonable.

By the way, a few summers ago I was in Los Angeles where I bought several FTDs from the Tower Records store on Sunset Blvd., and they were all for under $18, brand new, in the imports section. Has anybody else ever seen this, and why were they able to sell them in a store so cheaply? I picked up Out In Hollywood, In a Private Moment and The Jungle Room sessions that lucky day.

Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:50 am

I think the 2 cents is very valid. The ftd releases are no different than say the essential elvis series. But it gives them the outlet to put out more releases. you can't very well put out 5 cd's a year in retail, but they are priced way too high. It is a thin line because I too enjoy all of them, but I do know when i am being gouged. If the ftd's were to stop, the unreleased elvis takes would not stop in my opinion. Hell they sold 200,000 box set units last year. The box sets with all the outtakes are a real value. That is my 2 cents.

Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:59 am

Being an Elvis-fan isn't cheap, always has been and always will be, this way.

Enjoy!

N8
... just a fan ....

Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:10 am

I have to buy them all. I have always thought they were a bit expensive, but the only solution is to not buy them, and I want them.

8)

Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:27 am

carolynlm wrote:I received my Dragonheart yesterday and love it. Are they using a different sort of packaging material now? Mine seems a bit thinner than my other FTD's.

I recieved an email on the 8th saying my copy was sent. But I haven't recieved it yet. And you live further away than me.:cry:

:cry:

Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:57 am

When the FTD-series started Ernst said in a statement that they would charge the record-dealers the same amount as any regular Elvis release.
Seems like there is some kind of a "cartel" thing going on. All dealers have a high price...

Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:54 pm

I had purchased them all up until Dragonheart came out. That was when the price suddenly jumped to over $32.00!!! That is not much less than I paid for the TTF box set--brand new and sealed!

I wouldn't mind paying in the mid $20s for these releases, but over $30 is absolutely outrageous. I can't tell you how much not having a complete collection is going to kill me.

I wish someone would take a good old capitolist lesson from Walmart. They are turning huge profits--even in a down economy--for one simple reason--they have the best price!

Want to move a bunch of CDs? Offer the best price.

Terry

Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:21 pm

jeffreyjames wrote:Not a very good "two cents" in my opinion.
The FTD releases are wonderful for the Elvis fan. I've purchased them all and will continue to do so. Yes, WE SHOULD SUPPORT THEM. If we don't, they will not put out any more. If you can't afford them all, buy the ones you want but DO buy them.

jeff R

Few things :) :

It's not really a matter of whether or not i can afford it. I'm in the fortunate position that that's not a problem for me. It's the principal that offends me.

Having said this, i went out and bought the Up Close box (65 Euro, now that's more like it!! :P ) today and realized that prices, not just the FTD's have sky-rocketed. I'm expected to pay 22,25 Euro for a new 'regular' cd. (For our Dutch friends: that's practically 50 guilders! :shock: ).

I think the attitude of people that "we HAVE to buy them all, or else they will stop giving us our Alternate Elvis and we can't live without that!!" sounds a bit disturbing. Almost like an addiction even? :?

i've been collecting all sorts of import & other alternative albums since the mid eighties but this made my collection so big that the only stuff i listend to were the "special recordings". With all the soundboards coming out in the nineties, i almost forgot how good Elvis actually was. I mean, simply compare "Guarenteed to Blow your Mind" (one of the most heralded Imports) with On Stage or the Aloha from Hawaii-cd.

All i am saying is that, unless a new cd really ADS something to my collection (in a musical way), i won't buy it anymore. Not at those prices anyway: I think my limit of 'Mediocre Elvis' has been reached. :cry:

Elvis at the International?
I already got three shows plus a compilation-album from that engagement.

It's Midnight?
Already got two other shows of that engagement in good enough sound quality.

Studio B 61-64?
I got the complete There's Always Me Box-sets at home aswell as the 24K Gold Double Album.

Dragonheart?
I'm quite content with Breathing Out Fire.

Off Course, as a collector, i would love to get hold of the bold printed titles but with those prices i am more then happy to pick stuff out of my well stocked cd-rack and save me loads of money. :wink:

Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:03 pm

Scarre wrote:When the FTD-series started Ernst said in a statement that they would charge the record-dealers the same amount as any regular Elvis release.
Seems like there is some kind of a "cartel" thing going on. All dealers have a high price...

So true, so true! The price from FTD isn't a a secret. You correctly stated that Ernst Jørgensen said in his statement that the price is the same as a normal RCA full price CD. If we are lucky someone will post the wholesale price in DKK on this board sometime. Just to confirm our assumptions that the fan-clubs run off with our money!

Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:08 pm

Well, if the wholesale price for FTD that I've been told is correct - the dealers mark up is staggering !!! - then it is no longer such a mystery how a few places can undercut the 'standard price - they are still making a substantial profit when they do.

Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:11 am

ClintReno wrote:Well, if the wholesale price for FTD that I've been told is correct - the dealers mark up is staggering !!! - then it is no longer such a mystery how a few places can undercut the 'standard price - they are still making a substantial profit when they do.

If you know the price, why don't post it for all to see?

Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:24 am

In The Netherlands an average CD costs between 20 and 23 euro. Paying 22 euro for a FTD is extremely wellspend money....

So yes, they are expensive. But still around the same price as the latest album from modern artists such as Pink, Eminem or Justin Timberlake. Those albums are made (and sold) by the millions. Paying that same amount for a limited release with ultra-rare material is good pricing.

A product like this deserves to be sold at fullprice...

Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:32 am

Jarle

.......because the operative word in my post above is 'if'.....being that it would be 3rd hand information. There must be message board members that know for a fact the wholesale price direct from FTD - although I somehow doubt they will be in a hurry to reveal their mark up which tells it's own story.

Sat Jul 12, 2003 1:02 am

Hi Ales,

I don't mean to insult or pick on any one person but you went on and on about all the cds that you have from certain periods of Elvis' life.
Seems strange that you would pay the bootleggers for cds but won't support the FTD releases.

jeff R

Sat Jul 12, 2003 4:58 am

Albert wrote:So yes, they are expensive. But still around the same price as the latest album from modern artists. A product like this deserves to be sold at fullprice...

I would be happy to pay the same full price as a latest album from current artists.
But FTD releases cost double that. :(

:(

Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:09 pm

It is where you buy the FTD releases,i always get mine from norwegian Elvis fanclub.Flaming Star,with delivery it is only 26$,cheaper than regular releases.It is your own fault if you pay to much. :lol:

Sat Jul 12, 2003 1:09 pm

I bought all the FTD's here in Belgium for 23.00 € a piece, i always buy them when they come out, and i have seen on some internet shops up to 3 times that price. But 95 €uro is indeed way to high!!