Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Editing History.

Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:51 pm

There's been a few threads up recently about changing the way fans and the general public view Elvis. Elvis as musical genius, endless recycling of the Elvis in Concert debate, etc, etc. There was also the thread about the various books available.

I have my view of Elvis, he's not that humble, but he not that confident and he careers to a shambolic and messy end. But he feels human and three dimensional.

Does anyone think that there's a definitive "Elvis" that everyone can subscribe to? Or is it always going to be a conflict between EPE's highly censored, plaster saint and Albert Goldmans fantasised, infantile devil, and all points in between?

Are we chasing phantoms when we try to pin him down?

Is the truth out there?

Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:03 pm

Hi Tupelo Boy!

I think every fan has their own unique opinion and impression of Elvis, both the artist and the human being.
This is also what makes it so interesting and thrilling to be a fan!

We can argue 'till the cows go home about the music, the myths, the person, the people and artists around him...
And in many cases there are NO true answers, only speculations.

Regardless, it's nice to see that the GENERAL public in the last few years FINALLY have started to acknowledge the ARTIST Elvis Presley, focusing on his marvellous music!

We, the fans, should be glad that Elvis is still "alive" in the music industry today. It's fantastic to have had both a millionselling single AND an album in the past year! Which other artist on this planet could have done that, 25-26 years after his death!? Amazing...

Let's hope the upcoming single and 2nd to None album does our Man justice!

Br
Kristian

Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:39 pm

Tupelo_boy, when the dust settles and real biographers get to work on Elvis' life we are all in for a shock-a pleasant one!

Separating the truth from the fiction will be a daunting task but at least the next experts will have a lifetime to do it:-)

Elvis was indeed human with all the frailties but no matter what anyone says, as soon as he broke into song we all listened in awe. (his best stuff is incomparable!)

Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:11 pm

disney wrote:Tupelo_boy, when the dust settles and real biographers get to work on Elvis' life we are all in for a shock-a pleasant one!

The "dust" settled years ago.

I for one find it hard to believe, in general, that the truth is discovered the farther we get away from an event.

I believe the reality/details/truth is there to be recognized, investigated and chronicled at the time of the happening - not decades after.

One of these days we'll know the truth about JFK's death....

(The time to learn that was when the shots rang out and in the minutes that followed)

One of these days we'll know the truth about Elvis' lifestyle....

(The time to learn that was while Elvis was still living)

That time has passed.

As time goes by, as life goes on, we get farther and farther away from truths, from facts, from memories.

I don't believe that "someday" (after every single person who knew Evis is too deceased) that we are going to learn more about Elvis!?

No. The time is now.

And the time was then.

Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:23 pm

I think that the first key in trying to understanding Elvis is to separate the fallable man and the legendary entertainer. It's like comparing apples to oranges. I. personally don't give a hoot about the man. It's the entertainer and his music, (and some acting) that I still very much enjoy.

Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:29 pm

Graceland Gardiner, Depends on the calibre of the investigators dont you think?

There was not many Sherlock Holmes around, Elvis was there:-)

Murderers free for decades are being discovered now because of DNA -more than elementary reasoning is required now.

Collating all the Elvis material in the future with the help of computers will put a completely different picture in front of us than the one we have now.

There are still untold stories out there because a lot of people were never interviewed by the media.

Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:43 pm

Maurice,
Interesting response.

Who's right in theory, I suppose, will depend upon that old adage:

time will tell.

How ironic. The view I expressed is against the idea of time will tell.

your view supports time will tell.

But mortality dictates that over time, persons who can tell will die and their memories with them.

The time to tell all truths about knowing Elvis Presley the man, artist, friend, relative, entertainer is a window of time that is nearly closed.

GG

Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:21 pm

Graceland Gardener, The victors write the histories, so no point in reading new histories then. Unless like me you are Irish:-) I learnt Irish history in an English school, it was all true, believe me, the English dont lie about Ireland why would they:-)

I see your point about distnce of time, I just do not agree because from my own experience as an avaracious reader, the truth is not always told in the first instance. Wiser heads than mine know how problematic interpretation is. Just take one instance who do you believe recorded Elvis Marion or Sam Phillips? That is comparitively fresh info.

The fingerprints have gone:-) There is more in this fascinating story than meets the eye-or less!

Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:00 am

Tupelo Boy, wasn't it Marion Keisker who said something like, "Elvis was like a mirror...whatever you wanted to find you were going to find in him." I think that's true. And also part of his appeal. Elvis was whatever you wanted him to be. Hillbilly Cat, Rock God, Hollywood Elvis, Vegas Crooner...pick your Elvis. I don't know if anyone will ever really be able to do a thorough examination of just who the PERSON was. For someone so supposedly well known, he was such an enigma.

In a lot of instances, historical figures are better documented after some distance, when it's easier to have a more objective opinion rather than while that person is alive or while their contemporaries are still an influence.

Eagle

His Truth Is Marching On...

Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:46 pm

[quote="EagleUSA"]wasn't it Marion Keisker who said something like, "Elvis was like a mirror...whatever you wanted to find you were going to find in him."

Eagle, you're spot on, with the quote and what follows. Vegas Elvis is my Elvis, my Dad always saw the 50's rocker, no matter what.

I wish I had that universal appeal!

Sun Jul 13, 2003 1:56 am

Maurice -

With regard to the 'English' version of Irish History, I suspect you subscribe to the Sinead O'Connor school of thought !

Am I right ?

Sorry to be 'off-topic'.