Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Tom in North Carolina
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

US Fan Clubs

Post by Tom in North Carolina »

jak wrote:Last night at our monthly fan club meeting was the great great nephew of William Robert Hunt.He was the doctor who delivered Elvis and Jesse Garon.
Jak's post got me to thinking. How many active fan clubs are still out there in the US?? I know that most that I've been involved with have gone the way of the DoDo (and Priscilla's original face), but I'm sure that there are some still kicking here and there. Let us know about yours.

Tom

Re: US Fan Clubs

Post by Guest »

Tom in North Carolina wrote:
jak wrote:Last night at our monthly fan club meeting was the great great nephew of William Robert Hunt.He was the doctor who delivered Elvis and Jesse Garon.
Jak's post got me to thinking. How many active fan clubs are still out there in the US?? I know that most that I've been involved with have gone the way of the DoDo (and Priscilla's original face), but I'm sure that there are some still kicking here and there. Let us know about yours.

Tom
Tom,

I'm not sure of how many are active. But I do know the numbers of clubs period are dwindling because according to some of the President's - EPE is neglecting them and their work for EP. According to them, the "Insiders" club is now the outlet for Elvis fans via EPE --- because they PAY EPE for it. And they express the feeling it is EPE's intention to do away with the clubs to make the "Insiders" the be all, end all fanclub - under the control of EPE.

They have told me to look at the different functions during Elvis Week for FC Presidents - and to look at how they alarmingly are dissapearing. To be replaced by "Insider" conferences and other events for the so-called "Insiders" (which I personally find is a joke. Sure, pay your 40 bucks or whatever and you will have a magic wand tap you on the head and you instantly become an Elvis expert............ COME ON ALREADY! I'm proud to be an "Outsider"!!!!)

The Fan Club President's luncheon is now "no more" as well. The one event that brought all the active club President's together twice a year - has turned into a minor event (and is now called the "President's Event") And the clubs I've talked to in the past few months feel they've had an anvil dropped on them, and have been b*tch slapped at the same time. EPE even asked via a comment card if the President's still felt the "Luncheons are neccesary". And from everyone - the President's I mean - that I've talked to ALL said "YES!".

But, the presidents are feeling even more upset because this "couple hour" minor event - EPE is charging the President's admission. And they are not happy about that. In years long gone, the President's would pay for themselves and would be allowed to bring two guests/club officers for free. To which was, in the past a major event. Now, everyone has to pay. And that's it.

Do I agree with all of the different points these clubs bring up? Not totally. But, I can now see why clubs are failing to thrive. They are feeling like they've been taken on the biggest ride of their lives. Giving EPE free worldwide promotion - only to be disgraced by the changes of recent.

And personally I've felt the wrath of some of these "Insiders" when 4 hours before one of their "Events" in the ticket pavillion I had gone in there to use the ATM. The area four hours before the event, was already roped off. And some of the "Insiders" were already there. So I attempt to make it towards the ATM - through the ropes - only to have a freakin' pack of insiders attack me saying "You are not an insider and you don't belong in here. You have to be an insider to be in here. Leave NOW!" And when I told them I was going to just use the ATM - Their response: "Too bad, use the one down the street".. Well it wasn't one of my finest hours. I told them to piss off, and to get off of their high horses - and finished making my way to the ATM.

What I honestly feel alarming is that EPE has in-fact created their own "Frankenstein monster" with the "Insiders". They feel if they pay their dues, they are highly superior to everyone else. But these are the same folks who say "I have everything Elvis ever recorded" and when you ask them if they have the latest FTD they look at you like you are from Mars. And they are the folks buying those damn ducks - because according to them (which I overheard) "Oh, aren't those just DARLING!".....

Now, I am confident not all "insiders" are like described above. But, I can only go by the negative experiences I have personally been through, or have witnessed. And what I described above is just the tip of the iceburgh.

Sorry to get on my soap-box and threadjack. But, one thing lead to the other.......

