Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis Concerts On 8mm Film - What's Happened To Them?

Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:23 pm

Why has the market for new - 8mm concert footage of Elvis "dried up" over the past few years? I can recall back in the early-mid 90's (when I began collecting Elvis material) there were all kinds of footage available on VHS tapes.

Surely someone - somewhere has to be holding on to more footage.

I'm interested in knowing what the rest of you think about this. Would you all like to see more of this material surface?

Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:04 am

Hello Big Boss Man,

I don't believe that there is so much more 8 mm-footage leftover, because there is allready so much footage out there, that you can't get through (- often same footage with only a different name). Also, I think in times of DVD's the people are going only for the really good footage (think about the "B.T.I."-dvd!) and most of the footage I've seen is a often miserable.

Maybe that's the reason why the market for new 8 mm-concert-footage is almost dead.

Kind regards, Jörn

Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:10 am

Joern is right.

People releaseing DVDs are mainly going for the good stuff.
However the reason why most of the 8mm stuff is bad quality is that these are tenth or more generation copies.

If you would digitize video of the original master then that really shows the true quality of the video.
I have some 2nd generation clips from Pittsburgh 1976 new years eve and the quality is quite good. Much better then what generally is floating around.
Now I only wish I had the complete 45 minutes in this quality. Now that would make a nice DVD!!

And the same is true for other 8mm recordings.

There is this American who claims to have recorded about 50 hrs. But this guy is asking 10,000 USD for his collection. As if anybody would pay that amount. I think it is way overpriced.

Still interesting to see the quality of it and compare it to what we have.

Regards
Merijn

Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:21 pm

Hey guys, I'll tell you something.... I know a guy who saw Elvis 66 times in concert from 69 through to 77, and guess what..... he also filmed the shows.... all of them.
I know some of his stuff got put out, but not all of it. The last time I saw him, he said he had still got the films in his house loft on reel to reel.

I told him to get them transfered onto DVD before they rot, but he didn't seem interested.

UNBELIEVABLE, BUT WHAT DO YOU DO?

Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:31 pm

If they are in his loft and he doesn't want them - how much does he want for the whole collection ? You can private message me.

Cheers.

Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:54 pm

Ha Har,

Yes Clint tried it, he won't budge on 'em. I know a few guys who have offered him a considerable amount of money, and he just refuses... point blank.

Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:00 pm

Hi Joe

Well I can appreciate that they may hold more than monetary value to your friend if he filmed them himself - however, it is seriously a crying shame though if they just sit in a loft gathering dust :(

Have another word with him ;)

Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:08 pm

Hi Joe,

I think I know that particular guy.
Indeed I think it's the same as I emailed. I also said he should transfer it to DVD to preserve.
Indeed he didn't seem very interested.

I asked what he wanted for the whole lot (about 100 hours).
It's the "Okay Bob" person that you can hear in Polk salad Annie of the Madison square garden show.

He seemed to think that one day it would be a good investment for his wife and kids. But I think he forgets the fact that it is tape and that tape can wear out even if you don't play them.
Due to the ever present earth magnetic field in time the small magnetic particles on the tape will get demagnetized. (areas are known as Weiss areas on a magnetic surface).
Heat is also bad for magnetic tapes, as at higher temparatures magnetism diminishes.

So I do hope that someday one person can talk some sense in this guy.
If he keeps this going for another 100 years then there is nothing to sell for his kids anymore.

One positive side of it is that indeed a large part of what he filmed did come out. I remember videotapes such as Cross country with Elvis where compiled by this guy.

It would be a great waste if the material from his masters don't get preserved rightly. People around Elvis are dying all the time now. So in another 40-80 years there are no more persons who were close to Elvis when Elvis lived.

I think it should be a crime punishable by law if people let history die (recordings of live concerts, concert photos, stories, studio material etc)

regards
Merijn

Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:11 pm

With you completely on that one Clint.

Also I wouldn't say he was my friend, I haven't seen him for about 3 years, he is always off to the states to see these more modern type country acts.

I mean I'm alright commenting, he could have sold them, but I doubt it very much. When I last saw him, he said he was sick and tired of people coming offering him money, he said "they where is films and he wasn't selling them to nobody".

It's a damn shame! it really is.

Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:19 pm

I understand if the guy holiding so much Elvis material doesn't want to part from it.

But I think it woud reasonably cheap to transerf the material into digital format and then keep them private also. In this way the collection value would be really for ever.

I am sure some Elvis fan would be availble to do this almost for free -give the chance to actually see this footage. It would be very good for this person investment. It would also be a good occasion to organize this great collection.

that's what i would suggest this person.

Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:31 pm

To address the original question again for a moment - I think that 2 recent DVD's (Ed Bonja's and the B.T.I moreso) proved that there is still quality 8mm footage available so far unreleased.

What they also proved is no matter how good the footage - if it is backed with a non Elvis audio the interest is lessened somewhat - though of course it is necessary to be put out that way (most pre 1975 footage will have originally been silent anyway ?) Of course the main thing is to have the footage - enterprising fans can always add audio to it ;)

I also talked to a guy a while ago who filmed several shows himself and much of that was still unreleased, so yes there is still film out there !

As an enthusiastic collector of Elvis film I would welcome more quality 8mm footage.

Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:42 pm

anyone who owns ep films or rare tapes and lets them rot is a big dumb ass who needs to be punched in the mouth and beat up.
the dumb sobs should be strung up and whipped and their stuff should be stolen by a fan who cares. :twisted:

Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:44 pm

You're right Clint, I beleive there is plenty of Elvis film out there, and let's face it, we all got to die sometime, and if people want to hold on to the stuff, there ain't nothing we can do about it.
But when they do die, then stuff will be found "In Peoples Lofts" eh!, and perhaps with a bit of luck, the material will still be playable.

Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:47 pm

Ha Ha Ha Ha Har, laughed like hell at that one Tuls You're right man, bang on right.

Ha Ha Ha

JOE ESPOSITO FILM

Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:22 pm

I think it's fair to say that Joe Esposito has a lot more film footage than what was included on the "My home movies of Elvis" video from the 1980's. And that was a GREAT video when it came out!
TONY DOBB