Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

It's Midnight and Spring Tours - recommended?

Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:29 pm

I have almost all FTD CDs, but don't have It's Midnight and Spring Tours. How do they compare to others such as Dixieland Rock/Dinner At Eight/6363 Sunset etc?

Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:39 pm

Dead Pool,
I can't tell you anything regarding It's Midnight, but personally, I enjoy listening to the Spring Tours CD that I have. Elvis voice is still very strong even though you can tell on some of the songs that he is hurting.
My favorites are Big Boss Man (I wonder why), Trying To Get To You, Bridge Over Troubled Water, and My Way.

I don't think you'd be disappointed in having this title, but I know there are many who may feel different (and that's ok too :D )

Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:50 pm

It's Midnight...You will not be dissapointed if you buy this title!
BEAUTIFUL artwork and WONDERFUL content. This release was an FTD masterpiece.
Steve

Having both titles

Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:52 pm

I would also recommend Spring Tours over It's Midnight. I like It's Midnight because it's from August 74 and it's the only concert i have of that engagement. I especially enjoy the painting story. As far as Spring Tours I really like almost every track. I think the more up temp tracks are sad to listen to except Lawdy Miss Clawdy. It just depends on your taste :D

Bama

Re: It's Midnight and Spring Tours - recommended?

Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:15 am

Deadpool wrote:I have almost all FTD CDs, but don't have It's Midnight and Spring Tours. How do they compare to others such as Dixieland Rock/Dinner At Eight/6363 Sunset etc?

I'd recommened Spring Tours '77 rather than It's Midnight. The latter one pretty much disappointed me because of the flat sound and a show that is no surprise if you have one or two bootlegs from that engagement and probably the Live In Las Vegas boxset. On the other hand Spring Tours '77 was something like a big surprise. To be honest I didn't expect ot to be that good before I listened to it myself.

I remember when I first listened to Heartbreak Hotel after somebody said it sounded like 1970 ... I thought it was a bad joke. You should have seen me when I first heard it. There're a few - well, I wouldn't call them gems - but pretty fine performances on this one. The sound is outstanding, To m knowledge it was taken from a 4-track-tape they used in early '77.

If you're looking for great concert expriences I'd say that you should rather go for "At The International", "One Night In Vegas" and "Dixieland Rocks" though.

Re: It's Midnight and Spring Tours - recommended?

Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:35 am

see-see-rider wrote:If you're looking for great concert expriences I'd say that you should rather go for "At The International", "One Night In Vegas" and "Dixieland Rocks" though.

True. For me “Spring Tours” was a very weak CD. There was obviously a demand for this material amongst ‘70’s concert collectors, and the FTD label responded to this, but having had the opportunity to hear these tracks, I can fully understand the problems Felton Jarvis faced when trying to compile live material that was good enough for the “Moody Blue” album back in 1977.

“It’s Midnight” has a nice varied set list and is comparable to the soundboard boots that have been issued from this season in terms of both content and performance. Personally, I don’t think Elvis was at his best during August 1974, and the concert captured on “Dixieland Rocks”, recorded the next year, showcases Elvis in much better voice, but if you collect ‘70’s concerts and you are familiar with this type of material, you should enjoy the CD.

Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:25 am

When I compare "Dinner At Eight" to "It's Midnight" - I would go for the latter one.

As FTD told us that they would release the December 1975 show I thought that it would be an interesting show. :? But in my opinion the only song that I found quite good was "Help me make it through the night". It's not that Elvis doesn't sang good or anything else, but I found the whole show somewhat boring :?

If you listen to both of them, you'll hear that the "Dinner at eight" has the better soundquality, but not the better show - if you would ask me...

What can you say about "Spring Tours"? Some surprisingly well sung-songs, like "Help me", "Trying to get to you" and "Lawdy Miss Clawdy". I also liked the late 70's versions of "Polk Salad Annie" and you'll hear "Unchained Melody" for the first time undubbed.

(Surprisingly) Pretty good cd and as before mentioned - the sound is very good.

At last I would say that both were recommended (by myself) - in the end it's up to you. Music is always subjective - it's good, if you like it.

Kind regard, Jörn

Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:23 am

The single best live version of "And I Love You So" can be heard
on "Dinner At Eight" (for those of you that enjoy that particular number).

(Photo courtesy of FECC)

Fri Jul 11, 2003 6:05 am

I will probably get lynched for this but I would suggest only buying these 2 discs if you are a completist (like me). Spring Tours has great sound as the songs were professionally recorded but it's definitely very un-easy listening. Elvis really can't sing Bridge Over Troubled Water at this point and his voice fades in and out and he can't hit the notes...sad. It's Midnight is very similar to Dinner At Eight (although I haven't listened to it for awhile). It has muffled (soundboard quality) sound but I don't think either disc is worth anything close to $25 to $30 unless you are a hardcore fan and/or completist (like most of us here).

Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:50 pm

I would rather go for spring tour. good sound, interesting song selection from that period.
But don't expect too much either.

It's midnight is not the best soundboard i've heard. it's a so - so show. Elvis is not really focused and his medication problems seems to surface somehow.It's a definitively troubled period for him. I found that "dragonheart" is a more enjoyable concert to listen to.

Dinner at eight is a tipically routine vegas show(i would not be surprised if Elvis might have thougth "what i'm doing here ?").Not bad, but no real hightlights.

Dixieland rock is probably the best of all those above mentionned cd.

Sat Jul 12, 2003 9:53 pm

ronnyg wrote:I will probably get lynched for this but I would suggest only buying these 2 discs if you are a completist (like me). Spring Tours has great sound as the songs were professionally recorded but it's definitely very un-easy listening. Elvis really can't sing Bridge Over Troubled Water at this point and his voice fades in and out and he can't hit the notes...sad. It's Midnight is very similar to Dinner At Eight (although I haven't listened to it for awhile). It has muffled (soundboard quality) sound but I don't think either disc is worth anything close to $25 to $30 unless you are a hardcore fan and/or completist (like most of us here).

I agree with your comments about “Spring Tours” ronnyg. This is clearly not essential Elvis. I played it once when I bought it, and I haven’t felt the need to hear it again since then. I’m surprised some fans rate it so highly. The majority of the performances are weak, and better versions of the same songs are available on other releases.

Elvis’ version of “Bridge” is really weak. I know he did it better in his final show, but comparing the Spring Tours” version to the master or the live performances from August 1970, really highlights the trouble Elvis was in at this stage in his career.

Spring Tours is a fascinating piece of history

Sun Jul 13, 2003 11:50 pm

I would say "Spring Tours" beacuse there is so little '77 stuff around (not overdubbed) and it is both a fascinating, emotional and sad listen.
More full details here>>
http://www.elvis.com.au/ein/publish/rev ... ours.shtml

'It's Midnight" is also interesting because Aug/Sep '74 was a real mess for Elvis and I certainly listen to it more than "Dinner at Eight".
>>>
http://www.elvis.com.au/ein/publish/rev ... ight.shtml

Cheers
Piers