Jordan

Post by Guest »

carolynlm wrote:I can assure you Jordan, that all 'Insiders' aren't like that.... :lol:
but I agree, a lot of the members don't know what an FTD is let alone ever heard one......One event I went to in 2004 was a talk by Jerry Osbourne...it was really very interesting.....he played about 20 songs that Elvis had released, but he also had the original singers versions. Mostly early stuff. Some of the people around me were not aware that Elvis had recorded these songs, and one lady even told me that Jerry was wrong, because the songs that Elvis recorded, were only ever recorded by him.... :lol:
Yeah -- I truly feel they are all not like that. But my first impressions of a pack of insiders telling me I wasn't allowed to use a public ATM wasn't a good one. I could possibly understand if an event had been going on.. But not 4 hours before.

Another one I always loved from the insiders is when they were screening Aloha in the Plaza theatre, open to the the public..

A gaggle of "Insiders" saying "WOW! I never knew they had released Elvis' last concert! They are even playing it for all of us! Too bad he looks so fat!".
All insiders, ID'd with those little dangly things they wear around their necks to proclaim to the world that they are "insiders"... :roll:

Kylan

Post by Kylan »

Jordans-Elvis-World wrote:
carolynlm wrote:I can assure you Jordan, that all 'Insiders' aren't like that.... :lol:
but I agree, a lot of the members don't know what an FTD is let alone ever heard one......One event I went to in 2004 was a talk by Jerry Osbourne...it was really very interesting.....he played about 20 songs that Elvis had released, but he also had the original singers versions. Mostly early stuff. Some of the people around me were not aware that Elvis had recorded these songs, and one lady even told me that Jerry was wrong, because the songs that Elvis recorded, were only ever recorded by him.... :lol:
Yeah -- I truly feel they are all not like that. But my first impressions of a pack of insiders telling me I wasn't allowed to use a public ATM wasn't a good one. I could possibly understand if an event had been going on.. But not 4 hours before.

Another one I always loved from the insiders is when they were screening Aloha in the Plaza theatre, open to the the public..

A gaggle of "Insiders" saying "WOW! I never knew they had released Elvis' last concert! They are even playing it for all of us! Too bad he looks so fat!".
All insiders, ID'd with those little dangly things they wear around their necks to proclaim to the world that they are "insiders"... :roll:
cmon Jordan, they really were saying that? wow! btw im an Insider, could someone tell me what an FTD is? :lol: im too busy buying Elvis dog tags!

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

It makes you wonder if they don't even know about the music or the history of the TV concerts... where the heck do these people come from? Is it just like a big social club to them?

Were the "Insiders" in the Plaza giving you a hard time Jordan... were they like the good ol trusty blue hairs or were they younger folks?

ps there are at least 2 active fan clubs in Oklahoma that I know of, maybe more.

JEFF d
EP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

Post by Guest »

JEFF d wrote:It makes you wonder if they don't even know about the music or the history of the TV concerts... where the heck to these people come from? Is it just like a big social club to them?

Were the "Insiders" in the Plaza giving you a hard time Jordan... were they like the good ol trusty blue hairs or were they younger folks?

JEFF d
EP fan
First, to answer Kylans question --- YES, they really said that.

Also, the ATM gaggle in the Plaza believe it or not seemed to have a middle aged man as the ringleader - and a mixture of bluehairs and young folks. I don't like being disrespectful of my elders. But I was left no choice in that situation (Hell, I landed the deal of the century and needed to hit the ATM BIGTIME! LOL).

I know that there are many kind folks on this forum who are hardcore fans who are "insiders". And I'm not saying any of this to offend them - as they are really kind, knowledgable folks. And many of whom I've met in person with and have become friends with.

But from everything I've witnessed it appears that's a small percentage of said "insiders". The rest are the oh so famous self proclaimed know-it-alls and bullies. Sad, yes. But true.

Post by Guest »

JEFF d wrote:where the heck do these people come from? Is it just like a big social club to them?

JEFF d
EP fan
Well, a couple people copied and pasted some pretty off the wall things from their forum and emailed me them.. Social Club?? More like Boxing ring without a Ref!!

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by minkahed »

why would anyone want to become an ELvis "Insider" and not know anything about the ALOHA concert :?:

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Topic author
Tom in North Carolina

I was president of the E.P. Express Fan Club in Greensboro for several years and was even recognized by Twyla Dixon as the youngest fan club president in the world. Boy, those were the days. If you ever needed anything from Graceland, you could get her or even Jack on the phone with no problem at all. Then everything changed.

The membership of our club was about 200 in it's heyday (post 8/16/77), but the average age was about 45. As time passed they drifted away, until our annual trip to Memphis in August was down to about 15 or so. I found it nearly impossible to recruit new members as more and more of the old ones left us. Eventually, I left as well (due to business travel requirements) and the club faded into oblivion within a year or so. Damn shame.

Tom

gareth
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by gareth »

minkahed wrote:why would anyone want to become an ELvis "Insider" and not know anything about the ALOHA concert :?:
I can tell you i've been a member of the Elvis Insiders for three years.And i can assure that everyone knows why Elvis did the concert.Maybe Jordan was talking to someone who had only just discovered Elvis.Everyone has to start somewhere.

Topic author
Tom in North Carolina

gareth wrote:I can tell you i've been a member of the Elvis Insiders for three years.And i can assure that everyone knows why Elvis did the concert.
How can you possibly attest to what everyone else knows?? I find that statement a bit hinky.

Tom

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Tom in North Carolina wrote:I was president of the E.P. Express Fan Club in Greensboro for several years and was even recognized by Twyla Dixon as the youngest fan club president in the world. Boy, those were the days. If you ever needed anything from Graceland, you could get her or even Jack on the phone with no problem at all. Then everything changed.

The membership of our club was about 200 in it's heyday (post 8/16/77), but the average age was about 45. As time passed they drifted away, until our annual trip to Memphis in August was down to about 15 or so. I found it nearly impossible to recruit new members as more and more of the old ones left us. Eventually, I left as well (due to business travel requirements) and the club faded into oblivion within a year or so. Damn shame.

Tom
I used to get mail from you guys mid 80s to early 90s I think! Cool! :)

Topic author
Tom in North Carolina

JLGB wrote: I used to get mail from you guys mid 80s to early 90s I think! Cool! :)
Yeah, you still owe us $478.95 in back membership dues.

Tom

Renan
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Post by Renan »

JLGB wrote: I used to get mail from you guys mid 80s to early 90s I think! Cool! :)

Tom
:lol: :lol: :lol:

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Tom
Really? :shock:

gareth
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by gareth »

gareth wrote:I can tell you i've been a member of the Elvis Insiders for three years.And i can assure that everyone knows why Elvis did the concert.
How can you possibly attest to what everyone else knows?? I find that statement a bit hinky.

Tom
Ok i shouldn't have said ''everyone''.I should have said everyone i've spoken to.

Barry

fan clubs

Post by Barry »

Any Canadian fan clubs??????

TCB TED
Registered for: 19 years

Post by TCB TED »

Absolutely.

There was an excellent fan club run out of Hamilton, Ontario, called
"Elvis In Canada".

It was run by a wonderful, knowledgeable woman, Fran Roberts.
She also ran a Sunday night radio show on FM108 out of Burlington.

I was a memeber, and received monthly newsletters and attended the annual convention. The club died of in the early '90's, but prior to the internet, it was the only way to obtain Elvis news.

I've often wondered what became of Fran Roberts. A very nice lady.

Axeman
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by Axeman »

I used to be in the Blue Hawaiians Fan Club in California, run by Sue Weigert (sp?). She can be seen in the original TTWII (the scene with the cat). This was in the early 80's and she was very nice. Eventually I dropped out after a few years, but she had self-published a couple of books recanting her experences hanging at the gates in LA in the 60's, and of course seeing the Vegas shows through the years.

Is that club still around? I think I recall hearing that Sue passed away a few years back.

Those were the days...I was still a kid, and there was SO much more Elvis to discover...it was magical.

Axe

minni1
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by minni1 »

gareth wrote:
minkahed wrote:why would anyone want to become an ELvis "Insider" and not know anything about the ALOHA concert :?:
I can tell you i've been a member of the Elvis Insiders for three years.And i can assure that everyone knows why Elvis did the concert.Maybe Jordan was talking to someone who had only just discovered Elvis.Everyone has to start somewhere.
I too belong to the Insiders, gotta get a discount for those prices for everything.
I can assure you that the majority are nice people some very knowledgeable, some not so much. The reason they probably thought it was Elvis' last concert is EPE's steadfast rufusal to acknowledge that there were some incredible moments in Elvis' career post Aloha!
Some are pompous asses! And some are jusr downright cruel, especially to newcomers.

Riverfront Coliseum Cincinnati, Ohio, June 25, 1977